Steam from Tail Pipe?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Steam from Tail Pipe? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm loosing a considerable amount of coolant, and its not mixing with the oil? This is on a 96 Cad ...
    96CD is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Steam from Tail Pipe?

I'm loosing a considerable amount of coolant, and its not mixing with the oil? This is on a 96 Cad Deville. It seems to all be going into the manifold then out through the exhaust? If it's the head gasket, can it be replaced with the engine left in the car? I have read enough to know that any work done in that area will require a timesert, everyone seems to think its straight forward.
    Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Steam from Tail Pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by 96CD
    I'm loosing a considerable amount of coolant, and its not mixing with the oil? This is on a 96 Cad Deville. It seems to all be going into the manifold then out through the exhaust? If it's the head gasket, can it be replaced with the engine left in the car? I have read enough to know that any work done in that area will require a timesert, everyone seems to think its straight forward.
    Thanks!!!
    Are you the one that emailed me? If not, the northstar doesn't seem to mox the water/oil except in really,really bad cases... 99% just burn the coolant and/or overheat. The gasket can be replaced with the engine in the car, but the engine bay is very cramped, and those that have done it this way don't recommend it. Timeserts are what you need, and the headgasket kit w/bolts from the dealer.

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

If it is the head gasket, and it sounds like it may be, it not a simple repair job on these Northstar engines for many reasons.

In the past if I had to replace a head gasket on one of my 426 or 440 Mopar engines, I would figure about 3-4 hours from start to finish; one of my hemi’s might take an hour longer.

With the Northstar you have a great engine packed in a very tight engine compartment, this makes it very difficult to access all of the bolts needed to remove the head.

To remove the head the timing chains must be removed. This means having to remove the front engine cover and working through the wheel well to remove and reset the timing chains.

If you have one head gasket fail, the other is likely not far behind, so normally you will repair both sides.

Timserting is a very tedious process, tiresome enough working with the engine on a stand much less attempting it hanging over fenders.

There are many more cons to trying this repair in the car.

On the bright side normally the gasket is the only problem. No cracked heads, warped heads, or need to get into the crankshaft bearings, etc.

Shop around for a price, make sure they no how to do this repair on a Northstar engine. Expect to pay $1800 - $4400 for this repair, it is mostly labor.

-George

Hello George,

What's the ball park figure if I were to do all the work myself, 1K seems steep!

Thanks!

I am sending you a Excel spreadsheer converted to an .html. It has the parts list and tools necessary to do the job listed.

You're right it is expensive to do this repair. I have done it to both of my STS's. I pull the engine from the top to do it.

If you feel comfortable doing complete engine repairs and have good mechanical skills you can do this. but it will take a lot of time and space to put everything while you are working on it.

I'm not trying to spook you, but this is not a simple repair job.

-George

You have set your profile to not receive e-mail. I can not send you the information unless you change it.

Below is a reply containing a similar parts/price list, look for my reply.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=12328

-George

Thanks for the info George!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.