Nitrous Wet Or Dry???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Nitrous Wet Or Dry??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was thinking about installing nitrous on my 2002 Deville DTS. I was wondering if anyone installed a dry system ...
    GONEB4U is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nitrous Wet Or Dry???

I was thinking about installing nitrous on my 2002 Deville DTS. I was wondering if anyone installed a dry system on a 4.6 before. I have one on my 99 Trans Am and it works great.It put down over 500hp to the wheels. It works by shooting the dry nitrous on to the mass air and the computer would compensate the fuel through the injectors. Does our computers in the caddy's have the ability to compensate fuel because the mass air senses it? I know the other route is to go with a wet kit,but dry kits are just easier to hide and set up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Nitrous Wet Or Dry???

depends on how much power you are looking for.

for a N* I'd go for a 75 horse shot dry. its your easiest and safest bet

I'm looking for 75hp-100hp max. But do they shoot the N20 through the mass air or after the mass air? The reason I ask is because on some cars the o2's enrich the fuel mixture. On other cars the mass air enrichens the mixture.

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

I run a wet 125 shot, direct port. It's a pain in the butt, and honestly, I'm not sure I'd recommend going the nitrous route. Unless you're good. I'd hunt for more consistent power first.

Randy_W is offline Banned

I've been running N2O for 25 years this month, on everything from stock street cars to my offshore boat and jet skiis. Properly installed and adequate fuel pressure, you can safely increase a stock engine's horsepower by 50%.

Thumbs up Re: Nitrous Wet Or Dry???

Over the past 15 years I've owned 37 cars. Half of those cars were run with N20.I beleive carefull preperation and extensive research is the key to success.In all those years I never let myself get greedy or sloppy with my N20. I never lost a motor too date. Which is the reason I want to make sure if the caddy computer in 02 can compensate for the extra dense and cold air that would go through the mass air. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I personally think direct port injection is the best available system out there today... With dry systems, you always run the chance of leaning out, with wet systems, you can have different cylinders getting different A/F ratios... Direct port is the safest as far as longevity is concerned, but is also the most expensive... But then would you rather pay $500 more for 8 foggers and tubing, or $4000 for a new engine?

Randy_W is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1
    I personally think direct port injection is the best available system out there today... With dry systems, you always run the chance of leaning out, with wet systems, you can have different cylinders getting different A/F ratios... Direct port is the safest as far as longevity is concerned, but is also the most expensive... But then would you rather pay $500 more for 8 foggers and tubing, or $4000 for a new engine?
    The only part I ever lost directly to nitrous oxide was a piston on a stock Fiero GT when a fuel solenoid failed and leaned out the mixture. That was on an old Marvin Miller system of 1979 vintage.

I agree that direct port is the way to go, especially on a multi port injected engine.

I understand that the best and most efficiant system is a direct port system. But I would like to know if the mass air in a 02 deville has the capabilities to enrichen the fuel curve through the injectors.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by GONEB4U
    I understand that the best and most efficiant system is a direct port system. But I would like to know if the mass air in a 02 deville has the capabilities to enrichen the fuel curve through the injectors.
    It might, but it wouldn't do enough... You'd still lean it out way too much. I'd go with a wet, direct port system. yes you'll have all kinds of lines running everywhere, but it's really the only safe way to do it.

The computer in my 99 Trans Am handles my 150hp dry shot through my mass air with no problem. The car dyno's 390rwhp on motor and 505rwhp on spray. Again I'm not looking to put that much through the caddy but I'm hopeing that it (mass air & computer) can handle 75hp-100hp. Anyone ever tried this before?

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by GONEB4U
    But I would like to know if the mass air in a 02 deville has the capabilities to enrichen the fuel curve through the injectors.
    I've never installed nitrous on anything, so keep that in mind as you read this...

I'm sure the MAF has some ability to affect the fuel curve based on how much air it thinks is going through it. If it didn't, why have the sensor in the first place? However, N20 has more actual oxygen in it than the atmosphere, it isn't that it's really dense (though it may be denser than the atmosphere, I've no idea). So I wouldn't think a MAF would adjust enough as it would think it is all atmosphere that's going through it.

I would think the O2 sensor would have to play some role in bringing up the fuel. I believe (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the O2 sensor can only differentiate between a certain range off of stochiometric. Further off one way starts to look like it's acutally the other way. The voltage over the range of mixture ratios is a wave, not a sloped line. So if the N2O changed the ratio a lot, I'd think the computer would not be able to adjust this properly. But this is all me guessing.

I do know that Borla did a progressive dry system on an Aurora back in the mid 1990's. It was only a 50-shot, and of course the 90's Premium V8 changed a lot when it became the 2000's Premium V8. So basically, I've no idea. In answer to your last question, it would appear that no, no one's ever tried it before. Did you make some fuel changes (pump, injector, etc) on your Firebird before it could crank out 500hp?
    wanderersts and wanderersts like this.

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

I wouldnt want to put the nitrous so it runs past the MAF. I personally wouldn't give the MAF credit for taking the extreme temp difference. Nitrous is very very cold, way below freezing. I don't know its exact temp, but it's cold enough to give about a 2nd degree burn. I know this from personal experience. If you're going to do it, I'd recommend going direct port. The motor will take a sizable shot without too much harm, but I'd recommend having done the time serts first too. Just as precautions.

Ls1 powered f-bodies can handle 400 hp to the wheels on stock injectors and pump. I was doing near that on motor so I upgraded my pump and injectors to put down over 500hp to the back tires. I know the computer takes data from the mass air and o2's on my Trans Am to compensate for the added n20 through the mass air. I know wet systems are a little safer then relying on the mass air to hold up but to this date I've yet to here about anyone having a problem with their dry kit on a ls1. Wet systems have a tendency to blow the crap out of plastic intakes and air box's if theirs a back fire. So I'm hoping to find someone who did a dry system through the mass air on a 02 N* and had success. If not then I guess I'm just gonna have to take the car to the dyno and start out with a 50hp shot and work my way up to 100hp shot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.