Thinking about a K&N cold air intake...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Thinking about a K&N cold air intake... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ive never put one on my cars, Thinking about doing it to my 2000 STS... What are your guy's thoughts ...
    BSchorr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS, 20" Cruisers,NittoXtreme 255's,Super 44's

Thinking about a K&N cold air intake...

Ive never put one on my cars, Thinking about doing it to my 2000 STS... What are your guy's thoughts on them?

K&N cold air intake

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

or a BOMZ cold air intake...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170271821538

or a AFM cold air intake...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

My car...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

msta293412 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac sts

Re: Thinking about a K&N cold air intake...

Those just suck up hot engine compartment heat. I will show you my set up, its basically the same type of tubing with an elbo into the factory air box, with the bottom gutted out, sucking in cool air from under the engine blowing in from the front grill.....

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Many, many, many threads and posts in here and in Seville over the years concerning so-called Cold Air Intakes. Generally, they aren't and do nothing except sometimes insert a low-rpm stumble or midrange power loss. The increase in engine/air noise is perceived as a power gain, which is false.

Several of us have followed MSTA's idea and simply gone into the stock airbox and filter system (larger than a 279 c.i. engine needs, BTW), removed the U-tube which already goes outside the engine compartment, so the system is CAI to start with, and run a slightly larger duct down to just behind the lower grille.

Sure, the K&N looks trick and gives you some bragging rights, but it's really only eye-candy and can cause some real engine problems if you get carried away with the necessary cleaning and oiling (a little is good, so a lot must be better: NOT !)

Do some searching for Seville CAI threads and the butt plug. Use a WIX air filter (oil filter, too) because it has much more media surface area than the ACDelco or Fram units. Ask to see each one at an auto parts store......the difference is obvious.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

kevinscaddy01STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4, 2001 STS, 97 STS, 92 SLS 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Many, many, many threads and posts in here and in Seville over the years concerning so-called Cold Air Intakes. Generally, they aren't and do nothing except sometimes insert a low-rpm stumble or midrange power loss. The increase in engine/air noise is perceived as a power gain, which is false.

Several of us have followed MSTA's idea and simply gone into the stock airbox and filter system (larger than a 279 c.i. engine needs, BTW), removed the U-tube which already goes outside the engine compartment, so the system is CAI to start with, and run a slightly larger duct down to just behind the lower grille.

Sure, the K&N looks trick and gives you some bragging rights, but it's really only eye-candy and can cause some real engine problems if you get carried away with the necessary cleaning and oiling (a little is good, so a lot must be better: NOT !)

Do some searching for Seville CAI threads and the butt plug. Use a WIX air filter (oil filter, too) because it has much more media surface area than the ACDelco or Fram units. Ask to see each one at an auto parts store......the difference is obvious.
    YES!! will def slow it down...

Car looks sweet though..

Yes , on that note, your headlights are so damned clear! And on a 2000, I have a 2001, and theyr fogged up beyond recognition....Ive tried all the treatments ranging from, platic polish, to chemicals, etc, My lenses have millions of miniscule little cracks it them, I really need to just replace them but...$$$$$......Anyways, I digresse....

BSchorr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS, 20" Cruisers,NittoXtreme 255's,Super 44's

Ha! Thats actually a new headlight there... The previous owner's grandson broke th headlight when he crashed into it with his bik handlbars. The other side dont look so pretty. But I will be buying this 3 stage headlight cleaning kit for it soon

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

The car already draws cold air so what's the point? Not to mention that the K&N filter elements are probably one of the worst at actually filtering.

Save the money and buy yourself a new pair of shoes, or a tricked out name tag.

You WILL gain from the air box gut. Not because its not drawing cool air now, codewise is correct, but because with the air box gut, it will draw more air easier, thus giving you a bit of performance......especially when combined with some free flowing mufflers and and a slightly larger Y pipe.....BUT THAT IS IT, take my word for it, its easy to get carried away and go backwards.....

stngh8r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS, 1991 Chevy RC w/500 CAD

Dyno Results posted on Caddyinfo.com showed a +7whp and +4wtq peak and also notable power under the curve with a K&N drop in filter in a 4.0 baby*

Dyno Results showed +1-2whp and tq peak with a "modified" air box. But even better, the modified air box showed more improvement under the curve.

My interpretation: with a K&N drop in and modified air box you can expect roughly +10 hp.

The results that I reference are at this URL, unfortunately, the link has not been working for a couple of weeks. http://caddyinfo.onedgesolutions.com...airboxtest.htm

2 things here. What you're talking about it called air reserve. That only helps when you first mash the throttle. Nothing more. It will not increase HP.

The second problem with this statement is you can't get a larger Y pipe. Unless you know something about physics that the rest of us don't

Quote Originally Posted by msta293412 View Post
    You WILL gain from the air box gut. Not because its not drawing cool air now, codewise is correct, but because with the air box gut, it will draw more air easier, thus giving you a bit of performance......especially when combined with some free flowing mufflers and and a slightly larger Y pipe.....BUT THAT IS IT, take my word for it, its easy to get carried away and go backwards.....

I don't believe one word of this. You'll have to show us because we have substantial results showing otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by stngh8r View Post
    Dyno Results posted on Caddyinfo.com showed a +7whp and +4wtq peak and also notable power under the curve with a K&N drop in filter in a 4.0 baby*

Dyno Results showed +1-2whp and tq peak with a "modified" air box. But even better, the modified air box showed more improvement under the curve.

My interpretation: with a K&N drop in and modified air box you can expect roughly +10 hp.

The results that I reference are at this URL, unfortunately, the link has not been working for a couple of weeks. http://caddyinfo.onedgesolutions.com...airboxtest.htm

Talking Re: Thinking about a K&N cold air intake...

It has been on the caddyinfo website for years, only lately has that particular link not been working.

On the same website there are also dyno results showing negative HP gains with a cone filter setup.

The factory intake setup, including the filter element is fully capable of flowing more volume than the N* can swallow at any RPM range so I'm not sure why or how someone could even suggest that a new air filter will add 10 horse power to a car. Maybe a Diesel truck, or a lower performance cruiser but not the N*

The N* system is not a typical car. It's already been engineered for performance. There is very very little, if anything to gain from this engine and you're not going to get it with a new air filter, I promise.

Show me the dyno sheets before and after and prove to me that the source is reliable. Additionally no conical style filter is going to loose HP. If anything you'll loose some low end torque due to decreased pressure / increased volume but the HP won't change.

In order to gain HP you need to flow more air. In order to flow more air you need larger intake plenum and larger exhaust. The intake we can all due and as mentioned above the factory setup is more the sufficient to begin with. On the other end we need larger exhaust which we already discussed can't happen. The only bottleneck in the N* air flow is the front to rear crossover which can't be changed.

If you change one without the other you will loose low end torque which we have also proven time and time again.

So again, unless you know something about physics that all the people here have overlooked, it's not happening. If you really want to show me something, show me time slips proving faster than stock times.

Codewize: I tend to agree with you, its hard to believe a cone filter would lose HP, maybe it was just sucking in alot of hot air? I simply wanted to share the information I had found, especially since it is about the only information I have found that actaully uses some form of testing besides the butt dynomometer (which seems to be the standard for quality around here, which has resulted in no mod being worth any HP apparently). My intention wasn't to start a debate on air filter theory or even argue about dyno results. As I have already stated, the dyno graphs have been on caddyinfo.com for years, feel free to read all about it. I assumed with over 5000 posts and having registered 3 years ago, you might have seen the aforementioned website and info already.

Eric

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.