P0300 code....AGAIN!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, P0300 code....AGAIN! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok, this is going to be kind of vague but here's my situation with my car.....I've had the p0300 code ...
    elby04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97eldoradoETC

P0300 code....AGAIN!

Ok, this is going to be kind of vague but here's my situation with my car.....I've had the p0300 code coming up for little while now, every once and a while it trips the s.e.s. light on the dash but if I go in and clear the codes it'll go away and not come back for up to a month sometimes. I've changed the plugs and wires and I'm looking for some guidance on what to do next. I believe i heard on here somewhere that the next step would be to do the coils on it but just want to make sure. if it is the coils need to be done next does anyone know if i can take them out myself and have them tested somewhere??? may be a dumb question but its better to ask then waste money changing them if i can find out if there bad or not, right? anyway thanks in advance to whom ever answers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: P0300 code....AGAIN!

This is usually the problem......wires switched on one or two coil towers. It's critical that the wires are connected according to the diagram.

Click and scroll in.

Take a real hard look at the coil towers with the wires disconnected........any burns or cracks? Make sure the ignition circuits are OK, and if that doesn't cure the 0300 (miss detected) then troubleshoot the fuel injectors.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Sub, didn't he say that it was intermittent? I would expect a crossed wire to be constant, no?

BTW Elby, I was just down in Missouri this last weekend. Damn, you guys have some cheap gas down there. Filled up for $2.94!

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Sub, didn't he say that it was intermittent? I would expect a crossed wire to be constant, no?

BTW Elby, I was just down in Missouri this last weekend. Damn, you guys have some cheap gas down there. Filled up for $2.94!
    Damn, you'll have to let me know where Ranger, it's still 3.29-3.45 in the metro STL area!

Anywho... to the OP... The PO300 code (Random cylinder misfire detected) is not always indicative of an electrical problem. Sadly, a recurring PO300 that happens intermittently or more often when *all* electrical possibilities have been ruled out can be an early indicator of the headbolt issue.

I would give Submariner's suggestion a try, however after that I would not keep pouring money into this problem before closely examining any coolant use you might be experiencing or at some point, a cylinder leak down test.

My White Diamond '98 STS would get that code after an occasional stall, but not nearly as often as you are getting it.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If the miss is intermittent then it doesn't sound like crossed wires, but at least he can do a logical progression through wires, coils, ICM, injectors.

This one's a brain teaser.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Damn, you'll have to let me know where Ranger, it's still 3.29-3.45 in the metro STL area!
    It was $2.99 - $2.96 in Monet and Pierce City. I topped off the rental car for $2.94 just outside SGF (Springfield airport).

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Do the cheap and easy 'arc' test:

1) at night or in very dark garage
    2) get a spray bottle of water
    3) open hood and run engine
    4) mist plug wires
    5) if you see a blue glow or arcing discharge from any wire the insulation is failing and needs to be replaced

Next is chec your plugs, how old are they? what is their gap? what do they look like (coloration)

Injectors, two tests here that are DIY easy and cheap:

1) while running put a flathead screwdriver to each injector body and put your ear to it, listen/feel for a 'click' (though with an intermittent problem this is very unlikely this is your problem).

2) get a volt-meter and check the impedence across each injector, these are high-impedence injectors and should read in the teens for ohms, make sure they all have close to the same values.

Coil-pack, put a timing light on each wire and ensure it's firing consistently (again doubt it with intermittent problem).

Check / replace throttle position sensor ($35), problem here can cause a stall or near stall which will also trigger the misfire code (had this happen to me but also got the stall code).

I would say check your fuel pump but if your car isn't dying every few minutes i'd say you're in the clear there.

MAF sensor may be dirty and need to be cleaned, search around for procedure, not hard but do it the wrong way and you'll be paying for a new one.

Have you changed your airfilter in awhile? (doubt it's a problem but trying to think of any A/F related components that could affect you).

Goodluck...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.