2000 DeVille Northstar Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2000 DeVille Northstar Problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally I had a PO122 code - Throttle/Pedal sensor switch "A" low voltage. That has disappeared and now I have ...
    acaldwell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2000 DeVille Northstar Problem

Originally I had a PO122 code - Throttle/Pedal sensor switch "A" low voltage. That has disappeared and now I have PO101, PO171, PO174 codes, a slightly irregular idling and last night it suddenly raced (in park) and quit. Two subsequent start attempts were the same but after about three minutes it started normally and had a smooth idle. Tell me what is going on and what do I do about it? does this have anything to do with air filters as I also have a relay clicking loudly under the dash as the A/C starts up. the clicking stops and the A/C runs normally although at one time it spewed tiny bits of foam through the vents but that has quit.

Alan L. Caldwell
    Major USAF Ret.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillacroadside is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 2000 DeVille Northstar Problem

with ese codes you might want to look in the area of the mass air flow, the air intake hoses are tight and proper connection with the maf, be sure the hose on the throttle body is tight and the air filter box is all secure

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Also look for a vacuum leak in the rubber coupler between the TB and the manifold. It's called the plenum on the Northstar. They seem to be a rather common failure. It's generally on the underside where it is not visible. Spray the area with some Brakleen and listen for an RPM increase.

acaldwell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks, it WAS the plenum. It's fixed. No SES light and car runs great. I still have the clicking noise apparently from the A/C vent door solenoid. Someone replied to that fact but the question is how do I change it? Can I get to it without dismantling the whole dash? I'm not even sure exactly where it is. Help!!!

Alan

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by acaldwell View Post
    Thanks, it WAS the plenum. It's fixed. No SES light and car runs great. I still have the clicking noise apparently from the A/C vent door solenoid.....
    All of your HVAC doors are motor operated.

Display your DTCs again and pay attention to "B" codes.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Try cycling the HVAC system through all modes of air delivery and fan speeds as well as running the temp settings up and down a few times.

There's always the chance that the problem is just a sticky door.......worth a try. Been done in here before.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I think the actuators are accessible from under the dash, but not positive. If you are going to R&R it yourself, I'd suggest you get your hands on a FSM by Helm Inc, not Chiltons or Haynes. Ebay is your friend.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

Exclamation Re: 2000 DeVille Northstar Problem

The codes are all there...

Classic plenum leak.

I tought mine was a bad tank of gas.

High failure rate part. Plan on replacing. $20 part.

Logan Diagnostic LLC
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

SuperC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville

Where do I find said, plenum hose? I too have the rough idle issue. However to ad confusion every now and again I get a blinking service engine soon if I gun it on the highway, goes away in a few seconds. Ideas?

-C

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

SuperC, What year is your car? The connector plenum (rubber bellows) between the intake manifold and throttlebody was not used until 2000 and later. If you have one, and it's cracked, a brief squirt of choke cleaner or throttlebody cleaner down underneath it will change the idle speed/sound of the engine for a second or two.

Not a hard fix.....call Luke, Parts, at Lindsay Cadillac over there >>>>

Might as well get the injector O-ring kit and intake manifold gaskets, too. It all has to come off. Not a hard job with simple hand tools.

The manifold only gets torqued to 8-9 ft/lb. Not too tight...it's fiberglass/plastic.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.