1997 Seville STS - Oil Leak Problems?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1997 Seville STS - Oil Leak Problems? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; We're trying to sell our 1997 Seville STS, which we've never had any problems with. We agreed on a price ...
    Laurie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1997 Seville STS - Oil Leak Problems?

We're trying to sell our 1997 Seville STS, which we've never had any problems with. We agreed on a price with a potential buyer, who wanted to take the car to our local Cadillac dealer for inspection. Absolutely no problems with the car, but the dealer told our buyer that "around 80,000 to 85,000 miles, 1997 Seville STS's are prone to oil leaks." We lost our buyer and are extremely upset. I've done internet research to see if this is true, and have found no supporting evidence. What's going on - is the dealer just trying to sell his own cars (or possible a warranty) or is there a real problem with oil leaks? Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

STS
    STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 1997 Seville STS - Oil Leak Problems?

i work for cadillac, and can tell you that these cars will probably leak oil on 3 other ocassions before they get to 85k

northstars... leak oil. period.

but anyway, for someone to say it's gonna happen at a specific time, stupid.

P.S. another technician is sitting here next to me, told me to let ya know we call em "leakstars"

Thanks for your input. I'm curious, though... our buyer was told that it's specifically a "Seville STS problem," and not a Northstar problem. Your reply made it seem as though all new Cadillacs are "leakstars"! Is that the case?

I'm sure the dealer's not going to admit that, so we're just angry that he turned our buyer off our specific car. Thanks again.

STS
    STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

i've had N*s leak oil at as low as 25k miles. 1993-2003 doesn't matter if it's the Y or 9 (8th VIN digit) motor...

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

[QUOTE=Laurie]We're trying to sell our 1997 Seville STS, which we've never had any problems with. We lost our buyer and are extremely upset. QUOTE]

Leaky N*s not always true. Do you have your service records?
    also:
    1. How many miles?
    2. How much are you asking?
    3. Color, interior?
    4. Speed rating? (located on driver door pannel: tire speed rating: S,H, Z )
    5. Where are you located?

cguthrie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have a 99STS that's driven hard, has oil changes only when the computer tells me, does need a quart added about every 900-1000 miles, and it doesn't leak at all.

My sister has a 99STS w/50K, driven even harder by my brother-in-law when ever he gets a chance, and it doesn't leak at all. Also burns about a quart per thousand miles.

Just my personal experience,

Chris

STS 310-
    Thanks for your interest. We do have service records. In response to your other questions:
    1. 76,500 miles
    2. $11,500
    3. Black/Tan Interior
    4. H rating
    5. Lansing, MI
    The car has a power sunroof, premium sound system & 12-CD changer, heated seats, chrome wheels & 3-channel garage door opener.

One interesting note: my husband called the Cadillac dealer and spoke to a service person who couldn't believe our potential buyer was told about possible oil leaks. He said that Northstars DO NOT leak oil; otherwise they wouldn't be so desirable.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It would be very interesting to know who exactly your potential buyer talked to. Doesn't it seem kinda strange that the magic oil leak number is only 4-9K away. I smell a rat. I'll bet they just happened to have a "nice low milage car" on the lot and since it is also a potential oil leaker we have a "great warranty we'll make you a fantastic deal on". If I were your buyer and I believed all that crap I certainly would not buy your car OR the dealers. I'd be hightailing it over to Lexus. Don't worry, his loss is someone elses gain. I'm sure you'll have it sold quickly.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Don't worry, his loss is someone elses gain. I'm sure you'll have it sold quickly.
    True.

rickko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 STS, '06 DTS Performance, '04 Vette

Never heard that N*'s start leaking oil but I'm sure some will.

I do know they use oil more often than most cars, like 1 qt every 800-1200 miles. My '97 is that way.

There is a long thread on people's experience with oil consumption on this forum but haven't heard about leaks.

Mine has 82k on it and no leaks yet. Next week I'm taking a 3k trip so we'll see what develops.

..rickko..

Chrisfor172 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool Re: 1997 Seville STS - Oil Leak Problems?

My 94 sls started leaking oil at 84k. It doesn't leak much. Only when the engine is off and the oil drains into the pan. I added 2 quarts of stop leak and this seems to have lessened the minor leak. It may go a month and I don't add any oil. It's driven locally in the streets mostly. It's now up to 89k, but still runs great and has lots of power. So if there is a leak, it's so minor that I can live with it. The mechanic told me it's a manifold problem near the oil pan.

mastertech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Almost ALL Northstars leak oil eventually, some at extremely low miles. Most of the time the culprit is not the oil pan gasket, but rather the lower crankcase seals. Northstar engines have a two piece block that has thin rounded seals in between the two pieces. Very expensive to fix. Oil pan leaks happen also, and even valve cover gaskets to a lesser degree. If oil pan is soaking wet, stay away from that one, but if it's just slightly damp, with a little road dust stuck to it, don't worry about it.

Armano is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sounds like my '94 STS reflected the description by Mastertech-- unhealthy leak from what I thought was the "oil pan" at about 90K miles -- dealer said the engine had to be pulled for a replacement (as I recall about $7,000+); Engine rebuilder pulled the engine and replaced the seals(?) and stopped the leak but still cost about $2,000.

Now at 120K miles, still have no leaks.

oldgamer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I have STS 94 with 69k miles. Never had a problem with a oil leak (or any leak) or consumption. Last time I changed the oil myself and noticed very small oil leak in the oil filter area. Actually may be just a bit note of oil. I think it's possible that it's just "leftovers" after oil change, cause i did it very mesy at first time. I will check again today, when I got home. If it just couple drops per day, i can live with it.

lhobbs3949 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey guys this is my first post since I found this site yesterday. (Great site BTW)

I have a 94 STS I bought it last year and it had 120,000 miles. I noticed an oil leak sortly after. I took it to Pep Boys they said it was common for the Northstars @ that mileage, they also said that Cadillac is aware of the leak and has never done a recall because the repair costs over 1,800.00. Not believing them I took it to Cadillac. They confirmed almost verbatum what the mechanic told me that it was where the top and bottom of the engine meet and the seal. I have to add 2 quarts of oil once every 3 weeks but it is worth it, I love my STS, now if only I can get the air to work. BTW I have used almost every type of stop leak and it does nothing, any suggestions on something that might work would be appriciated. (I'm tired of cleaning my driveway every week.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.