Convert OBDII Northstar to OBDI ???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Convert OBDII Northstar to OBDI ??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 97 Northstar engine with the throttle body and sensors for the OBDII setup. I also have a ...
    tobygaff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Convert OBDII Northstar to OBDI ???

I have a 97 Northstar engine with the throttle body and sensors for the OBDII setup. I also have a custom computer and wiring harness for an OBDI Northstar. I need to convert this 97 motor back to OBD I. I know the throttle body is different, is this a direct swap or do I need an adapter to make the old throttle body work? Is there anything else that needs swapped?

If anyone has the OBD I parts that would like to trade for the OBD II parts, let me know.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: Convert OBDII Northstar to OBDI ???

totally
    different
    engine

Ok, maybe I am not asking the right thing.... I have a 97 engine, and I need to convert it to a 95 style engine. Is that OBD II to OBD I? I thought that 97 is when the OBD II stuff started, but I could be wrong.

According to the people that made the harness, it will work if I put the old style throttle body on it. I hope they are correct. Otherwise I wasted a lot of money on this engine.

Where do I look to identify exactly which engine that I have so that we know what we are referring to? Everybody refers to the 9 or the Y engine, but I don't see any numbers that seem to point to identification like that.

i fully understand you
    and my statement still stands
    sell it and buy a 93-95 n*
    the intake
    sensors
    are completely different of this i am sure
    then i am also pretty sure the heads are different as well

y and 9 refer to the 8th digit of the car of origins vin
    y is the L89 275 HP N*
    9 is the L37 300 HP N*

You are not making my day. I don't have the original cars VIN. Is it on the engine anywhere?

i know theres a stamp on it somewhere
    and you can use that info to determine what it is
    but as far as a simple Y or 9 nope sorry

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

There's a VIN derivative (part of the original vehicle VIN) stamped on a pad on the right front side of the block just below the front side of the cylinder head. Not far from where the VSS bolts to the transaxle......

Yep, found it. Looks like the last digit is a 9, I also see on the other side that the casting marks on the block show a 96, so it may actually be a 96 motor. Are they really that different from a 95 motor?

95 (obd1) will work on a 96+ if you swap the intake
    a 92*(late Allante)-94 is not interchangeable with any other years...
    i guess there SOME way to make a 96 work with a 95 obd set up so long as you get the 95 year only intake
    but no way to convert it to a 92-94 set up
    again all this work
    your much better looking for a N* already set up for obd1

I am going to play around with it. If the throttle body is the only thing that is different, I know that I can machine an adapter plate to let the old throttle body work on the new intake. Shouldn't be too hard.

tb isnt the difference
    its the whole intake

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by tobygaff View Post
    Ok, maybe I am not asking the right thing.... I have a 97 engine, and I need to convert it to a 95 style engine. Is that OBD II to OBD I? I thought that 97 is when the OBD II stuff started, but I could be wrong.

According to the people that made the harness, it will work if I put the old style throttle body on it. I hope they are correct. Otherwise I wasted a lot of money on this engine.

Where do I look to identify exactly which engine that I have so that we know what we are referring to? Everybody refers to the 9 or the Y engine, but I don't see any numbers that seem to point to identification like that.
    What kind of PCM is this?

It is one of the Howell Engineering standalone PCMs for the 92-95 Northstar. Unfortunately I bought a 96 Northstar because I thought I could make it work. They said that the only difference is the throttle body.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by tobygaff View Post
    It is one of the Howell Engineering standalone PCMs for the 92-95 Northstar. Unfortunately I bought a 96 Northstar because I thought I could make it work. They said that the only difference is the throttle body.
    That PCM has NO trans support. I know the HISTORY on YOUR PCM. I know who purchased it new and all the history. I thought it might surface again.

JaxxMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Concours

The only aftermarket Trans controller I have been able to find is made by PCS powertraincontrolsolutions $750+ just in case your looking. If you found another brand please let me know, I've been shopping around.

From the parts I've aquired over the years the 93-95 intake has only a 4 bolt setup with about 1 inch spacers to the mostly aluminum intake and the newer heads I have (casting year 1998) have a 10 bolt pattern. I tried to line up the spacers with the 4 bolt pattern and they are close, the spacers have a locating dowels on each end where a threaded holes are now on the 98 heads so you would have to mill/drill it out.

Please note I never test fitted the 98 heads on my 94 block yet. I'm not sure of the head to head distance gap for the intake. If you have access to a milling machine you might make it might work. I've make some assumptions that you are going to track down an older intake, have a background in machining and your custom harness will connect to the intake you aquire.

Hope this was helpful. J

P.S. If you are thinking about going another route and selling the PCM please PM me, I have a friend looking for a unit like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.