02 SLS not liking the cold weather
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 02 SLS not liking the cold weather in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK so lately my 02 SLS has been acting weird when it's really cold out. Like today it was 29 ...
    90devilleguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS & 1962 Coupe Deville

02 SLS not liking the cold weather

OK so lately my 02 SLS has been acting weird when it's really cold out. Like today it was 29 F and when i start my car it starts up fine but i notice that the AIR pump does not come on at all and the car will actually sit and idle around 1000 rpms always, instead of 1200-1300 like it normally would and then idle down to like 750-800 rpms.

Is that normal?

Also when it's cold like this the transmission shifts into reverse or drive really hard. Like slamming into gear sometimes....only on the first start up.

any advice????

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 02 SLS not liking the cold weather

A.I.R. supplies extra oxygen in the exhaust which is used to light off the cat quickly under different conditions, so maybe the before and after cat O2 sensors are saying "well, we don't need extra oxygen right now". Probably nothing to worry about. (If the fuel/air ratios going to/from the engine are very close to perfect for the current operating conditions, A.I.R. is not needed). The 1,000 rpm fast idle for the first 30 -40 seconds is probably OK also. As long as it drops down to the 700 - 800 then later down to 650. Where are you engaging D the first time? At 1,000 rpm? If so, with cold fluid you'll get an aggressive first/R engagement. Wait 'till it drops to the 700 - 800 point.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

My car has the same rough engagement on cold mornings. I asked my boss at the Cadillac dealership and he said it's perfectly normal and there isn't anything to worry about.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think what you are seeing is normal. I've recently noticed below 30 deg. starts that my idle is at about 1000 rather than the usual 1300 as well.

As for the hard shift into reverse, I experienced that the other day for the first time. Just kind of shrugged it off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.