94 sts key stuck wont start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 94 sts key stuck wont start in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I need help guys. Please someone who has solved this issue. I was drving home when all of sudden while ...
    duele is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Exclamation 94 sts key stuck wont start

I need help guys. Please someone who has solved this issue. I was drving home when all of sudden while stopped at a light my revs were going up and down if I touched the gas it would die just a big mess. So after getting it home I tried to start it and now it wont, I pulled the plugs its not getting fuel and now some how my friggen key is stuck in the ignition and wont turn back to get it out. I replaced the fuel pump relay with the horn one and still nothing. I did see a code P020 when it was happening. Also P032 P036
    A couple others are in history like P107 P103, I remember seeing I039 current too. Im so lost. It ran so good now it wont start, this morning it sarted for about 5 min if i then it died when i touched the gas. Please help.
    Im getting no messages in my display I would like to get the key out and go from there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

STSj90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 STS N* TOTALED

Re: 94 sts key stuck wont start

Replace your MAP sensor. po32-open manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor signal

Im almost 100% sure that when you replace it it will fix your problem.

PO36 is an EGR code. Do a search on how to clean the EGR valve.

EDIT: PO20- OPEN FUEL PUMP CIRCUIT

thanks for the reply. I will change my MAP sensor once I get the car started. Plus P032 is in history not in current.
    I only got the P020 once. I cant get it to come back BUT there is no fuel in the combustion chamber. could the key being stuck be a sign vats has disabled my pump and locked the ignition or is this not possible? im going to check for volatge tomorrow at the fuel pump as well as continuity test for ground both on the sending unit and pump connectors. does anyone know how to access the fuel pump in a 94 Cad STS?

The MAP sensor is like an MAF. It has alot to do with air fuel ratio. It may very well be your problem with the car not starting. If i was you i would replace it. Because obviously it needs to be replaced anyway.

I believe codes go to history as soon as the key is put in the off position. So since its in history. It doesnt mean it isnt your problem. All history codes should be looked at as Current codes untill the problem is fixed IMO.

As for the key issue. I myself have never heard of it happening. Somone else will have to help you with that.

Ive herd of cars running really rich or off the chart because thier map sensor was shot but they still start. My experience tells me the computer should have survival mode basic mathmatical values to be put in place if this sensor fails. Am i right or wrong? my guess is even if I ripped the map sensor out of my car it should technically still start. I beleive its fuel related. Map sensor cannot tell the fuel pump to not send ANY fuel ive just never herd of that. correct me if im wrong please.

Ok here's the deal dude...I keep saying MAP sensor because my cousin has a 93. With the same N* as yours. He has had an MAP sensor problem 2 times. Each time the car would be running perfect and just die. It would do the exact same thing your car did. It would not start. We got it started and the more throttle he gave it. It would die. It took awhile to get home. After that it would not start. (and the rpms were doing weird things with the car started also) It did the exact thing your car did. We didnt check if it was getting fuel because we checked the codes and there was the same code you have. And it was in history. We replaced the MAP sensor and the car ran great. Except for a high idle wich was because it had to relearn. After a normal long drive the idle fixed itself. (relearned)

I myself would replace the MAP sensor. Its not a really expensive part. And you can get it at NAPA, Advanceautoparts, autozone, and probly others.... Its not hard to replace yourself. If you decide to replace it. Let me know. I can call him and ask him what size star bit you need.

EDIT: He was not having the problem with the key tho.....

ok right on i took apart the whole steering colomun and ignition to fix the tumbler it all happened at the same time. Im going to replace the map sensor today you might be right its acting real wierd with everything you described.i will do it today and let you know thanks.

Bought the map sensor today had a hell of a time identifiying where it went and now I know why. The map sensor listed at Part source said AS49. this map sensor is ONLY for 95-97. even though most sites list the same map sensor as the 95 they are indeed different. AS37 is the correct map sensor for a 1994 STS 4.6 N* vin 9. I will update this tomorrow when I recieve the larger proper map sensor thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by duele View Post
    Bought the map sensor today had a hell of a time identifiying where it went and now I know why. The map sensor listed at Part source said AS49. this map sensor is ONLY for 95-97. even though most sites list the same map sensor as the 95 they are indeed different. AS37 is the correct map sensor for a 1994 STS 4.6 N* vin 9. I will update this tomorrow when I recieve the larger proper map sensor thanks!

The MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure sensor) is for 93-94 N* Caddies.

Heres what they look like:

You can get an MAP sensor at autozone for like $43. Or at advanceautoparts but there $60 there.

The MAP sensor is under the intake manifold cover. You will have to take that off to get to it. Theres like 12 bolts to get the cover off. Once you get the cover off. You'll see The MAP sensor near the throttle body. Unplug the electrical connector from it. Make sure the rubber gasket like thing thats on the connector stays on the connector. Make sure its on the connector and not still in the old MAP sensor plug hole. Once thats done. From what i remember. The MAP sensor sort of slides out. (from what i remember) Just dont force anything.... If you feel like somthing is going wrong. Get on your computer and ask a question.... when its out. Just put the new map sensor into place. When its there. Make sure to plug the electrical connector back in to the new MAP sensor before you put it all back together.

once youve done that put the cover back on. Tighten the bolts down evenly. We tightened the four outer bolts first. (the two on each side of the cover) And we didnt tighten them all the way. We tightened the bolts till the rubber grommet's started touching on the cover alittle. Then we did the same to the inner bolts. And while doing this i kept my hand pushing on the center of the cover with little pressure to make sure we didnt bend the cover. (after you tightened all the bolts till the grommets touch the cover) You need to tighten each bolt little by little in a good order untill there all tightened good. I kept my hand on the cover during this time also. You will see the rubber grommets sqwishing down little by little... Just remember that your not trying to win any ''strongest man'' contests. Use common sense. They need to be tightened down good. I think we snugged em pretty good. You dont want an intake manifold leak.. Basically use common sense thru out the whole job. Dont tighten them till your red in the face or anything like that. (unless your some reeely whimpy dude) If by any chance you feel like you didnt tighten the bolts all down good. Go around the cover one last time making sure there all snugged in safely.

(if you feel like im wrong. Do it your way)

Be safe, use common sense..... This job is no big deal. Its a peice of cake. If you change oil and plugs and stuff like that. Then Basically you should have this one beat pretty easy i think. Remember, If you see somthing or need help. Post up..

EDIT: Im no mechanic and neither is my cousin. We just like doing things for our selves. You get satisfaction and its a whole lot cheaper that way.

EDIT: (AGAIN) The star bits look like this.

If you have a socket wrench and socket set already. You just need a T30 star bit.

replaced map sensor today, didnt solve anything surprisingly i changed banged on the ICS I beleive its called because mine a way clicking and I read thats a sign of it failing. once hitting it the car started and ran for a few seconds but didnt keep working. Ive pulled the ICS out and now it wont start again. can it control its ability to start or am I replacing tons of other parts that have problems im so friggen lost. Now I have code P022 and P036 and I033 and P103. can EGR cause it not to start? If I prime it with the key a few times it will start for a half a second then die. could it be abad oil pressure switch man oh man im sick of putting money for NOTHING into this car.

finally today I figured it out. When I was hitting the IDLE SPEED CONTROL or ISC I was also vibrating the TPS or Throttle position sensor. My tps has gone bad and didnt throw any code. Infact it was what was throwing almost every other code lol. Soon as a bumped it with a screw driver it threw a code. So I bumped it again. Car started and ran mint no codes. I can tell you first hand that a pulsating gas peddle before or after ignition turned on or off is not always a bad ISC. Mine was hunting because there was no signal from TPS. If your cars rpms are not reading right, and your car isnt reving right not to mention will barely start or randomly act up while sitting at idle I would check TPS first. dont waste your money on parts like MAP sensor and ISC etc etc etc... there are three wires on a 1994 cadillac sts one is ground the other too should read voltage. 5v input, ground, and a varience in voltage from the other wire which goes to the PCM. .5 volts to a max of 5v at WOT. thanks goodluck guys.

Glad you found your problem. Didnt know your ISC was clicking. If its throwing a code for somthing. Theres somthing going wrong. So replacing the MAP sensor was not a bad idea. The car did not start or try starting untill you replaced your Map sensor tho right?

Anyway, I was only going by what you told me/what codes came up. His car did the exact thing yours did and then there was the MAP sensor code. So we listened to what the computer had to say and we replaced the MAP sensor and the car started up. We didnt bang on anything to make codes come up. Maybe you need to tighten the screws on your TPS. Or maybe check your connections on the TPS or somthing. Since its not throwing a code for it now.

EDIT: If you have a highidle now. Go take i for a long drive. He drove threw town(stop and go) and also drove on the highway. It solved it. But not right away.

The map sensor had nothing to do with the car starting, I talked to a cert mechanic with GM and he confirmed my beliefs about the computer putting math values inplace of the map sensor reading if it failed. Gas milage would suffer but it would still run. OR should.
    TPS connections were fine the spring inside which turns and senses throttle position had gone giving a full 5v at idle. In short the tps thought I had my foot slammed on the peddle and told the computer not to add anymore fuel. Thus resulting in no fuel at all and no start. I appreciate the helpI did obiviously have a problem with my MAP because now my fuel milage gauge reads right which is nice, but wasnt worth $100 lol.
    Ridin in luxury again!

Quote Originally Posted by duele View Post
    The map sensor had nothing to do with the car starting, I talked to a cert mechanic with GM and he confirmed my beliefs about the computer putting math values inplace of the map sensor reading if it failed. Gas milage would suffer but it would still run. OR should.
    TPS connections were fine the spring inside which turns and senses throttle position had gone giving a full 5v at idle. In short the tps thought I had my foot slammed on the peddle and told the computer not to add anymore fuel. Thus resulting in no fuel at all and no start. I appreciate the helpI did obiviously have a problem with my MAP because now my fuel milage gauge reads right which is nice, but wasnt worth $100 lol.
    Ridin in luxury again!
    Hope you didnt spend $100 on that MAP sensor....

Anyway, With a bad MAP sensor signal the car Might not run at all. Or may run but will keep dieing. The car will NOT run perfect. You will have some problems if you have a Bad MAP sensor. Each time his MAP sensor went out. The idle RPM was wacky. And if it started and drove. You would keep having problems with the car dieing out Or trying to die.. I know that it will not just kill gas mileage. The car may drive. But not long untill you have some problems Besides gas milage. Like the car not wanting to run.

When these car's throw codes. The car is not lieing to you. It means theres somthing wrong. Or either you have Low voltage and that may make the car throw codes.

Still, Glad your car is running right. And everything is good. Now you have a Perfect running Northstar.

NeMiZiS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Seville STS

I have a 9s Seville with a 94 build date, I'm wondering do I have a MAF or MAP sensor?
    I'm working on an idling problem right now and I'm thinking it is the MAF ,PCV, or EGR

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.