1999 Cadillac Seville OVERHEATING :(
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1999 Cadillac Seville OVERHEATING :( in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I bought a 99 seville in Jan. with 108,000 miles. I drove to Kansas City, MO from Wisconsin two days ...
    benmack is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1999 Cadillac Seville OVERHEATING :(

I bought a 99 seville in Jan. with 108,000 miles. I drove to Kansas City, MO from Wisconsin two days after I bought it (moved). The car drove fine. The first weekend I drove downtown the car overheated. I found some threads online that say it is the head gasket. I brought the car to a cadillac dealership and they said "yes it is the head gasket". I brought the car to another place and they ran a test (mixed some liquid with the coolant and did not see a color change) and found not to be a head gasket. This mechanic stated there is nothing wrong with the head gasket and replaced the fan sensore and sent me on my way. One week later I drove downtown and the temp has from the middle about an 1/8 inch (about 3/4 of the gauge). After it raised it went back down after about a minute. When I pull off from a stop light I can hear air bubbles. I need help and hoping this is an easy fix before I drive it back to WI to the dealership to get fixed.

Any help PLEASE!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: 1999 Cadillac Seville OVERHEATING :(

There is an air purge line that begins at a hollow bolt above the water pump cover and flows through the throttle body and terminates at the top of the coolant reservoir. Be 100% certain that line is flowing a slow steady trickle of coolant by removing the rubber hose from the top of the reservoir with the engine at idle (cold engine!!).

If there is no coolant flow, locate and remove the blockage.

Once the air is purged from the system, you can expect the coolant level in the reservoir to drop a little so keep an eye on the level. Once again, with a cold engine.

I took your advice Jim and checked for blockage. The coolant was flowing good and fast. The noise (water bubbles) is coming from the console. Any other options or thoughts?????????

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Has to be in the heater core....they can be a PITA to purge of all air bubbles. Try a few judicious high rpm moderate accelerations in gear position 2. Let the engine run up to the 1 - 2 shift with moderate throttle and then ease it up to over 5000 rpm and let it coast back down. Watch the temp gauge (it probably won't move) and do it again. Let the car cool, and maintain the coolant level at about halfway up the tank, cool.

It will make the bubbling sound even when in park and i raise the RPM's, I can start to hear it at about 2000 RPM's. Do you think the heater core needs to be replaced or is there a way to bleed the system (if brought into a mechanic). I need to try and figure out if it is worth driving back to WI (still under warranty) from Kansas City, MO or pay to get fixed here.

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV

If you still have warranty I would take it back imo.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

yeah, change the water pump, check the purge line, change the t stat and do all of what everyone is telling you to do. After you get done wasting all that time and money................it'll be the head gaskets. I'm rarely wrong on this.

Thats is what I am guessing it is after everything I have read. Is there a reason when I had the dye test done it showed nothing?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Maybe they did the test wrong. You can't do it after you add fresh coolant or it will give a false negative. From what you are saying I doubt you'll make it to Wisc. Your symptoms do not sound promising I hate to say.

That's what I am afraid of. Towing is not in the warranty. I am trying to eliminate everything so I am 100% confident in spending the money to get the car back to WI.

Read the warranty closely and talk to them first. Some warranties have loopholes. I'd hate to see you go through the trouble and expense to get it back up here only to have them say oops, sorry.

I read it upside down and backwords. Have been dealing with them since the end of Jan. The only way they will fix it is if I bring it up there or they will send me a check for $2500 to get it fixed here but the cheapest I have found is $3500 after taxs.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

You're very lucky to have a warranty that covers HG's. Most people are left to pay the $3500 to get them fixed. Oh btw, make sure that warranty includes timeserting. Most don't, and if the car isn't timeserted it will fail again.

Yeah, even if you have to foot the Timeserts out of your own pocket, DO IT.

Is there something I can do to make sure they fix the hg? I don't want to bring it all the way up there and have them do the same die with coolant test and tell me it's not the hg.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.