N*, Gas drowning my cylinder, getting smoke
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, N*, Gas drowning my cylinder, getting smoke in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just got my car with 121K and I am new to the forum. I recently read a post by ...
    jlooper is offline Cadillac Owners Member

N*, Gas drowning my cylinder, getting smoke

I just got my car with 121K and I am new to the forum. I recently read a post by bobb that said:

"White smoke can be steam from coolant intrusion...but...more commonly white smoke from the exhaust is a sign of a leaking injector or leaking fuel pressure regulator. Conventional wisdom is that too much fuel makes black smoke....but that only applies if the A/F ratio is very rich but still burnable. When an injector sticks open it usually drowns out that cylinder and the result of all that raw fuel in the exhaust is white smoke."

I need help. I think my #6 cylinder is leaking on my 95 Eldo. I have so much smoke it looks like a James Bond car with a smoke screen. I thought it was a head gasket initially, but the exhaust smells like gas. Now I pulled the plugs, checked the compression on the front 4 (because it was convenient) and found gas in #6. After I let the car sit for a while, I turned the engine over and gas spit out of the plug hole. (alot!!) If my fuel injector is sticking how do I go about fixing that? Can I get the parts at a normal parts store? Anything I should do at the same time? I am planning on changing the plugs at this time. I am pretty comfortable working on cars but i don't know anything about the N* engine and the setup.
    Thanks in advance since i see that you guys have helped everyone that asks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: N*, Gas drowning my cylinder, getting smoke

You will need to remove the fuel rail and replace the leaky injector. I have heard that it is best to use OEM injectors and especially plugs and wires. After the injectors are not leaking check the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) on the fuel rail. Pull the vacuum hose while the system is pressurized and be sure no fuel is leaking from the nipple. If there is, replace the FPR. A "Factory" service manual from Helm Inc. is invaluable. Do not waste your money on Haynes or Chilton (they are too stiff to use as toilet paper).

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Definitely sounds like an injector stuck open. Replace it with a new OEM injector. Simple to do. Just unclip the fuel rail hold-downs, lift up the rail, disconnect the injector and replace it. Reinstall the injectors into their respective bores and press the rail down to clip it in place. Use vasoline or engine oil to lube the injector bores to ease the installation of the injectors into the manifold.

I would check the other four cylinders also to make sure you only have one injector failed.

When the injector(s) are replaced and the engine is running fine then idle the engine and pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator while the engine is idling. Watch the vacuum nipple on the FPR for any sign of gas leakage. There should be none. If there is , replace the FPR.

Be sure and replace the injector before replacing the spark plugs as if the injectors are dumping too much fuel into a cylinder it will ruin the (new) plugs and they will have to be replaced again.

jlooper is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you you guys!
    I am getting ready to go to the dealer right now and get the injector. Wish me luck! I appreciate your input.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.