Bonneville GXP 1/4 mile times
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Bonneville GXP 1/4 mile times in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    NorthStarGXP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Bonneville GXP, gutted airbox, 14.64 @ 95.54

Bonneville GXP 1/4 mile times

Iíve only had my GXP to the track one time, back in September 07. I posted this up on a Bonneville site at the time, but thought I would post it over here as well. The runs were made at Thunder Valley raceway in Noble, OK.

At the time, my car had a partially gutted airbox. Since then, Iíve fully gutted the airbox including a bigger inlet, and cleaned up the throttle body entrance with a die grinder. Traction was not very good that night, as evidenced by my 60-foot times. Not really sure what my car weighs, but I would assume its at least 300lbs lighter than a Caddy.

Temp was a steady 67 degrees the entire evening per my Climate control display. It seemed to be fairly humid. There was no significant wind that I noticed.

I run 93 octane in this car exclusively. I had about ĺ of a tank of gas before I left for the track, and I added about 3/4 of a gallon of tolulene. That might not be beneficial for an N/A car, but I thought it might give me an edge. I did several WOT pulls in town and on the highway thinking that the PCM might respond with more timing to go with the slightly better fuel. By the time I got to the track, I had just over ľ tank. Now I realize that with a stock PCM, higher octane is not going to help.

Pass#1: For the first pass, I had a bin of tools and misc junk, plus a small cooler in the trunk. I stomped it off the line thinking it would hook because of all the rubber on the starting line, but it spun about Ĺ way through first gear; here are the results:

60' 2.405
    1/8 ET 9.832
    1/8 mph 74.12
    1000' 12.676
    ET 15.098
    MPH 91.65

I was disappointed, but knew I could do way better. The car felt like it lacked power for some reason.

Pass#2: I decided Iíd go ahead and get everything out of the trunk and hope nobody ripped me off. Rough guess for the stuff I took out 30 lbs or so. I did a better burnout this time. Instead of stomping it I floored it a bit more slowly and was rewarded with much less wheelspin:

60' 2.29
    1/8 ET 9.633
    1/8 mph 75.44
    1000' 12.439
    ET 14.831
    MPH 94.27

What a relief! I came to run a 14 Ė mission accomplished, now I could relax and see if I could do better. The increase in mph was a pleasant surprise although taking out 30 lbs does not explain it.

Pass#3: Removed Passenger headlamp:

60' 2.286
    1/8 ET 9.57
    1/8 mph 76.01
    1000' 12.358
    ET 14.732
    MPH 94.95

Pass#4: Removed jack and spare, hit compressor button to pump up the shocks (and turned it off before the pass):

60' 2.273
    1/8 ET 9.512
    1/8 mph 76.43
    1000' 12.283
    ET 14.643
    MPH 95.54

Yeah! Solidly into the 14.60s

Pass#5: No more changes. I launched it fairly easy, but still got some wheelspin just off the line.

60' 2.301
    1/8 ET 9.485
    1/8 mph 76.48
    1000' 12.253
    ET 14.609
    MPH 94.31

Sweet Ė I picked up on the ET a little more! However something went wrong on the mph for this pass. If you compare it to the previous pass, itís obvious it fell off at the end somehow. I had less than ľ tank at this point, so maybe it was that, the fact that I hot-lapped it, or maybe I just didnít keep my foot in it long enoughÖwho knows.

I expect to run 14.40 next time out, I would like to make it back out sometime this spring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BlackCaddy87 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Cadillac Concours

Re: Bonneville GXP 1/4 mile times

good times. try torco next time, my buddy with a twin turbo ls1 puts one in every fill up. its not his daily driver so he only fills up about every 2 weeks

PA93STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Seville STS

the bonneville gxp has a curb weight of 3,790 lbs. my 93 sts has a curb weight 3,870 lbs. nice times..i'd like to take my sts out sometime and see what trap times would be. i need good performance tires though.. i have excellent all season passenger tireson it right now..which is good cause its winter! did you power brake it to minimize wheelspin?

NorthStarGXP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Bonneville GXP, gutted airbox, 14.64 @ 95.54

I was running the original Goodyear GAs, I have since put on some BFGs that do hook a little better, at least on the street. I was just loading the engine slightly on the brakes (guessing like 1200 rpm but didn't really pay attention), then on green I'd release the brake and give it x amount of throttle. As long as I didn't break the tires loose too bad, the car would take full throttle about 2 car lengths from the starting line. Maybe next time I will try loading it up a bit more and see if that helps.

Not sure if the gutted airbox helped, but the stocker had an internal tube that was 2 5/8" id, so I thought it would help to gut it.

Hogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1998 STS

Your decreasing ET and increasing MPH is what I have seen when drag racing at night. As the sun goes down and atmospheric conditions change, I usually see see between 3-5 tenths difference from a 6:00pm pass, compared to a 10:00pm pass. This is without changes in my setup(low 15/high 14 second truck).

I will have to get the STS to the drags. I would guess low 15's.

Nice runs.

peace
    Hog

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.