Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Blown Head Gasket On A 97 Deville

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  chubbyranger 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm new on here and have a couple of questions.

I recently blew the head gasket on my Deville and am not sure what to do. Some ppl say to change the engine, others have told me to get the gasket replaced and take the engine to a machine shop to get any warping leveled off, some have told me to get rid of the car. Which I really dont want to. Being that I dont know much about engines (or cars for that matter) I'm not sure what to do.

I know alot of you guys know about this subject, so any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

G
#2 ·
Of the 3 choices, I say get rid of it. When my '98 blew the H/G's, I got rid of it and I'm glad I did. Unless you can do it yourself, its far too costly of a repair, many times exceeding the value of the car itself. On the other hand if the car means something to you sentimentally, maybe you will want to do the repair, cost be damned. There are many here that have done the repair and lived to tell about it. Good luck to you!

BTW: Be sure to post on the Headgasket Poll: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...hstar-headgasket-bolt-failure-please-let.html

#3 ·
The repair IS expensive. Around $3000 (give or take). Replacing the engine is risky because you do not know when or if that one may go. If you are going to keep it and have it repaired, be sure that all 20 bolt holes get Timeserted so It will not happen again. Do a little searching here. This has been discussed many, many times.

G
#7 ·
Ideally a new motor would be best but thats a huge expense. I've heard estimates as high as $8k. The repair would be about $3K++ if you are having someone do it. Go out there and get some estimates and make sure those estimates include timeserts and try to find someone who has done a few successfully. Good luck!

#8 ·
A remanufactured N* long block goes for about $5800 and that's without installation. Someone who knows how to do the job should charge ~$3000 for redoing the headgaskets. I just paid $4K for HGs, bad cams and the lower case half leak. The biggest challenge for me was finding someone to work on the car. If yu are going to do it yourself, buy a Factory Service Manual and read read read these boards befor you start. There are a few people who have done nice jobs documenting their HG projects so you can see what you're getting into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.