How to install Nitrous the correct way! I need input
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How to install Nitrous the correct way! I need input in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; We (Highline Cady and I) have been talking about a Nitrous kit for that DHS. How do you go about ...
    AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

How to install Nitrous the correct way! I need input

We (Highline Cady and I) have been talking about a Nitrous kit for that DHS.

How do you go about doing that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: How to install Nitrous the correct way! I need input

This is the kit I think will look the best and fit the best.

ATTENTION ALL 97-06 CORVETTE AND NEW GTO OWNERS! Check out the new trick NX MAF nitrous system for any single piece GM MAF vehicle. This includes 03' Camaro and Firebird and all 97' and up GM Pickups. The NX integrated solenoid nitrous system for the GM Single piece MAF is the state of the art in safe horsepower production. Compact, easy to install, machined from billet 6061 aluminum, integral lifetime warranty solenoids, complete plug and play wiring harness, TPAS module, and all necessary hardware for a complete installation. Fits all GM one piece MAF applications. 35-200 Horsepower

Installation Instructions

*Factory Mass Air Meter not included

Protection

Zt-2 Wideband Controller and Datalogging System
    Cut your tuning time in half!
    Includes the Zt-2 Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Meter, Wideband Oxygen Sensor, Sensor Harness, Signal Harness, PC Serial Cable, Datalogging Software, Installation Instructions and 2 pin EGT connector to retrofit your EGT probe. Made in the USA.

Exhaust Gas Temperature Probe
    Low mass, fast responsive EGT Probe.

You can use some other slow EGT probe but will it tell you the EGTs are raising before you melt the engine parts?
    Includes 8' EGT probe extension harness to the Zt-2. 1/8 NPT thread.
    Please note special K grade thermocouple extension wire is used. Made in the USA.

ZAVT-1
    Zeitronix Audio-Visual Warning and Trigger Box.

Loud 95dB audio buzzer with a bright red LED and a relay trigger signals the alarm.

APPLICATIONS
    • AFR too rich The alarm activates when too rich mixture is detected.
    • AFR too lean The alarm activates when too lean mixture is detected.
    • A combination of AFR too rich and AFR too lean alarms can be used to tune for a specific AFR window.
    • EGT too high The alarm activates when EGT exceeds a safe user selected level.
    • RPM too high Shift-light functionality with a bonus of audio alarm and a relay trigger.
    • TPS too high The alarm activates when TPS exceeds a selected level.
    • USER1 Input too high The alarm activated if a sensor connected to the USER1 input exceeds a selected level.
    • USER1 Input too low The alarm activated if a sensor connected to the USER1 input is lower than a selected level.
    • Relay trigger Open or close a relay circuit to activate or deactivate additional devices at a set warning level. Typically used to add a control to your boost setting, nitrous or alcohol injection and other devices capable of engine destruction.

stbtt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If you plan on going up any higher than 125 shot I would put a high volume fuel pump in. I have a dual 75 shots on mine, had good fuel till 5500-6000 then it would lean out. I quit using it till I take care of the fuel prob. I like the gas I have had it on almost all my vehicles even the forced inducted ones. I have the same setup that's on the cadi. that I had on my stock suburban. I had a dual setup on it that was running about 175 HP shot on both systems. It sure was fun seeing the faces on people in T/A, Vetts. that just got beat by a suburban.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If you want to do it right, you need a direct port setup. A dry system would be a second choice, but northstar injectors lock up when fuel pressure gets much more than 10psi above normal, so you would need aftermarket injectors if you went that route. A wet system should not be considered due to port reversion effects. You can get gas puddling in the intake, uneven fuel distribution, torched pistons.......... bad stuff.

Oh, get plugs 2 ranges colder than stock.

Highline Cady is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Nitrous03DHS,AJtune,Corsa,Volant,3.71s,Grille,tinted,stall'd

Thanx for the input guys. It has become my goal to duck into the 13's sec 1/4 mile, and with AJ's help I think we'll get it done. I appreciate the lessons learned by those who have done this before and any information is greatly appreciated, don't want to melt pistons, we just put new ones in.

With all the research that we have been doing, I have a question about the plugs for anyone who may be able to answer. Some that I have discussed this setup with recommend using colder range plugs, but others have said not to. Anyone that can clear this up?

Thanks again
    H

A stock northstar runs very hot plugs. This is to make sure your engine starts in Alaska, and burn off deposits after short drives. However, when you start adding power to the engine, the dynamics change and the spark plug runs hotter than they were designed to. If it is bad enough, the spark plug can start glowing and act like....... a glow plug. This means it can ignite the fuel mixture before the spark (preignition). This is NOT like detonation AT ALL. Detonation your PCM will pick up and retard timing (you might even hear it). Preignition you will NOT notice until all of a sudden your power drops and your car is blowing blue smoke. The blue smoke is from burning engine oil after you have holes in your pistons. Holy pistons are bad. Colder plugs are cheap engine insurance.

Thanks, I understand. I was just curious why some would say you don't need to change out the plugs. You know if there was another theory out there that I never heard about. But thanks for the info Eldo 1, appreciated.

stbtt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Don't forget to lower the gap on your plugs to around .032 - .035 you don't want to blow out the spark

Quote Originally Posted by Highline Cady View Post
    Thanks, I understand. I was just curious why some would say you don't need to change out the plugs. You know if there was another theory out there that I never heard about. But thanks for the info Eldo 1, appreciated.

Because he, his friend, his mother, or someone else did it with stock plugs and theirs didn't blow up, so therefore no one needs colder plugs.

BTW, I'm running colder plugs with an otherwise stock engine.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

What eldorado1 is saying is that a specific heat range in a spark plug is calculated for the majority of anticipated use of a given engine installation (?). When you begin fooling with engine power output it is very likely that the same plug heat range may not work as designed. If you spent a significant percentage of your time at highway speeds you could go to a colder heat range plug because the constant high rpm operation would allow the plug tip and insulator to heat up enough to keep the plug clean (the reason for heat range in the first place). A cold plug resists overheating at high rpm or high power fuel rates. A hot plug is good for low rpm and in-town operation because the thinner nose and insulator shell heats up rapidly and does not transfer as much heat from the plug to the cylinder head.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    What eldorado1 is saying is that a specific heat range in a spark plug is calculated for the majority of anticipated use of a given engine installation (?). When you begin fooling with engine power output it is very likely that the same plug heat range may not work as designed. If you spent a significant percentage of your time at highway speeds you could go to a colder heat range plug because the constant high rpm operation would allow the plug tip and insulator to heat up enough to keep the plug clean (the reason for heat range in the first place). A cold plug resists overheating at high rpm or high power fuel rates. A hot plug is good for low rpm and in-town operation because the thinner nose and insulator shell heats up rapidly and does not transfer as much heat from the plug to the cylinder head.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1 View Post
    Because he, his friend, his mother, or someone else did it with stock plugs and theirs didn't blow up, so therefore no one needs colder plugs.

BTW, I'm running colder plugs with an otherwise stock engine.
    SANT CLAUSE SAYS NO NEED TO CHANGE THE PLUGS!

If I am running 41-987 what is the next cooler plug? I am just asking

Remember we have protection so the plugs will be fine

Thanks again guys, the couple that chimed in since last, we researched (the actual plugs not anything to do w/ Nitrous) today and it seems that things have changed since the last time I messed around with plugs, anyway I've learned that the research part of it is an ever changing and on going process. I appreciate all the info/opinions none-the-less. You can never have to much information.

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    SANT CLAUSE SAYS NO NEED TO CHANGE THE PLUGS!

If I am running 41-987 what is the next cooler plug? I am just asking

Remember we have protection so the plugs will be fine

What protection would that be? Please explain.

I only know NGK plugs. NGK's are OEM for some model northstars, I forget which. But stock is a 5 heat range, i.e. the TR55-IX (iridium model). 1 step colder is a TR6-IX, 2 steps colder is a TR7-IX (what I'm running). I think if you drop the IX it gives you the regular plugs. Iridiums will allow you to run without blowout because their tips are much finer than conventional plugs. It makes it easier for the spark to jump the gap. I'm sure they make platinums as well if you wanted to stay "stock" and save a bit of money. (The iridiums are about $8 a piece)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.