Performing "block" test from Napa
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Performing "block" test from Napa in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am guessing that the large syringe fits over the purge tank hole, correct? My problem is that there is ...
    VinnyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Performing "block" test from Napa

I am guessing that the large syringe fits over the purge tank hole, correct? My problem is that there is no coolant left after our drive home. (See 98 STS overheating thread from me) Can I add some water or coolant to perform this test? Will there be enough exhaust gases in the rest of the system to mix and give a good enough reading?

Thanks
    V

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Performing "block" test from Napa

Yes, but it will take a little time for them to mix. Have you called the dealer? Why are you wasting time on this?

jeffrsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 SLS, '05 Deville, '87 Porsche 944

If your read the instructions on that test kit you will find that the engine has to be up to operating temperature also. Add some water warm the engine up, and test it. If you do have a head gasket issue you will know within a few squeezes of the bulb (the blue liquid will turn green then yellow). My engine was not at normal temps and it changed to yellow within 3 squeezes. The fact that the coolant was just changed has no bearing on the results of the test - it is pulling gases out of the overflow tank, not reading anything in the coolant itself.

VinnyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Thanks guys. It confirmed that it is the head gaskets.

Ranger, we have talked to the dealer yesterday. My father has left another message this morning for him to call. We are not comfortable driving it 135 miles back to the dealership. Anything could happen on the way. We will see what the dealer will do and go from there.

Thanks

jeffrsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 SLS, '05 Deville, '87 Porsche 944

Sorry to hear that, hopefully the dealer will fix the problem. What did your dad pay for the car, hopefully not too much? Was it purchased from a franchised dealer or was it a good ol'boy dealership? Not that it really matters, just would hope that a "real" dealership wouldn't have screwed you like that. There are a lot of sharks (unscrupulous business people) out there that one has to be careful off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.