Increasing fuel efficiency
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Increasing fuel efficiency in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have searched trying to find some tips and suggestions for making these engine as fuel efficient as possible for ...
    smoothcruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

Increasing fuel efficiency

I have searched trying to find some tips and suggestions for making these engine as fuel efficient as possible for long highway trips. I pick up a 2005 De ville on monday and am looking at what can be done to make this car even better for travelling. The car has 49,000 on it so I have had the scheduled 50,000 mile service done already, new Michelin Harmony tires installed, load balanced and filled with nitrogen. (Free service from auto seller). Thinking about a KandN air filter. Thought I might do my first trip with stock filter and then replace and compare the results.
    The car had a slight whine in the steering unit when the wheel was turned 3/4 of the way to the left. Turing right was fine. The dealer said that the PS hose needed replacing. Any thougts? Suggestions? Links to threads I couldn't find?
    Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Increasing fuel efficiency

The factory already did it for you. You should see 26+ MPG highway. Not bad for a full size , 275 HP, 4000# luxury car. Skip the K&N and stick with a factory pleated filter. K&N will pass more dirt. The factory filter is not restrictive, even at WOT it will pass all the air the the Northstar can handle.

About the only thing that may improve mileage a bit is to pump up the tires.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

As Ranger said, run about 34 psi COLD in the tires and do not bleed them hot. A recent GM Technical Bulletin reminds owners that the benefits of nitrogen filled passenger car tires are slim and none (Don't forget that the air we breathe is 80% nitrogen already...). Your car will run just fine on 87 octane gas, but Google "top tier gasoline" and do some studying. If you feel that an air filter may be of some help, take a look at a WIX or NAPA Gold panel filter which has excellent filtration and more surface area than ACDelco or Fram. You already have a very efficient cold air intake system, so throwing money away on aftermarket hype is not the answer. If you go crazy and upset the air/fuel ratios beyond design and control parameters, you'll have driveability problems.

Yes, GM has already done your performance and economy homework. Keep it clean and drive the snot out of it.

If the steering has a slight whine at some turn radius, and is not leaking fluid, drive the car for a while, keep an eye on the p/s fluid level, HOT, and do not overfill it.

Know that your transmission is a dry sump unit and will show NO fluid on the dipstick with the engine off. Check it only in P, engine running, warm. Do not fill past halfway up the hashmarks.

Same with the 5W-30 engine oil - DO NOT fill it past halfway up the ADD-MAX hashmark. Good brand of oil, either standard or synthetic, whatever tickles your fancy.

Go to the top of the page, in the black bar, and rear the entire Cadillac Technical Archive.

smoothcruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville

The nitrogen in the tires is something that this delaer does to all the vehicles he sells. Even includes 1 year of free nitrogen top offs if needed. With the power steering, I figured that since it is almost out of warranty it would be a good idea to have them check it out as a condition of the sale. I have never even considered an extended warranty on anything before, car or otherwise but I have had to people suggest it for a cadillac because of the higher repair prices. Seems like two grand would cover a lot of repairs though.
    Filling halfway is a good tip. I usually top off right to the full mark.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Tips on saving gas:

~Keep weights low; dont take what you dont need and clean out the car so there isn't any garbage in it when you go out.
    ~Fill up tires; Although you will save gas by doing this, you will reduce the life of your tires by almost half.
    ~Keep low rpms; slow and smooth is more energy efficient than the "Punch it! We're getting on the freeway!" method
    ~Turn off the engine in traffic jams; Although you may love that cold a/c blasting your face, you're wasting gas
    ~Stay on top of engine maintenance; there are many many many elements on the engine that make it efficient. If you miss a tune up, you could be paying for it in gas.
    ~High octane gasoline will give you better gas mileage by about 2-3mpg and it's $0.20 more expensive than the other stuff, that's $3.40 and up to 51 more miles you could travel (17gal tank). Even with the extra gallon or so that you can buy with the lower octane gas, you wouldnt match the range of the higher octane. This makes the higher octane gas a better deal.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You will pay someone $2,000.00 up front, right now, for an "extended warranty" that you will have to fight tooth and nail to make them honor. Better to take the money and stick it in a money market: it remains your dollars, you get the interest, and you can use it for emergencies. Don't fall for the same shell game that the government plays with your tax money.

Nitrogen is another form of snake oil. Yes, you get it "free" now, but the service will bite you in the butt after the year is up......for zilch gain. Hate to burst your bubble, but even GM says it ain't worth the trouble.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Way out of the capabilities of most, including myself, (but something I have experimented with) building yourself a gasoline vapor injection system. I hit over 50 MPG with my 1989 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Touring Sedan, 3.8 liter engine. I used an electric air pump to force air through a reserve tank of gasoline, forcing the vapors into the engine. O2 sensors automatically tell the injectors to cut back on fuel.

It's been done numerous times in the past, starting with a guy by the name of Charles N. Pogue, in 1935, who resided in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. I managed to get a small 5hp engine driving a 78amp alternator to use only 1/4 of the fuel by running it on fuel vapor. The engine ran cool and the exhaust was so clean you could blow dry your hair with it. I could breath the exhaust- no smell, but of course there would still be CO and CO2 in the exhaust that you have to be careful of.

But in order to work flawlessly there are so many things to work out, and safety is another concern altogether. I would love to work on this further and adapt it to my supercharged Northstar plan, but there's just so much involved. The gasoline has to be heated to above it's boiling point (90 degrees F) and even higher to promote TCC. But I've seen it work, done it myself.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

BlackCaddy87 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Cadillac Concours

i cut a small square in the my intake where it dips under the the washer fluid. its on the side facing the bumper cover. another thing that kills gas mileage is cruising at 80. 80 vs 70 is a big mpg difference

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    Way out of the capabilities of most, including myself, (but something I have experimented with) building yourself a gasoline vapor injection system. I hit over 50 MPG with my 1989 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Touring Sedan, 3.8 liter engine. I used an electric air pump to force air through a reserve tank of gasoline, forcing the vapors into the engine. O2 sensors automatically tell the injectors to cut back on fuel.

It's been done numerous times in the past, starting with a guy by the name of Charles N. Pogue, in 1935, who resided in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. I managed to get a small 5hp engine driving a 78amp alternator to use only 1/4 of the fuel by running it on fuel vapor. The engine ran cool and the exhaust was so clean you could blow dry your hair with it. I could breath the exhaust- no smell, but of course there would still be CO and CO2 in the exhaust that you have to be careful of.

But in order to work flawlessly there are so many things to work out, and safety is another concern altogether. I would love to work on this further and adapt it to my supercharged Northstar plan, but there's just so much involved. The gasoline has to be heated to above it's boiling point (90 degrees F) and even higher to promote TCC. But I've seen it work, done it myself.
    That's interesting... I've heard of water injection systems that improve gas mileage. It uses one water injector in the TB to spray a mist in the intake. The water goes into the cylinders and when the fuel ignites the water turns to steam giving a more powerful BANG.

You dont want to put too much water in though because you risk hydrolocking the engine. Other than that it's cheap, clears the cylinders of carbon, and gives you better gas mileage.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The purpose of water injection is to cool the intake air on a supercharged engine. It originated during WWII as a means of being able to pull higher boost without detonation. Alcohol was added to the water to keep it from freezing in cool climates and high altitudes.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post

Maybe you could partner up with D3 and get it on the market. It sounds just like the flavor of snake oil that would appeal to them. LOL

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/fish3.htm
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

PSRmark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Maybe you could partner up with D3 and get it on the market. It sounds just like the flavor of snake oil that would appeal to them. LOL

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/fish3.htm
    Wow, I'm biting my tongue.

But I'm sure you are just looking for something to pass the time, just looking for a reaction.

are you only good for ?

I've added my 2 cents about you now, you are on my ignore list. Congrats, you're the first

The purpose of water injection is to cool the intake air on a supercharged engine. It originated during WWII as a means of being able to pull higher boost without detonation. Alcohol was added to the water to keep it from freezing in cool climates and high altitudes.
    Except that the engine I'm talking about is my Auto Tech instructors old friends which has no form of forced induction at all. Just an old toyota 4 banger.

Nothing that I mentioned in that post is impossible. Gasoline vaporizes. The vapor burns. Heat helps it vaporize. I didn't believe an engine could be run purely on the vapors coming off a pool of gasoline until I tried it. I won't say efficiency like 200MPG is possible, because I don't believe it, but I know for a fact that VFI does increase efficiency. I will not argue about it, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But how much efficiency can be gained is something I don't know. I know that it would take a lot of engineering to get a VFI system to operate properly. More time and research than I am able to give a project like that so screw it, I'm happy getting 25MPG in a 300HP car.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r186...ar-gets-92-MPG

The car is small. But check out the figures. The 1/4 mile time isn't too bad for a car that gets 92MPG. It's not a Cadillac, that's for sure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.