'99 El Dorado White Smoke 70 mph and up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, '99 El Dorado White Smoke 70 mph and up in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a '99 El Dorado with 110,000 miles. It has been problem free and maintained. Recently when going 70 ...
    renoah is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

'99 El Dorado White Smoke 70 mph and up

I have a '99 El Dorado with 110,000 miles. It has been problem free and maintained. Recently when going 70 mph or greater it will begin to smoke white out of the exhaust. When I drop below 70 this will stop. It does not do this everytime above 70, I will say 50% of the time. The oil is not milky and the coolant does not appear to have signs of oil in it.
    I have also noticed lately that I have had to add trans fluid quite often. Recently on a 350 mile trip I crept up above 70 mph and had the cruise set. After approx 45 min I noticed that it began to smoke white. At the same time the "Trans Hot Idle Engine" code 112 indicator came on, this is the one and only time this has came on. I pulled to the side of the highway. When I popped the hood I noticed that it looked like trans fluid had come out of the black tube that comes up on top of the engine that has a silver cap on it. You can move the cap up and down without it coming off (appears to be a relief valve). At this time I also had to add more fluid. I have not seen any indication of any fluids leaking under the car (there is no fluid found on the ground when parked). The "service transmission" indicator code 100 has never came on. The car has been driven 5-7 times since this with no issues. What are your suggestions as to what this could be and what should I do now to prevent a major occurance from happening soon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: '99 El Dorado White Smoke 70 mph and up

Not sure if your transmission has a vacuum shift modulator, but, if it does, they were a cause of just your problem: ruptured diaphragm allowing transmission fluid to be sucked into the intake manifold.......BUT, if the transmission vent has "blown" fluid out, there's something causing pressure in the transmission case......don't forget that your transmission is a dry sump unit and fluid level must be adjusted ONLY with the engine/trans hot, in P. If you see oil on the dipstick: engine off, it's overfilled.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

+1 to what 'sub' said. White (usually billowy) smoke is a sign of transmission fluid being burned. Especially in the olden days it was a transmission modulator valve leaking (at the diaphram). Not sure either whether your trans has one (but it appears that the trans fluid is being aspirated into the engine via some route).

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I seem to recall someone having this problem before and the modulator valve was the problem, so I am inclined to say that it does have one. Look for a valve on the trans with a vacuum line attached.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.