WOT vs HG preservation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, WOT vs HG preservation in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm a new owner of a 94 DeVille Concours. with 110k. I bought it from an elderly gentleman and it's ...
    bluegrasssboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 DeVille Concours

WOT vs HG preservation

I'm a new owner of a 94 DeVille Concours. with 110k. I bought it from an elderly gentleman and it's a very clean car inside and out. From the carfax it shows it's had two alternators replaced, the tranny "overhauled" and the gentleman told me in the 10 years he's had it(since 30k) he's also had an AC compressor put on it and a new radiator last year.

I had read up on the N* and was a little reluctant to buy one. I was originally looking for a used Buick with the 3.8 as they are as reliable as the sunrise. However, this car was just so clean and the price was right, so I went with it.

I've read here about actually running the N* at WOT at regular intervals, but with a 15 year old car with a motor that's pre disposed it seems to HG failures, is it really something I should be doing? There's a thread right now on here about one leaking coolant only under a load. It seems to me I'd be tempting fate or asking for trouble to run it hard a lot.

A HG repair would cost more than I paid for the car, and I couldn't afford it anyway.

Just like to get the thoughts of you folks who know a lot more about the N* than I do.

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: WOT vs HG preservation

Hard shot to call. The earlier Northstars aren't the worst in the HG department: it's the late 90's group. ALL the engines however, were intended to be a high performance powerplant, so there's nothing inherently wrong about asking the engine to do its job. There's a great difference between running an engine hard and abusing it and occasional, or as necessary, WOT is not defined as abuse per se. WOT of a sedan engine for hours at a time on the Bonneville Salt Flats is abuse, though.

Engines which have led a sedentary life generally don't react well to sudden changes in driving techniques, so you're in the driver's seat on this one........

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If the head gaskets fail, it won't be from an occasional WOT. It was designed to be run hard. When it was being tested, it was run at WOT for 300 hours (12.5 days). Personally, I would not worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Hard shot to call. The earlier Northstars aren't the worst in the HG department: it's the late 90's group...

Engines which have led a sedentary life generally don't react well to sudden changes in driving techniques, so you're in the driver's seat on this one........

What is it about the late 90s N*s that is different?

I'm not real hard on my cars anymore. I quit that stuff years ago. But if running WOT every so often could actually be beneficial, then I'm all for it.

Right now the plan is to keep the car until our first child can sit in a front facing car seat. Then I'll probably buy something newer. My wife doesn't drive far to work, but part of me just would rather have her and the baby in something newer than 15 years old.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

The best thing you can do is change the coolant. Just drain and refill, possibly do it a second time to get most of the coolant replaced.

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasssboy View Post
    What is it about the late 90s N*s that is different?
    They changed the type of coolant from the good old green stuff to the more environmentally friendly orange Dex-Cool stuff.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Personally, I would baby it. Combustion chamber pressure is always at it's peak at WOT (maybe at the peak torque level - not sure about this), so I think you are correct to be wary. Sure, these engines were made to be able to run hard, but with a 15 year old HG problem prone engine with 110K on it, I would take it easy, or just be prepared to do the repair.

Sub & Tateos make good points that are hard to argue with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Sub & Tateos make good points that are hard to argue with.
    That's about what I figured. There was a 94 Concours on craigslist the other day with blown head gaskets for $300 If it wasn't almost Christmas and we weren't expecting a baby, I would have at least went and looked at it and probably bought just for the sake of buying it. I don't need it at all and neither the interior or exterior match mine.

One thing about my car I've noticed is how little effort it takes to shut the doors and what little sound they make when they do shut. I'm used to big ol GM car doors that you have to slam shut.

The doors are a matter of adjustment. I don't like slamming doors and always adjust them to close easily. They DO sound solid though. A buddy of mine bought a '78 a while back and I had forgotten how tiny they sounded.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I feel the same way as Ranger. The WOT treatment is not the cause of HG failure.

I'm not saying take it out first day and beat it to death but driving it like it was meant to be driven is not a problem.

Change the coolant and oil and have fun with the car.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

brmurph is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Concours

My head gaskets went on my 98 Concours right after I did my WOT procedure as described on this board. I am sure they would have gone anyway at some point but I am convinced the WOT pushed it over the edge. Now in my case this was a good thing as it happened with 99300 miles on the vehicle and my warranty was good to 100,000 miles :-) BTW aftermarket warranty and they coved it...

Good luck.

It was probably already breached and you didn't know it.

Aftermarket warranty's can be a great thing. I was going to get a warranty on my DTS when I bought it but the highest level which covered everything top to bottom was $3200. That's a lot of cash.

So in the end I decided to gamble and take a chance on a car with only 24k on it.

Now I wish to hell I paid the $3200. My transmission alone was $3200 +. Beyond that I could be having all the other stuff done as well like oil pan gasket or halfcase seal. Water crossover gaskets and so on.

I will never pass up the warranty again.
    Ownership:
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom PCM
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams

Memberships:

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by brmurph View Post
    My head gaskets went on my 98 Concours right after I did my WOT procedure as described on this board. I am sure they would have gone anyway at some point but I am convinced the WOT pushed it over the edge. Now in my case this was a good thing as it happened with 99300 miles on the vehicle and my warranty was good to 100,000 miles :-) BTW aftermarket warranty and they coved it...

Good luck.
    WOT was the finisher for my '98. Wife complained the car would run hot while driving around. Finally I decided to give the car a test and took it on the highway WOT and she immediately overheated and I had to shut it off. Of course it wasn't WOT that made the car blow the HG but it definately worsened the problem to the point the car could no longer be driven.

If there is an existing problem then a) it doesn't' matter and b) obviously running the car with an already bad HG is going to make it worse.

WOT with an intact engine will do no harm.
    Ownership:
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom PCM
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams

Memberships:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.