Low speed stall
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Low speed stall in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I really need some help. My 99 Seville SLS stalls at low speeds, I drive 58 miles to and from ...
    jerry23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Unhappy Low speed stall

I really need some help. My 99 Seville SLS stalls at low speeds, I drive
    58 miles to and from work with no issues until I slow down for traffic jam or to get off at my exits. This only happens when I get to a very low speed and not always. I have had the TCC solenoid replaced because I was told that was it. It was OK through the winter, but now that its warming up a bit, it stalls regularly at low speeds. The only code I can get from the display is a 1599 code (stall condition)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Low speed stall

Try cleaning the TB and the EGR valve, even though the EGR should set a code if it was sticking open.

Thanks Ranger, I tried both of those things. The throttle body was all gummed up and the EGR was clean. I have read many posts and thought about replacing the Crank Position Sensors even though I don't get any related codes. Do you think that might be it?

CKP sensors do not always set a DTC. '99's where not part of the bad batch, but your symptoms do match. It would be a shot in the dark.

I'll give it a shot and let you know if it helps. If anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate it. This is very frustrating and dangerous.

I haven't replaced the CKP sensors yet but I did remove the IAC valve to look at it and it was full of carbon deposits. It idles smoother now and has not stalled until today. I got off at an exit going from 70 down to around 35 slowly. I noticed at one point while slowing down the tach suddenly dropped until I gave it gas and it recovered before stalling. Could this be related to the speed sensor on top of the tranny? Ranger or Sub are you out there?

That would be the VSS. Not sure what happens when that fails, but it should set a DTC.

Ranger no codes have been set. This is becoming a dangerous situation. Any other thoughts?

Other than wild guesses, I'm out of ideas.

2009chopper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 deville

i think ranger is right....i had the same thing happen on my 2000 dts. i would pull up to a light and it would stall, took it in and it was the crank sensor. they replaced it and it worked great after that.

A TCC clutch not disengaging would stall the engine as well. Just like trying to stop a standard transmission car without stepping on the clutch. That said, it should set a DTC (P0742 I think).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.