do you have to pull motor to do head gaskets, can it be done in the car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, do you have to pull motor to do head gaskets, can it be done in the car in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; is it possible at all to do the head gaskets on a northstar in the car still, i know there ...
    twojcjake is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac eldorado ETC, 1991 Cadillac Eldorado

do you have to pull motor to do head gaskets, can it be done in the car

is it possible at all to do the head gaskets on a northstar in the car still, i know there is little room but is it possible and beside doing the time serts is there anything that the motor has to be out to do,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: do you have to pull motor to do head gaskets, can it be done in the car

It has been done in the car...absolutely the hardest way to do it. Look at the lack of room by the harmonic balancer. You have to get that off, do the chains, and get it back on. The exhaust in the rear? Look easy???

Drop the cradle...it's the easiest way.

There are plenty of threads about doing HG's.

You were asking about this a couple of months ago. If you try to do it in the car it is VERY hard. If you pull the engine out the top it is very hard. If you drop the cradle it's still hard.

Dropping the cradle is still the easiest way. It looks scary but it makes things easy to get to. If you never did any major mechanical work I'd think twice about doing it. It is a long tedious job...not overly difficult, just a lot of work. Do you have perseverance?

twojcjake is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac eldorado ETC, 1991 Cadillac Eldorado

yes i was asking about this a couple months ago, i ask again because my starter went out and i replaced it, i was asking again because i had the intake off and want to do the heads but i didnt and put intake back together and is fine but i am thinking of just lowering the cradle now i see some real good pics of wat it should look like doing it with out a lift

thank you everyone

Most guys disco everything but the cradle bolts, lower the cradle on blocks or jacks, pull the cradle bolts, then raise the body with an engine hoist. It is not as hard as it seems. Then everything is pretty easy to get to.

The only drawback is you have to disconnect the AC lines. The brake lines stay together.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.