OBD2 Scantool for Northstar Engine to monitor knock?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, OBD2 Scantool for Northstar Engine to monitor knock? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    NorthStarGXP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Bonneville GXP, gutted airbox, 14.64 @ 95.54

OBD2 Scantool for Northstar Engine to monitor knock?

Hi all, newbie here. Iíve got a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville with the 275-horse NorthStar engine. Iíd like to know if anyone here is aware of any OBD-2 scanner is capable of monitoring spark retard due to knock for a Northstar PCM. If spark retard is not available, total advance might be an acceptable substitute. Iím open to any experience or feedback regarding the different scantools; I want to be able to datalog and measure performance as well.

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: OBD2 Scantool for Northstar Engine to monitor knock?

Take a look at www.scangauge.com. You can monitor any 4 of 12 gauges at one time, and ignition advance, throttle position, coolant temp and intake air temp are 4 of them.......plus it's a code reader/scan tool. Plugs into the OBD-II port with a 6-foot cable.

I can tell you from experience that the ScanGauge ignition advance/retard function zips all over the place depending on any little change in any little engine operation. It would be practically impossible to factor out the actual retard under various loads with various fuel mixtures.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Also look at the BR-3 model at http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

I have been using one for years and the PCM information available (and logable) is worth the price. Download the s/w and take a look at the parameters you can monitor. Laptop required.

Indeed, spark timing is a continuously moving target. You have to log several parameters to get a feel for why the PCM altered spark timing at any given moment.

BTW, that is a rare vehicle you have. Please do take care of it and when you decide it needs a new home, send me a PM.

NorthStarGXP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Bonneville GXP, gutted airbox, 14.64 @ 95.54

Thanks for the replies. I haven't messed with the OBD2 stuff, but I was hoping that there would be a way to display the retard due to spark knock. I'd expect this to typically be zero, unless knock was detected and the PCM was pulling timing. I know that the GM 3800 guys are able to monitor this through 2003, and when they see retard due to knock, they drop the boost, update the tune, put in better gas, or whatever to address the issue.

I'm planning on attemping to tune the car using a MAF translator, but I really do need to know if the engine is seeing any knock. If so, it will mean I've gotten too agressive and need to richen up the AFR.

intravino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Check out also Carplugs for Obd2 USB CAN scan tool.

I've been using their USB version of the obdii scanner and it works great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.