Drag tips or suggestions for 03 DTS.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Drag tips or suggestions for 03 DTS. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys, wanted to get tips before my visit to Infineon Raceway on Wednesday the 15th. 2003 DTS all stock ...
    NoMaBeach is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille, 2003 DTS

Drag tips or suggestions for 03 DTS.

Hey guys, wanted to get tips before my visit to Infineon Raceway on Wednesday the 15th. 2003 DTS all stock except for lowered suspension. Lay it on me:

-Octane for California Car?
    -Tire pressure?
    -Manual shift vs in Drive?
    -Traction Control On/Off?

What did your Deville run? anything my friends.. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Re: Drag tips or suggestions for 03 DTS.

Put it in 2nd, leave TCC on, floor it just before the green on the tree lights up, don't preload the trans and don't manually shift, let it shift 1-2, 2-3 while in 2nd, it will redline and e-shift you up to 3rd so don't worry about hitting the rev limiter or not shifting to 3rd, it will also up the line pressure this way and make for faster/harder shifts. If you disable TCC it will start you in 2nd and your 60 foots will be SLOOOOOOOW. Don't attempt a burnout, you'll only put undue stress on your trans and driveshafts, plus with street tires a burnout isn't going to do squat except reduce tread. You could scrub the tires with a brush to ensure they're clean/good surface but that requires a pit crew. Lower tire pressure in 5 lb increments to determine best hookup. Realize that lower tire pressure will help you hook but will also put more stress on your driveline and the joints on the halfshafts are not indestructable, I know I've snapped 2 but not dragging and not in a straight line, but something to consider...

Post some slips when you're done...

Thanks Raze! exactly the kind of tips I was looking for. I do have experience drag racing. In high school, I had a 13 second small block 70 Chevelle. Your info is the stuff I never dealt with. Fwd car and all that computer stuff. I will post times.

Anyone else? What about octane? 91 is the hightest we have on the street. There is a Sunoco at the track with race gas.

mighty_quad4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

erm. lowering the tire pressure takes stress off of the driveline. the sidewall absorbs more shock that way.

since he has an 03 he can turn the TC off and itll start in 1st. though from my experience it doesnt matter either way since the damned computer still takes over if the TC is on or off. whats the point of the button if it steps in regardless?... /rant.

also, lowering tire pressure if 5lb increments is WAY to much at once. try more like 2lbs each time at MOST. start off with 28lbs and work your way down. your pressure is too low when the car starts to wander on the top end or the ET rises whichever occurs first. add 2lbs back after that and thatll be the good drag race TP baseline.

also, doing a burntout on street tires is helpful but you dont need a huge tire smoking affair. its a moot point anyways since the ecm wont let us do one to begin with.

with your car, i suggest cleaning off the tires prefereably by driving around the water box and doing a few dry hops to check the track. since youre not new to drag racing ill assume you know what a dry hop is. next is staging. preload the converter up to about 2500 if itll let you. when the light drops let the car launch itself out and roll on the throttle quickly about 30-40 feet out. thatll minimize wheelspin.

Ur7x is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    Put it in 2nd, leave TCC on, floor it just before the green on the tree lights up, don't preload the trans and don't manually shift, let it shift 1-2, 2-3 while in 2nd, it will redline and e-shift you up to 3rd so don't worry about hitting the rev limiter or not shifting to 3rd, it will also up the line pressure this way and make for faster/harder shifts....
    There is lots of debate if these cars go faster with a "stomp and go" or the brake stand technique (aka load up the tranny)...

Most back to back tests show that preloading the tranny to about 2000-2500 RPM will produce the best times... The fear is that the traction control system will deactivate cylinders... We are all pretty sure that this is NOT the case for stock PCM's...

However tuned PCMs currently being produced will turn of half the cylinders and will run slower.

Try it both ways and post the results. Betcha a 2500 Preload will drop your 1/4 mile time by at least 0.5 seconds.

Good Luck!

mythy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado 98

Can any one give me a few pointers on a 98 Eldorado?

She has practically no power when I mash the peddle between 0 and 40mph I must be doing some thing wrong here...

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

mythy, Several replies to your other posts elsewhere on this subject have pretty much nailed down that your transmission is starting off in second gear, probably due to either the ISS (Input Speed Sensor) or the 1-2 and 2-3 shift solenoids being faulty and placing the transmission in a torque management or traction control mode.

On a level road, accelerate normally and count the number of shift points (there should be 3 distinct shifts) and the speed at which TCC (Torque Converter Control) engages. TCC is that last 200 - 300 rpm drop at above 45 mph under light throttle. If your transmission does not shift through 4 gears and TCC (5th or OD), then you have problems.

As you posted, and several answered, an Eldorado IS NOT SLOW from 0 to 40 mph.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Lots of experienced advice here.

I personally ran my best times loading the TC to around 2200, TC on with the torque management defeat button pushed, launching the car hard and holding it to the floor.

I let the car do all the shifting.

DO NOT DO A BURN OUT. I know it looks like fun but if you're running street tires there are lots of cons to going through the water box. Don't even drive through it.

Water gets in the tread and while you stage it all runs down and makes a puddle under your tire. Thus causing you to launch in a puddle of water.

Oh yeah, contrary to what some believe, I ran Sunoco 93 octane. Some say it doesn't matter, I say it definitely does.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

im not sure if his car will even let him launch at 2500 or even 2000 for that matter. my 2000 STS forces the rpm down to 1700 when i footbrake it. TC on or off doesnt matter.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Really? Hmm I don't have that problem at all. I can gas it with my foot on the brake until the converter flashes.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_quad4 View Post
    im not sure if his car will even let him launch at 2500 or even 2000 for that matter. my 2000 STS forces the rpm down to 1700 when i footbrake it. TC on or off doesnt matter.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

my STS wont go over 2000rpm. it feels like the ecm is cutting power. it flat refuses to go higher than about 1700ish. i own a 69 Barracuda with a 3000 stall converter. im familiar with what one feels like at full stall and the Cadillac isnt hitting full stall.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by codewize View Post
    Really? Hmm I don't have that problem at all. I can gas it with my foot on the brake until the converter flashes.
    Can you get me a picture of that?
    I am getting concerned about my sanity.

You can't do it. I have spent too much time working on Highlines car I he can't do that, so if he can't you can't unless I am loosing it and fumbled across something. Hmm That doesn't make sense either because that PCM ran slower. I need to stop thinking.
    I have spent the last 3 hrs looking at your BIN file

Got to go something just came to me.

Quote Originally Posted by codewize View Post
    i hate to get off topic here but i think its still a bit in line with Drag Tips because it concerns launch a car from a stop.

AJ posted this in another thread:
    I tried to test the stall speed in a 2003 DHS. To do this you place the car in gear, apply the brake to hold the car, and mash the gas. The car would rev to 1800 RPM's and then start to drop off. Then if I held it for more than say 5 seconds it would kill cylinders. pretty soon it was 1500 RPM's
    this is exactly what my car does though i cant vouch for the dropping down to 1500 because i either A. didnt notice or B. didnt do it long enough for it to drop. either way, what he posted is what my car does.

so to sum it up, an 03 DTS might be able to flash a converter to 2500 but my 2000 STS can not. i would bet an 03 DTS cant either.

ideally id want acar that wouldnt tell me how to drive itself. i am the driver not the car and as such i prefer to be responsible for what happens.

from what i gathered the first time out with the STS is that the car cant do a burnout of ANY kind what so ever [ i sort of already knew this just didnt experience it in the car till then ], keeping the TC ON and keeping the shifter in 2nd makes the car shift a little harder, and stallign the converter beyond 1700-1800rpm is a waste of time. all of that netted me a HORRIBLE 2.6 60 ft time as the ****ing car refusedto launch with any authority at ALL and i didnt get ANY power what so ever until 3500-4000 rpm. this resulted in 9.90s and 10 flats in the 1/8th. the car has an honest 9.60 in it at least.

to make things worse, my friend was at the strip with his 06 Impala SS. he was running 9.40s @ 75mph and i was running 9.90s @ 74mph. THATS frustrating.

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

erm. lowering the tire pressure takes stress off of the driveline. the sidewall absorbs more shock that way.
    On real drag tires this is 100% true, not so on street tires that have reinforced sidewalls that don't 'give'...

since he has an 03 he can turn the TC off and itll start in 1st. though from my experience it doesnt matter either way since the damned computer still takes over if the TC is on or off. whats the point of the button if it steps in regardless?... /rant.
    I'm going by my 98, if they changed it in 03+ cool...

also, lowering tire pressure if 5lb increments is WAY to much at once. try more like 2lbs each time at MOST. start off with 28lbs and work your way down. your pressure is too low when the car starts to wander on the top end or the ET rises whichever occurs first. add 2lbs back after that and thatll be the good drag race TP baseline.
    I should have clarified that since he's new to dragging he should drop larger amounts first to find where the upper and lower bounds are, and then use smaller increments to dial it in, if you go 2lbs it could take you all night to find the sweet spot...

also, doing a burntout on street tires is helpful but you dont need a huge tire smoking affair. its a moot point anyways since the ecm wont let us do one to begin with.
    I have to disagree, street tires are nothing like drag tires and burning them out won't do much at all, like I said a good scrub to clean em up is best. Actually on my 98 if you just tap the brakes enough to get the brake lights on you can stomp on it and it'll override the TC and let you smoke em...

Here ya go folks... I stalled the converter to about 2200 rpms in 2nd and held it through. Only got 2 practice runs and lost in the first round. I broke out on my 15.85 dial in... ran a 15.497 @ 88.56 miles an hour on 96 sunoco with a splash of 91. All stock DTS except for the lowered springs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.