Coolant overflow?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Coolant overflow? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Odd thing happened earlier today, I came home after running the caddy in 85* temps, shut her down ran inside ...
    Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Coolant overflow?

Odd thing happened earlier today, I came home after running the caddy in 85* temps, shut her down ran inside came out 5 mins later statred it up & smelled coolant, the guage was slightly past 12 O'clock, which is not unusual. back up & found a large puddle of Dirty looking coolant, wich kind of surprised me since it was changed a little over 2 years ago.

anyway I looked under the car & I see it leaking towards the middle of the motor off center to the left, It was a steady drip. I immediatly thought water pump, I poped the hood with the motor running, checked the belt & the pully, no smell & it is dry, shut it down looked again, it's dry. I check under the car the Radiator which is a little over two years old is dry, the upper & lower hoses appear dry from what I can see. Again The leak seems to be coming from the off center left off the car, there is like a metal shield there or somthing.

So I took the car on some errands, in heavy stop & go traffic The needle stayed arond the same postion & the digital readut showed 217* to 224* & the fans would kick on, but the temp never went elow 217* again, not unusual, but a little strange. get to my talior, park in a dry spot, check b4 I go in, no leak, came back outside & the ground was still dry. Drive a few blocks to our local Macy's park in a dry spot, no leak, come back outside 30 mins later, no leak. Drive home temp is normal, it was actually running normal, temps etween 196* & 223* depending on traffic.Leave it running with the A/C om for a few mins, Temp was normal, no leak no rise in Temp.

So my question is this, is there a coolant overflow hose, was there maybe a hiccup of Air in the system & the hard driving & quick shut down force it to boil over? I was thinking maybe its a pin hole heater hose leak, I can't think of why there would be a hose that far back from the Radiator.

I did not realize how dirty the coolant was, I'm gonna get in changed in the next couple of days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Coolant overflow?

There is an overflow hose. It should be on the recovery tank. Hard to say why it would burp out just once. Keep an eye on it. The dirty color might be from the GM cooling system supplement (sealant tabs), but if it was changed 2 years ago, it's due.

Thanks 4 the quick reply Ranger I will watch it.

Anyone else with thoughts please chime in.

After doiing a thread search I have coculded that either it's a small heater hose leaking, or the coolant crossover gasket.

Any thoughts?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

First let me correct myself. I'm surprised someone else hasn't. You are not due for a coolant change. I though you had green coolant.

Hard to say without seeing it. I would get the cooling system pressure tested. That will make the leak show itself.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

If it the leak in on the rear of the engine (the drivers side) there a few small silicone heater hose connections that could be leaking. If memory serves, there is a pope off the water pump area that has one of those hoses, and then the pipe connects on the other end to the metal coolant pies that go around to the front of the engine. Then there is another connection from the other coolant pipe from the front of the engine that connects to the coolant crossover.

Help me out guys - correct me if I'm wrong

misfit6794 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT

Its pretty much like a maze, the easiest thing to do would be to pressure test it.

wsolman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 STS

I had an annoying coolant leak in the same area.
    Towards the rear of the engine on the drivers side. Sometimes it left a puddle-most of the time not. Temps ran normal, I could just smell coolant.
    It turned out to be the small green silicone hose that ran from the crossover to the heater pipe.
    It was a PITA to replace but I haven't had an issue since. You may try to tighten the clamps and see if that helps.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Maybe check the radiator cap (does it have one) or the pressure cap at the overflow bottle. If the cap goes bad it is a lot easier for the coolant to boil over (no pressure in the system). It could also be a cracked coolant overflow bottle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.