Fuel pump removal pictures
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Fuel pump removal pictures in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK just to let everyone see the great access panel in a 99 STS and the ease of service for ...
    planocolt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 sts

Fuel pump removal pictures

OK just to let everyone see the great access panel in a 99 STS and the ease of service for a fuel sender unit.

Nice access in the trunk:

Herer is a picture of the lock ring: No threads!!

Here you can see the ring about half relocked (see the slots )

Old dirty Fuel sending unit:

Problems with your fuel gauge, here is the problem, see the deposits and the corroded contacts:

Note: no "Melted wires..." hmmmmmmm

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Re: Fuel pump removal pictures

Did you use a lock ring tool or just pound it? I've been trying to psych myself up for this job for two years, but I suffer from fuel-a-phobia. Already bookmarked this thread. Thanks for the pix.

planocolt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 sts

Quote Originally Posted by chubbyranger View Post
    Did you use a lock ring tool or just pound it? I've been trying to psych myself up for this job for two years, but I suffer from fuel-a-phobia. Already bookmarked this thread. Thanks for the pix.

Sooo easy, pb Blaster, Sit for 1 hour, BIG hammer and basically a huge Flathead screwdriver. It took some pounding AND all fuel lines were still connected. Once it pops, it's off. The bigger hammer theory worked here.

Total replacement time (aside from the PB blaster wait time) ~1 hour (including removing the inner trunk liner).

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Is that similar to a BF Hammer?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by chubbyranger View Post
    Don't worry about it Chubby. You're not very likely to create any sparks and even if you did, the tank is still sealed until the retaining ring is off and the pump is pulled. When I did one many years ago on a Chevy Blazer I had to pump down about a half tank of gas. Had buckets of gas all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Don't worry about it Chubby. You're not very likely to create any sparks and even if you did, the tank is still sealed until the retaining ring is off and the pump is pulled. When I did one many years ago on a Chevy Blazer I had to pump down about a half tank of gas. Had buckets of gas all over the place.
    I figured I'd run the tank down to ~3 gallons or so left before I start. Part of my hesitance is that my car has lived its whole life in the salt-laden Northeast so I expect the corrosion factor to be substantial I suppose pulling the cover off and having a look would be a good first step. I always worry about resealing the fuel line connections so they don't leak, although these look to be fairly simple to disconnect. And since my garage isn't heated its going to be a chilly job, unless I get out my propane bullet heater Probably not the best idea

Technically, you are better off with a full tank. An empty tank is full of fumes and much more explosive than a full tank.

When I did one many years ago on a Chevy Blazer I had to pump down about a half tank of gas. Had buckets of gas all over the place.
    Technically, you are better off with a full tank. An empty tank is full of fumes and much more explosive than a full tank.
    Why would you pump the tank down if you should start with a full tank?

Because I did not have an access panel and had to drop the tank. I needed to lighten it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.