why are the northstar engines always catching on fire?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, why are the northstar engines always catching on fire? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i know of three motors in person and i was also on car-parts.com and there are plenty on there that ...
    sinclairtay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question why are the northstar engines always catching on fire?

i know of three motors in person and i was also on car-parts.com and there are plenty on there that are burnt. my motor burned on me two weeks ago. what is the problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

Re: why are the northstar engines always catching on fire?

Maybe the recalled fuel lines? The plastic fuel lines have been recalled and will be replaced with stainless steel ones. Look around the board and you should be able to find some more info.....

Logan
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandiagnostic.com

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Bingo!

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

uh.... Those aren't f---s .....they are thermal incidents.....

Quote Originally Posted by sinclairtay
    i know of three motors in person and i was also on car-parts.com and there are plenty on there that are burnt. my motor burned on me two weeks ago. what is the problem?

BTW.....sinclairtay's motor is a 94 if I am not mistaken (from an earlier post reference). Those had absolutely no problems with the plastic fuel rails. The 93/94 engines have the fuel rail inside the intake where it is protected from the higher underhood temps seen on the later engines at the external fuel rails. With the lower temps of the 93/94 fuel rails there is no problem with the rail leaking and the 93/94 engines are not part of the re-cal issue with the replacement stainless steel lines......

More likely something like a fue pressure regulator was ruptured and leaking internally inside the manifold causing the overpressurization of the intake in his case and the resulting thermal event.....

Was the car hard to get started when doing a hot restart...???...did it crank for a long time before starting prior to the incident..???

my car was leaking fuel through my pipes about twice a day heavily. cadillac told me it was an injector that was bad. i replaced the injector and evey since each fuel rail that i put in the car catches on fire when i turn the key. i was told that my cadillac converter might have been closed up and the fuel is being sent back up into my intake manifold.

serious question from a cadillac expert on northstar motors.

my car was leaking raw fuel into my cadillac converter on a 94 cadillaceldorado touring coupe. i changed the injectors and i turned the key and my intake manifold blew off and it caught on fire. the second time i replaced the whole fuel rail and injectors and i went to turn the key and my intake blew off again and it caught on fire. a mechanic told me that my car leaked so much raw fuel for so long in my converter that it burned my hole shut on it. my converter cannot breathe so it is sending blowback up in my intake manifold. can this be the case?

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

So i wont have any problem with my car catching on fire since u mention a 93/94 have no problem

Sean McDonald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: serious question from a cadillac expert on northstar motors.

It is very possible for that to be the case with your "catalytic" converter. There'd be a lot of pressure in that relatively short length of piping.

my car was leaking raw fuel into my cadillac converter on a 94 cadillaceldorado touring coupe. i changed the injectors and i turned the key and my intake manifold blew off and it caught on fire. the second time i replaced the whole fuel rail and injectors and i went to turn the key and my intake blew off again and it caught on fire. a mechanic told me that my car leaked so much raw fuel for so long in my converter that it burned my hole shut on it. my converter cannot breathe so it is sending blowback up in my intake manifold. can this be the case?

Possible but unlikely I would say....

Sounds like there was an excessive amount of fuel in the manifold even after the repairs causing the overpressurization of the manifold on startup...

The melted or plugged cats that I have seen have specifically just caused loss of performance. The flow at startup/cranking speeds is so low that unless the cat were completely blocked it should still flow enough to allow the engine to start.

The cat may have gotten melted due to the excessive amount of fuel going thru it...but I doubt that that is your problem causing the backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by 94CaddyConcours
    So i wont have any problem with my car catching on fire since u mention a 93/94 have no problem
    Cars can catch fire for a number of reasons. So your statement/question is incorrect.

P.S. This and the "serious question" thread have been merged.
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

Bobby your my best consultant.
    Will I have a problem with my cat, it turn really red and look like it bout to melt. And when I take one side of the fuel injector fuses out It doesn't turn red or somtime the fuse will burn out. This really piss me off.

And for all of you who have a magnesium intake, whenever it catch on fire never use water always use a fire exteguisher or sometype of dry powder. I'm an Aviation Technician Major and Magnesium act violently or cause more damage when put out by water when on fire.

OlManRivah is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

my car was leaking fuel through my pipes about twice a day heavily. cadillac told me it was an injector that was bad. i replaced the injector and evey since each fuel rail that i put in the car catches on fire when i turn the key. i was told that my cadillac converter might have been closed up and the fuel is being sent back up into my intake manifold.
    I would suggest you take this vehicle to a qualified Cadillac Dealer and get it fixed with the accompanied repair warrenty.

Before you get hurt or your pasengers hurt.

If your cat is getting red hot then likely it has been damaged to the point where it is not cleaning up the emissions anymore and very well may be plugging due to the melting of the monolith inside.

Not sure why the fuse is blowing....sounds like that group of injectors is stuck open (or one of them is) due to a short in the wires from the injectors to the PCM. That would keep the injectors open all the time.

Magnesium fires are truely hard to put out....but a fire in the 93/94 intake manifolds is not a magnesium fire. It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to ignite the magnesium in cast form like the manifold or the cam covers. Take a torch to a piece of mag and see. It is just about impossible to "ignite" it. POWDERED magnesium, however, is very very very flammable..to the point of being explosive. Powdered metals of most any kind are flammable like that. The space shuttle solid rocket boosters utilize powdered aluminum I understand....it burns pretty good , too, but you cannot "light" cast aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by 94CaddyConcours
    Bobby your my best consultant.
    Will I have a problem with my cat, it turn really red and look like it bout to melt. And when I take one side of the fuel injector fuses out It doesn't turn red or somtime the fuse will burn out. This really piss me off.

And for all of you who have a magnesium intake, whenever it catch on fire never use water always use a fire exteguisher or sometype of dry powder. I'm an Aviation Technician Major and Magnesium act violently or cause more damage when put out by water when on fire.

97Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Be Thankfull you don't own a new Honda CR-V

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5403348/

Several newer Honda CR-Vs catch fire
    SUVs burst into flames shortly after their first oil changes.

Honda concluded it was a "technician's error"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.