Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BeelzeBob 
#1 ·
hi guys . does any one know where i can get the tool to remove the waterpump on a 98 sts , i went to gm and those ass hoes were no help

#4 ·
Here in the Chicago 'burbs area, both AutoZone and Pep Boys have the water pump removal/installation tool available to borrow. They both charge a small deposit ($15-$25) but you get it all back when you return it in good condition. I had to do this about 6 months ago when the water pump seal/bearing was leaking on my 96 SLS. You only need the tool for a total of about 10 minutes, so it seems silly to buy one if you'll only use it once. Check with your local auto parts stores. It may save you a lot of headaches.

If you need information about exactly how to change out the water pump, search the forums and I know the process has been described here before. My advice is just to make sure all the sealing surfaces are clean and smooth on everything, install new seals if you can, and make sure the O-ring seal behind the water pump comes out when you remove it. The new pump will most likely have a new O-ring with it. Torque the water pump cover bolts carefully. While you have the water pump area apart, consider replacing the thermostat at the same time. Get an OEM thermostat if you can. The aftermarket versions look a little different and to me it seemed like the spring wasn't as strong as the OEM version, which made me wonder if the thing would open too early. I can't remember what brand thermostat that was, unfortunately. Make sure to use a 50/50 mix of DexCool and distilled water and the two tubes of Bar's Leaks Golden Seal stop leak in the lower hose. Check out the water pump drive belt and replace it if it's questionable. Some people have recommended light lubrication of the tensioner spring to ensure it moves freely, but I'm not sure what lubricant would be best for that application. Be careful with the bolts/studs for the belt cover. They aren't very big and will snap off easily if overtorqued. (speaking from experience there...)

Good luck! Let us know how it works out for you or if you have any further questions.

Cheers! :cheers:
Michael Cowden

#5 ·
And remember that the water pump spins on/off in the opposite direction!

Clockwise to remove, counter-clockwise to install.

It takes a LOT of force (use at least a 2 feet breaker extension) and it only has to rotate about an inch to engage/disengage the locking tabs.

#7 ·
Re: water pump tool V. water pump replacement at dealer

Gary00SLS said:
Just had my water pump replaced by the dealer. $287 including a coolant flush and replacement (w/ tabs of course). I was pleasantly suprised that it wasn't a $500 job.

2000 SLS, 108,500 miles.
Sounds like a very fair price for the job. Since everyone posts the name of the scruffy dealers.....why not post your dealer's name that did the job properly for a fair price...??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.