Questions for Ranger and Submariner409
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Questions for Ranger and Submariner409 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; You two have gave me some good help in the past so we will try again,I have orderd my service ...
    DTECKBAUER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DeVille

Questions for Ranger and Submariner409

You two have gave me some good help in the past so we will try again,I have orderd my service manual for my 2000 deville, im the guy who got a great deel on it, 500.00, had the small coolant leak that I could not find, still have not found it,realy was not planning on driving it this winter but sons car took a dump,so he is driving my truck and wife and i have been driving the caddy, because we live in southern Wi. was afraid the cold weather was going to make the coolant leak worse, well I dont think that its got worse but now I seem to have oil in the surge tank, dont see any evadence of any coolant in oil, so I have been doing lots more reading here, dose this engine have the oil cooler in the head? or do you think mabey the HG problem is getting worse and showing it's self more? and if I am getting oil in coolant,why am i not getting coolant in the oil? Is it because the oil is under more pressure then the cooling system? I think i have alot more questions for you two but will let you start with this. Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Re: Questions for Ranger and Submariner409

Is it engine oil - maybe it is trans fluid/oil?

Prety sure it's oil, black, if it was tranny fluid probley would not have noticed it, almost same color as as dex-cool, plus needed to add three qts. of oil in three thousand miles.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If you're not experiencing coolant loss and overheating, (not sure about your car), but is there an oil cooler in the passenger side of the radiator - in the tank - look for 2 oil lines going into either the front or rear side of the tank - they would come from the front top of the oil filter adapter. IF there's a cooler, these have been known to rupture, but it's not common.

BUT, if it were a ruptured cooler, as soon as you shut down and the oil pressure dropped to 0, then the coolant, still at 18 psi, would flow into the cooler break.

I am loseing a little coolant but seems to only lose it when engine is cold and it's not very much, bought the car from guy next door (he's not the sharpest tool in the shed) his wife drove the car. i put a set of the GM cooling system tabs in and made sure the system was full and as long as its full, it works great!!! not sure how it will be in the summer though, dealer told him he had a cracked cylinder sleave,i would think there would be coolant in the oil if that were the case, I am more worried that there is small hair line cracks in the block next to a coolant passage plus the head gasket problem if there is even a head gasket problem. With oil in the coolant its going to fail the chemical test right?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm with Sub. I would suspect a leak in the oil cooler line in the side tank. Since oil pressure is much higher than cooling system pressure, it would stand to reason that oil would be pushed into the coolant. Maybe the leak is very small and when shut down, the 18 psi in the cooling system is not enough to reverse the flow.

I'm headed up to Eagle River tomorrow. I'll wave as I pass by Stoughton.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

ranger, do you know where Pelacan lake is, we have a cabin their if you go up on hwy 45 you will go right by it! So this means replacing radiator?

Yes it means replacing the radiator.

Pelican lake sounds familiar, but we go up via 51 to 8 and then pick up 45 in Rhinelander.

So what will be the best way to clean the oil out of the system? Flushing with water? water dose not cut oil very well....

I'd just drain what you can and refill it. You may have to do that several times or take it in and have it flush with a coolant exchanger.

Hello everyone, well i think i have figured out a few things,the car has been overheating the last three times i have had it out,coolant was full,when i noticed it was getting hot i turned the heat on to try to disapate the heat,air was warm then went cold,if i would excelerate hard for a second then the heat would come back. when i got home i opened the hood,cooling fans running but the air was cold.... so im thinking that sometimes im not getting any flow,or for some reason the t stat closed,( would it do that?)I just think its odd that it works fine sometimes and other times not.last fall i took the shield off the belt tensioner and looked at the belt and oiled the moving parts, so just wondering what you would check or do first.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Boy guys, doesn't that sound familiar. I have the same problem with my 4.5 and I just finished up another thread where someone replaced a radiator with the same heater symptom. Not the fluid exchange but the heater thing.

I just now ordered a radiator for my 4.5 Seville.

I guess they get clogged in the bottom hindering coolant flow which is why when you rev it up you get heat. I think the others are right on target.

It's very very very unlikely that a N* HG breach will exchange coolant and oil. By design that can almost never happen.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

Have the coolant tested for exhaust gases.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

If hes leaking oil into the coolant, then the exhaust gas test will provide a false positive. All the tester is looking for is hydrocarbons, which is what oil is. It will also provide false positives for quite a long time after the leak (if there is one) is fixed because the entire surface of the water jacket is going to be contaminated with oil.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.