1999 STS Traction Control off......Unable to turn it on.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1999 STS Traction Control off......Unable to turn it on. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Traction Control off......Unable to turn it on. Just bought a 1999 Seville STS with two that I hope are simple ...
    alexleesalinas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac STS

1999 STS Traction Control off......Unable to turn it on.

Traction Control off......Unable to turn it on.
    Just bought a 1999 Seville STS with two that I hope are simple easy to fix problems. The Traction Control is off and I am not able to turn it off. I press the button and nothing....Not sure if its related, but the car is really slow at full throttle from dead stop. It does not set me back on my sit like I've read that it should. When I bought it was equiped with 20" wheels and don't think that is a problem. I set the original wheels side by side with little difference in height. Hoping that it is an easy fix.

Which muffler is recommanded and which one should I buy?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Re: 1999 STS Traction Control off......Unable to turn it on.

The best thing to do is check for codes using your in-dash code scanner. Look in Seville/Eldo forums for information about how to pull them. That should tell you what you need to get it fixed. Anything "Current" is where we need to start.

STSj90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 STS N* TOTALED

I think with traction control off it disables first gear. So thats more than likely why its sluggish on take off.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yeah, there are some failures (DTC's) that will disable TCC & 1st gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    The best thing to do is check for codes using your in-dash code scanner. Look in Seville/Eldo forums for information about how to pull them. That should tell you what you need to get it fixed. Anything "Current" is where we need to start.
    Have Code C1217...Forgot to mention that I also had the ABS & Traction being displayed on the dash. Front heated seats don't work either. Read that the ignition switch could or is the problem. ?????????????

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

There was a thread not to long ago with a guy who had the exact symptoms you describe. His car would randomly set these codes, and I believe he suspected the ignition switch. He is supposed to be getting it fixed soon.

EDIT: Here is the thread
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...9-seville.html

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You have a fair amount of change to spend correcting the ABS/TC problems. That is your first priority and is why the transmission is defaulted into a second gear start and TC is commanded off. No way around it unless you fix the basic problems.

Front heated seats are usually burned/broken heater elements. Requires complete removal and disassembly of the seat and then either solder the element break(s) or install new service replacements.

The CORSA exhaust system will give you a few HP at redline, nothing in the midrange (same for all others), and unlike all the others, will not drone you out of the car. BUT it's going for around $1200 - $1450 online. Easy install but you must have a frame lift. A simple muffler exchange does absolutely nothing except make more noise and hummmmmmm !!!!!! all day.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    There was a thread not to long ago with a guy who had the exact symptoms you describe. His car would randomly set these codes, and I believe he suspected the ignition switch. He is supposed to be getting it fixed soon.

EDIT: Here is the thread
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...9-seville.html
    To make sure the relay was working....I turned on the car and removed the relay (IGN3). I could hear and feel it trip when I would try to put back in and the abs/tcs would go off but than come back just as quick. Also when i would do what I just mentioned, I could hear a click coming form the front of the car and thats when I would get the ABS/TCS on the dash. My rear view mirrow would go off and on as well which means that my relay was working all this time and my problem was not that my relay wasnt getting voltage required to trip. My ground is good(no rust) so my next step is to check is the connections on the ABS/TCS......

Do you guys think my ABS/TCS is dead?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by alexleesalinas View Post
    ....Do you guys think my ABS/TCS is dead?
    Well.... can't be sure what is dead or dying but your "C" code is pointing right at the condition;
    C1217 - Pump Motor Shorted to Ground

The pump motor in question is part of the EBTCM. With some time and tools, it is possible to remove the EBTCM, open it up and repair the short circuit condition, or replace the motor. Sourcing the motor might be a challenge.

It would be worth carefully inspecting the chassis wiring harness at the EBTCM before throwing any money at the problem.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

The motor is on the BMPV section of the ABS unit (the fluid side of the unit). Assuming its not a problem in the wiring, or the connector to the EBTM or the smaller one below it going from the EBTM to the pump motor itself, your looking at a new BMPV. Get one off of Ebay or a bone yard, as they list for about 800 bucks from a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
    The motor is on the BMPV section of the ABS unit (the fluid side of the unit). Assuming its not a problem in the wiring, or the connector to the EBTM or the smaller one below it going from the EBTM to the pump motor itself, your looking at a new BMPV. Get one off of Ebay or a bone yard, as they list for about 800 bucks from a dealer.
    So there is two parts...The EBTM and BMPV....

The BMPV is that one that looks like a cylinder and the EBTM has all the lines going into it...right...does any body have a picture of it?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Here's the EBCM from a 2002 Seville - you go in by removing the driver's wheel/tire and inner fender liner to gain access. Clean everything to hospital grade then, beginning with electrical connections, take it apart. You are in for no picnic.

The ABS unit is down in the drivers side front corner of the engine compartment, under the water pump and radiator hoses and consists of the BMPV half, and the EBCM half. The EBCM is basically the control unit for the whole assembly and contains 12 coils that operate solenoid valves in the BMPV half that open and close to apply and release the brakes at each wheel as needed based on the individual wheel speeds. Thats what makes the horrible buzzing sound when the abs system engages. The pump supplies the required fluid to keep the pressure up in the system. The BMPV is the inner half of the unit (closest to the engine) and the EBCM is the outer half (closest to the wheelwell). The BMPV has at least 6 brake line connections on it and requires the brakes to be bled if you remove it, it also contains the ABS pump (cylindrical thing sticking out the engine side of the unit). The EBCM is purely electronic and is held onto the BMPV with 6 small screws. Other than those 6 screws it has a large electrical connector that receives the power and control wiring from the car, and a smaller connector on the bottom of it that passes power to the ABS pump unit. The EBTM is easy to replace if you pull the inner sheild out of the drivers side wheelwell. The BMPV is not as fun mainly because the brake lines all have a tendancy to rust down in that corner of the engine compartment and are real easy to break. Also if you buy a brand new ABS unit that has never been programmed, it needs to be done by a dealer, if it came out of an existing car its usually not a problem. There are also at least 2 different types of EBCM/BMPV units. One for cars with active braking and one for cars with just reguolar ABS. If your getting a service suspension message along with traction control and ABS messages then you have active braking (RPO JL4 I think). If you just have traction control and ABS warnings then you have a regular ABS system.

In the picture above item 3 is the BMPV and item 4 is the EBCM (or EBTCM depending on what people call them). Item 1 is the main electrical connector the the EBCM and item 2 is the connector from the EBCM to the ABS pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
    In the picture above item 3 is the BMPV and item 4 is the EBCM (or EBTCM depending on what people call them). Item 1 is the main electrical connector the the EBCM and item 2 is the connector from the EBCM to the ABS pump.
    The code I am getting is Code C1217 Pump motor short to ground...Has any body tried to repair it themselfs or tried to find where the short to ground is in the Pump..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.