Time Serts, Norm's, SureGrip Stud Kit?????? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Time Serts, Norm's, SureGrip Stud Kit?????? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK, it's time to give a report. I bought my cad. Eldorado, drove it about 200 miles, and the dreaded ...
    rzacc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Jake'a SureGrip Stud Kit??????

OK, it's time to give a report. I bought my cad. Eldorado, drove it about 200 miles, and the dreaded event happened! So, I ordered the stud kit from Jake. Now for the results. I got the kit [thank you Jake!] and had the work done locally here in Colorado by Steve Mills Racing, Colo Springs, Colorado. The car is running GREAT! Steve said the studs are hell for stout, and should be a permanent fix. I must admit that I am very cautious of the temp gauge, but I'll settle down soon. Jake, I cant tell you how much I appreciate everything. You were so busy you could not stop, but I got the studs and they were 100%! If you are thnking about having this done, you can count on Jake and his word! Both are gold. I would be tickled to talk with anyone who has any questions for me about this process. This 'AD" is unsolicited and I have not ties with Jake, other than our contact in this matter. My phone is: 719 838 1441, and I am located in Lake George, Colorado. Once again, Jake THANK YOU!
    Ron Zaccagnini

Davidis33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 deville

Re: Time Serts, Norm's, SureGrip Stud Kit??????

I would like to know if the stud kit drill can take out the serts that have been installed in an engine or do the serts have to be removed first and then drill? If they need to be removed first what is the method for getting them out?

97EldoCoupe is offline Owner of Northstar Performance
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Time serts whether the first or second repair, the stud kit will take care of it. You will only need to drill part way into the sert, no problem for the drill bits that come with the kits.

And thank you so much Ron, things are starting to get back to normal around the shop. Starting to. Turns out I may need a bit more machinery for the stud process to speed things up but it's working out so far.

lynbr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 cadillac deville

Hello,
    im trying to buy the Suregrip SG102 Stud kit from northstarperformance.com but i cant seem to get ahold of them, ive called them, attempted to email them and no reply.
    does any one know any other way i can contact them?

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

I'd go with Norm's inserts with ARP studs. I am about to start the same job myself and that is my plan. I tried to order a stud kit from Jake but got no response. Don't know what the story is (and no offense to Jake) but I don't have time for that. Norm is very professional, is on top of things, and he is available by phone or email and replies very promptly.

Use Norm's inserts. They are placed in the proper place in the block. You never want to put the treads up by the deck surface.

Norm has corrected a few small issues with his fixture

The last thing is I very very strongly suggest using the OE bolts -- You have about a 4" thick piece of aluminum or so. If the car starts out at say -20° and warms all the way up to say 230° in 1 heat cycle the head will grow say .25mm to .5mm and with harden steel bolts something has to give.
    Think about it grade 8 bolts trying to strech say .25mm on a 100° C heat cycle. Something will give and I would put money on the block. I would say the threads will break down. The factory bolts strech to keep the proper torque on the head gasket at all times. Another reason for the OE bolts over Studs is that if you had studs and the head grows and the compression ring in the head gasket gets squished even thinner, then what would happen with the engine is cold the next time? I think you would have a leaky head gasket correct?

----------

I have several sets of heads. One set is brand new. I own a heated aquatic parts washer (the spray cabinet type). I could measure the thickness of a head at say our nice warm temp of 70° and then put the head in the parts washer for 20 minutes. Then remeasure it after it has been spinning around for the 20 minutes at 230° if anyone would like me to

So AJ, just to clarify, when you say use OE bolts, where should I get them from?

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

The OEM Headgasket kit comes with the OE head bolts. Chris can get you the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by 00 Deville View Post
    The OEM Headgasket kit comes with the OE head bolts. Chris can get you the kit.
    Thats what I would say to do. I recomend purchasing from a sponsor and Chris is a great guy

Quote Originally Posted by pcmcalibrators View Post
    Thats what I would say to do. I recomend purchasing from a sponsor and Chris is a great guy
    Sounds like a winner. Thanks!

dwillv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

Where do i get these norm certs and studs. I've piad this guy jake 14 weeks ago and nothing i,ve called visa card services to try to get my money.im sick of this car being down taking up space n my garage. I need to finish this car i have alot of other things i need to do northstar is very unreliable. So any body send me some info on these norm certs and arp studs would be greatly appreciated
    lynbr and lynbr like this.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillv View Post
    Where do i get these norm certs and studs. I've piad this guy jake 14 weeks ago and nothing i,ve called visa card services to try to get my money.im sick of this car being down taking up space n my garage. I need to finish this car i have alot of other things i need to do northstar is very unreliable. So any body send me some info on these norm certs and arp studs would be greatly appreciated
    Google it, and no the Northstar isn't unreliable, only thing unreliable is your constant trolling..

Norm isn't a sponsor on this forum, so I don't want to push the issue. His product is NS300L you can search it out

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I have a Norm's kit from a few years ago that I used once - it's all there, except for the inserts, which you can get separately from Norm...and I think elsewhere too. I seem to remember I paid $350 - would let it go for $50 plus shipping, let me know if interested.

PS it worked great - the car is still on the road years later - the stepson drives it now.

Richard Moore

Richard, I'll take it! I'll send you a PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.