Cadillac Owners Forum banner

97 northstar balancer removal

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Taspeed 
#1 ·
anyone have any tricks or suggestions as to breaking the balancer loose. Motor is out of the car, and I've tried the impact to no avail. I know some newer cars have a torque to yeild torque sequence that equivicates to around 300 ft lbs, and I usually would break it loose before removing the engine by using a breaker bar and bumping the motor over. I did not have that luxury this time though.

#3 ·
I hope you were kidding with that last statement- lol

Engines out of the car right? Cut a piece of heavy flat stock or angle stock that bolts across the two lower bellhousing bolt holes and have a hole drilled that will allow you to place a pin through your piece of steel stock and the flywheel converter bolt hole. This will hold the crankshaft as you break that bolt loose.

Otherwise, you will need a special tool that holds the flywheel from underneath between the trans/engine.

#7 ·
The Northstar flywheel holder is nothing more than a strip of 3 gear teeth on a bar with 2 holes which you bolt in place of the starter motor to lock the flywheel. The transmission does not have to come off.

If you try to lock a cam gear, don't forget that the drive ratio is 2:1. 300 ft/lb torque on the crank bolt would then = 600 ft/lb at the cam gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.