2004 Deville 275hp... a good buy?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2004 Deville 275hp... a good buy? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hey all; I"m seriously contemplating on buying this car tomorrow. Went to the dealer today and hammered out a deal ...
    RickyHenry is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville; 1999 Seville

2004 Deville 275hp... a good buy?

hey all;

I"m seriously contemplating on buying this car tomorrow. Went to the dealer today and hammered out a deal but didn't sign for it. The car wouldn't start, said dead battery and a jump set wouldn't start the car. He put a Porta-Jump attached to fuse box hot and a negative attachment to the bolt on top of one of the 3 nuts holding the strut assembly. I was like, wtf, even after attaching this jump device that had 14 volts running, I checked the dash and there was only 10.5 volts registering and the car still wouldn't crank. Also, the lights on dash gave way and it appeared the car had no power.

Anyways, has anyone had any issues with this car that I should be aware of prior to buying?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Re: 2004 Deville 275hp... a good buy?

Its going to depend on the price, mileage and what kind of shape the car is in once you can actually drive it. The only upside so far is that HGs are unlikely in an 04. Sounds like it needs a new battery at a minimum.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

I am 100% on 2000+
    I think 2003+ seem to have some issues worked out of them and hold up the best.
    04 & 05 are looking better every day

With that said. Thursday I got a 2003 KD (Deville) for a no start.
    It felt like I was going to catch something touching it. Filthy. 1 flat tire & it had the mini spare on the other rear.
    The Ground cable was broken internally. This is very odd they usually break off at the body side end. This one actually had broken inside the insulation and not completely. The amps were trying to flow through 1/4 the wires. This created a hot spot and melted the insulation. I had never seen this happen to this cable.
    After I removed the cable I cut off the insulation and found just 6 wires left in tacked.

To test for this condition use a set of jumper cables connect both ends to the engine (Do NOT Connect to the PS Pump!) and both of the other ends to the body side. I prefer the bolts for the strut. If the car cranks it has a bad Ground cable from the engine (alternator) to the body (below the fuse box).
    One more thing if the Volts displayed go up when you do this that means the cable is bad.

If the IPC does light up. It could be this cable
    If you can move the shifter without applying the brake pedal it could be the cable.
    A dead battery could be caused by this cable. No way for the alternator to charge the battery.

#1 cause of a broken CABLE: Bad Engine mount

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    I am 100% on 2000+
    I think 2003+ seem to have some issues worked out of them and hold up the best.
    04 & 05 are looking better every day

With that said. Thursday I got a 2003 KD (Deville) for a no start.
    It felt like I was going to catch something touching it. Filthy. 1 flat tire & it had the mini spare on the other rear.
    The Ground cable was broken internally. This is very odd they usually break off at the body side end. This one actually had broken inside the insulation and not completely. The amps were trying to flow through 1/4 the wires. This created a hot spot and melted the insulation. I had never seen this happen to this cable.
    After I removed the cable I cut off the insulation and found just 6 wires left in tacked.

To test for this condition use a set of jumper cables connect both ends to the engine (Do NOT Connect to the PS Pump!) and both of the other ends to the body side. I prefer the bolts for the strut. If the car cranks it has a bad Ground cable from the engine (alternator) to the body (below the fuse box).
    One more thing if the Volts displayed go up when you do this that means the cable is bad.

If the IPC does light up. It could be this cable
    If you can move the shifter without applying the brake pedal it could be the cable.
    A dead battery could be caused by this cable. No way for the alternator to charge the battery.

#1 cause of a broken CABLE: Bad Engine mount
    ok, this makes a lot of sense. I looked at the engine, it is in impeccable condition compared to my seville where I had to do the HG job. Looks like not a single bolt on the engine has ever had a wrench to it. This is a big dealership and they offer 30day warranty and I can buy extended warranty to last 1 year or 25k miles. When I drive it tonight, I will check for a bad motor mount. The company has their service department looking at it right now and are supposed to call me anytime soon. The problem you describe sounds identical to the problems I experienced last night.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbyranger View Post
    Its going to depend on the price, mileage and what kind of shape the car is in once you can actually drive it. The only upside so far is that HGs are unlikely in an 04. Sounds like it needs a new battery at a minimum.
    Car has 70k miles on it, priced at $9k, was priced at $10.5. You saying the HGs are not going to be an issue is certainly a welcome comment after having experienced the do it yourself hg repair on the ill-fated 99 STS.
    However;, this is still a newer car. Any chance that as the 2004 becomes aged as the 98-99 class of northstars did, that they too will experience the dreaded HG job around 100-120k?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If one could predict when and if a piece of mechanical equipment will fail he/she would be immensely wealthy. If the thing runs well and you like it, buy it. Take the extended warranty $$$ and put them in a money market - self insure. You may, or may not, need work......if you do then you have the money. If not, you still have the money, not someone else.

OK, got a call, he said the tech just replaced the battery and everything is fine on the car. What would be the fastest way to check for the problem with the negative connection that you talked about? Where exactly did the wires fry on that car? Was it part of the 3 set of cables that go into the front fuse box?

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by RickyHenry View Post
    OK, got a call, he said the tech just replaced the battery and everything is fine on the car. What would be the fastest way to check for the problem with the negative connection that you talked about? Where exactly did the wires fry on that car? Was it part of the 3 set of cables that go into the front fuse box?
    If the batter fixed it and the DIC reads the correct voltage the ground cable is good.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Good tip AJ- my Eldo's voltage is fluxuating. I figure it's the alternator- when I took it apart during the engine swap/HG job the brush contacts on the armature were badly worn with grooves. I threw it in my old innacurate lathe (glad that thing is gone) and turned it down, put it back together. The copper contacts now have a different concentricity than the armature itself, but has worked for over a year like that.

I'll check the ground on mine as well but I'll be changing the alternator anyway.

Thumbs up Re: 2004 Deville 275hp... a good buy?

well, i bought the car so now i Have the 99 seville and a 2004 deville. i'll be picking the car up today or tomorrow. Now, i have to sell my 99 seville, she will be sorely missed

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Congrats, and my sympathy goes out to you. Welcoming a new garage member and saying goodbye to an old one. Mixed emotions!

Glad to hear you got your hands on the Deville!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.