Cooling system tablets after HG job
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Cooling system tablets after HG job in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; So I have finished my HG job and addressed my oil pressure issue (was timing case tensioners btw), so lately ...
    [NortHStaR] is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille

Cooling system tablets after HG job

So I have finished my HG job and addressed my oil pressure issue (was timing case tensioners btw), so lately I have been combing the forums for special maintenance procedures after the HG job is completed, now I believe I have figured out how I'm going to go about most things but one thing I have read mixed reviews on is using sealant tablets after the head gasket job some say use them and some say not to.

So my obvious question to everybody is what should I do should I use them or should I not?

Any other special things I need to do after a HG job are welcomed as well

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Cooling system tablets after HG job

Quote Originally Posted by [NortHStaR] View Post
    ....I have read mixed reviews on is using sealant tablets after the head gasket job some say use them and some say not to.
    The mixed reviews probably result from Cadillac's decision to stop installing the cooling system supplement material in 2000 vehicles (or whatever year it was).

My guess is Cadillac made that decision because of reports of owner's concern over what "looked like" rust accumulation in the coolant reservoir. The accumulation is nothing more than (harmless) cooling system supplement that has dropped out of solution and is visible in the most harmless of all possible locations (the reservoir).

It could not possibly be "rust" because there is no ferrous material in the cooling system.

I maintain a (heavy) dose of the supplement material in my '98 Seville cooling system. And that has saved me from catastrophic leaks on several occasions during my 181,000 mile history with the car. Small leaks I can find at my convenience and that has happened. Major leaks would put me on the shoulder of the road and that has not happened.

Cheap insurance. Your decision.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Thanks for the quick replys guys, I guess I will go ahead and use the tablets then if they arent going to hurt anything.

Once agian thank you

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You can't go wrong using them (I think), though I no longer do in any of my cars after removing the radiator cap on my wifes 3800. It was so loaded with that crap, I was surprised that the valve in it even worked any more. Made me wonder what the heater core and radiator looked like. That plus the fact that GM no longer uses them on a regular basis. Just my $0.02

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Hard to say exactly when the Seville/Deville/Eldorado series stopped using the GM supplement. My 2002 has the radiator sight shield sticker and Factory Service Manual notices to use the supplement - 3 tablets in the lower radiator hose - both pics have been posted several times.

My personal opinion of the supplement and its clogging problems is the usual result of a DIY person falling for the common mistake: "If a little is good, more must be better".

The OP's question and his car year put him squarely in the middle of the supplement-recommended year group.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You can't go wrong using them (I think), though I no longer do in any of my cars after removing the radiator cap on my wifes 3800. It was so loaded with that crap, I was surprised that the valve in it even worked any more. Made me wonder what the heater core and radiator looked like. That plus the fact that GM no longer uses them on a regular basis. Just my $0.02
    I have no recent experience with the V6 3800; at least not since 1998. And I saw no evidence that GM was using the cooling supplement in the 3800 engine in my 1990 Bonneville (which developed minor cooling system leaks).

We have no way to compare the coolant flow rates for the (different) engines/water pumps at various engine speeds.

Empirically, I conclude that Northstar engines (water pumps) push the coolant through the cooling sytem fast enough to promote accumulation of undesireable products (air, supplements, or whatever) in the coolant reservoir (which is the highest point in the cooling system) rather than the radiator or HVAC heater core or hoses.

WOT therapy is a good thing for many reasons.

Well Jim, you got me thinking, so I went and checked the FSM ('96). No mention of cooling system supplement. I guess the Guru just had me using them in everything. Now I use them in nothing. Go figure.

Insurance.

I may have started using them when the intake manifold started leaking at the TB.

Thank you so much for all your help guys!

And just as a side note I had an oldsmobile eighty eight with the 3800 series a couple years back and I never saw anything that would lead me to believe that it had used sealant tablets in its lifetime....

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

I added the powdered version when I bought my '99 in '04 and did a coolant replacement. I recently had to have my heater core flushed because I had no heat. I wonder if the supplement had anything to do with it. I haven't added it to my fresh coolant yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.