1-2 At 45 Now Instead Of 40?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1-2 At 45 Now Instead Of 40? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK, Maybe I may be going crazy but, My 2001 STS used to shift at redline(roughly 6700rpm) at 40 mph. ...
    msta293412 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac sts

1-2 At 45 Now Instead Of 40?

OK, Maybe I may be going crazy but, My 2001 STS used to shift at redline(roughly 6700rpm) at 40 mph. This was common for all of us STS owners of this generation. I havent changed anything since Ive noticed this. I already had a slightly modded air intake and slightly modded exhaust, along with 18" factory STS wheels off of the 2006 STS. But the tire height was carefully matched up with a lower profile tire to make it stock specs.....But all this was way prior to this new anomoly. I dont know if the heat around here right now is doing something weird( 94-97 degrees) with rainforest like humidity....I didnt notice this last year, but....Does anyone have any input as to why my car all of a sudden changes gear at WOT of coarse, from 1st to 2nd at 45 mph instaed of 40??....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: 1-2 At 45 Now Instead Of 40?

Your PCM may have learned that you do a lot of WOT accelerations and adjusted to your aggressive driving style. The PCM is built to learn, and if you do a lot of one type of driving, may have adjusted itself to try to provide what you are asking for, optimal acceleration.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The red area on a 2001 - 2003 STS tachometer begins at 6,250 RPM. There are no shift speeds listed in the FSM for greater than 50% TPS, so a shift speed of 40-50 is somewhere in the ballpark. It all depends whether you're going uphill, flat, or going downhill. LOTS of factors affect shift speeds. LOTS. .........how many people in the car, for one.......

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

There is also lag and overshoot in the response of analog gauges that can give the appearance of variable results.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    Your PCM may have learned that you do a lot of WOT accelerations and adjusted to your aggressive driving style. The PCM is built to learn, and if you do a lot of one type of driving, may have adjusted itself to try to provide what you are asking for, optimal acceleration.
    I'm pretty sure what was 'learned' is lost when the key is turned OFF.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I'm pretty sure what was 'learned' is lost when the key is turned OFF.
    No not lost unless battery power is disconnected; see owners manual.

msta293412 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac sts

Well guys, all good answers....Though Im sure the pcm would have learned how I drive along time ago, like 3 years Ive owned this thing and I drive it like I stole it. #2 I always do WOT's alone in the car (wife and kids would freak), and I certainly dont race with a freind in the car(dont need any more weight) #3 I live in South Florida(Miami/Ft. Lauderdale) area.....not one hill or small mountain in the entire state(flat as a board) #4 is something to consider as plausible.....The analog gauge can be lagging or slightly inacurate at times....its just that Im noticing this more consistantly now more than ever.....Im going to go with that one untill I can come up with something better. Just a side note though, I always used to run 93, especialy when it cools down around here, the car runs good.....Since the gas prices have gone crazy, I just threw in the towel and started running 87, thinking ok, here comes the heat, that coupled with the 87 octane, my car is gonna be so slow. BUT, for some reason, in the high heat, my car actually runs good WITH the 87, better than the 93. Maybe the 1-2 mph changed when I started running 87 in this hot weather.....I dont know....Thanks for all your input so far......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.