What does a missfire feel like?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, What does a missfire feel like? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I been noticing more and more a rougher idle and at times the RPMS drop to 500 and it almost ...
    mythy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado 98

Red face What does a missfire feel like?

I been noticing more and more a rougher idle and at times the RPMS drop to 500 and it almost stalls. at 750 RPMS the car idles very rough and vibrations can be felt threw the car as if some things hitting a rough spot (if that makes any sense) I used a impact wrench to pull the front 4 plugs and I discovered that 2 of the plugs were missing there platinum electrode tips (not on the electrode its self but on the metal that floats above it) There gap was .060 due to the missing metal. I re gaped the 2 plugs to .050 and cleaned the oil and white flaking gunk off the plugs and started her up and the staling/vibrations are still the same...

I'm not sure if this is related to the plugs or the wires or maybe some thing else? How can I determine if its a mis?

P.S. I know I been asking allot of questions I just feel some things very wrong here with the idle and I already cleaned the THB replaced the PVC gromits, check and repaired air leaks and replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF. At this point I'm running out of ideas

Edit: The plugs them self don't look that bad

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Re: What does a missfire feel like?

I'd check for codes first and then you could go from there. I believe the code for misfire is PCM P0300.

are all misfires recorded? Or only when there abundant?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

A random miss has the uneasy feeling of the car slightly "jerking", your gas pedal foot may feel a slight single tap here and there, the car may tell you, by a slight uneven sound from the engine.

That spark plug is shot. Regapping will do nothing. Impact wrench ???? NOT!!! That's an aluminum cylinder head. One screwup and it's toast. You are in the market for new plugs and wires.

Go to www.rockauto.com and pick up a set of plug wires and plugs (ACDelco #41-950, Professional Platinum, gap preset to .050"). No other cutesy plugs......OEM only.

Torque, without antiseize compound, to 13 ft/lb. COLD.

Be VERY sure the plug wires are connected as shown. Click and scroll in.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I know at one point my car was vibrating and idling badly, and the Service Engine Soon light was flashing on the display. I don't know if yours does that, but when I check for codes the PCM was stored as Current. I know the book says the plugs and wires can go to 100k, but I'd get them replaced. After all, the car is 10 years old.

Ok thanks for your help guys its greatly appreciate! I got 2 codes 1 is a current issue I been having that I doubt any one here can fix

B2477 - Reverse Lamp Relay Shorted to Ground ( every time I replace the fuse and reverse it blows and I cant find the short so I am giving up )

B1771 - Cassette tape slow (major issues here )

Thats all I got so I'm going to assume its not a miss just a very rough and shaky idle. I'll do the plugs when I can scrounge up $56 dollars (Fing expensive!) The wires will have to wait I'm far to broke I been helping a friend with her newborn and let me tell you diapers arnt cheap!!!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by mythy View Post
    are all misfires recorded? Or only when there abundant?
    A light miss will not set a code.

so I could very well be having missfires.. Well time will tell I update this thread in a few days wit the results and if the idle issues remain maybe you guys can figure it out

Do I have a oil leak?

Ok I pulled the plugs and installed new ones. Now onto my findings

7 out of 8 plugs were worn out but pretty clean. One however has a massive White chunk of something on it! The electrode is burnt black and the isolator is covered in white/grey debre and the gap around the electrode and the prong is filled in with this gunk!

Deposits
    The accumulation of deposits on the firing end is influenced by oil leakage, fuel quality and the engine's operating duration

Since only 1 of my plugs have these "Deposites" is it safe to asume I have a oil leak? Would that be a head issue?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Sounds more like oil than coolant, but hard to tell without seeing it.

That's not oil deposits and also doesn't look like coolant either. Those plugs (first and most recent posts) look like they're way past their prime. How many miles on them ??

Save up for the new wires and don't worry about the plugs or leaks. The plug with the piece of ? in the gap is fouled from a persistent miss. It's an ACDelco 41-950 plug so I wonder how old it (they) are.

The color on those plugs is typical of unleaded gas.

Sorry that I keep editing this......lay all 8 plugs out on a dark surface and upload a digital shot of them.

will do! The cars a 98 manufactured late 97 and has 60570 miles on it. Not many for a plug rated for 100,000K She started up right away and the idle is much more consistent and smother also the rough spot is almost completely gone now! Theres still a bit of a power surge from time to time while idling but its no where near as bad as it used to be. The Wires them self have some worn areas (still not threw the rubber jacket tho) and developed a white powder on the coatings. If I didn't know any better I'd say it was from a consistent arc from one wire to another but that cant be if the coatings intact so maybe its just baby powder

Best way to check wires is to remove the "beauty cover" if any and take a hard look at the wiring with the engine running in the dark. Arcs and sparks ?? New wires, ACDelco, check Lindsay Cadillac ------> or RockAuto.

You just did the plugs.........are you happy with the wires as-is ??? (Be very sure you save post #4...the diagrams are critical.)

well that depends if I still have a slight miss in that cylinder. I had no idea it was that bad to begin with so theres a chance the cause of the miss is still here and that would rob me of performance and more importantly gas mileage so as it stands right now I wont be happy till I figure out what caused the miss. I'll take a water bottle and mist the wires in the dark and get back to this thread tomorrow... Its pouring out and it was bad enough doing the plugs in a thunderstorm

If you replace the plugs (done) and wires and have a smooth-running engine, you will never know what gremlin caused the miss/fouled plug in the first place. For all any of us know, the plug has a piece of burned gasket sealer in the gap. Stranger things have happened. Ever seen what a 7/16" nut in a cylinder will do to the top of a piston and cylinder head ?? Don't sweat the small stuff.

Drive the car and enjoy it for what it is: A large, heavy, moderately fast Cadillac sport coupe. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.