97 northstar balancer removal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 97 northstar balancer removal in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; anyone have any tricks or suggestions as to breaking the balancer loose. Motor is out of the car, and I've ...
    Taspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Cadillac SLS

97 northstar balancer removal

anyone have any tricks or suggestions as to breaking the balancer loose. Motor is out of the car, and I've tried the impact to no avail. I know some newer cars have a torque to yeild torque sequence that equivicates to around 300 ft lbs, and I usually would break it loose before removing the engine by using a breaker bar and bumping the motor over. I did not have that luxury this time though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 97 northstar balancer removal

i think i figured this one out. stick something in the cam timing gear

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

I hope you were kidding with that last statement- lol

Engines out of the car right? Cut a piece of heavy flat stock or angle stock that bolts across the two lower bellhousing bolt holes and have a hole drilled that will allow you to place a pin through your piece of steel stock and the flywheel converter bolt hole. This will hold the crankshaft as you break that bolt loose.

Otherwise, you will need a special tool that holds the flywheel from underneath between the trans/engine.

I for one am also against using the starter to crack any balancer bolt loose. Not really sure why, I'm just afraid of breaking things. With my luck I'd strip the flywheel and break the nosecone on the starter

well the tranny is still attached. that option is a VERY last resort as i don't want to break it loose.

AJ would probably know the correct name of the flywheel holder tool GM uses. I built my own using part of a broken flywheel- $5 worth of steel and a 1/2 hour's work. My advice would be to build or buy the flywheel holder tool, or separate the engine from the trans.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The Northstar flywheel holder is nothing more than a strip of 3 gear teeth on a bar with 2 holes which you bolt in place of the starter motor to lock the flywheel. The transmission does not have to come off.

If you try to lock a cam gear, don't forget that the drive ratio is 2:1. 300 ft/lb torque on the crank bolt would then = 600 ft/lb at the cam gear.

well, this really wasn't a hard one to figure out for me, and thanks for the advice guys. I ended up getting a bigger impact zipped it right off

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.