How to install Nitrous the correct way! I need input - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How to install Nitrous the correct way! I need input in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; WE Need New Plugs Bert!...
    AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: How to install Nitrous the correct way! I need input

WE Need New Plugs Bert!

Highline Cady is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Nitrous03DHS,AJtune,Corsa,Volant,3.71s,Grille,tinted,stall'd

So between AJ's schedule my schedule all the damn rain and the usual little problems that go along when trying to make a non V series N* fast we have not gotten down to the track yet. We will, but we are dealing with a few items that keep tripping the controller and shutting off the nitrous. So we have had some problems with gas eating up the fuel solenoid, NX was great sent out a re-designed replacement right away. That was an obvious problem, now fixed.

We still go lean sometimes, not always, just sometimes, and the controller does it's job shutting off the juice, and saving the motor. We are going to put in new plugs that are one range colder gapped smaller and pull the (I don't remember the jet #'s so you'll have to deal with this) 125hp nitrous jet in favor of a 100 nitrous jet but leave the 150hp fuel jet in it. If that solves the lean condition permanently, we then will probably upgrade the fuel pump, figure out a way to ramp up the fuel pressure from 49 to 55psi without locking up the injectors, throw in a 150hp nitrous jet and a 200hp fuel jet and see how the PCM likes those changes.

The goal is to get it running worry free first and then bumping the jets to the 150-200hp, but I plan on getting to the track Wednesday (barring another T-storm) but will probably only be pushing a 100 shot of juice and roughly the 150hp fuel jet. Right now we are running the 125hp nitrous jet and a 150hp fuel jet and ever since the bottle heater it sometimes goes lean, sometimes it runs like a raped ape, I mean really really flies!!!

Just have to get her more consistent before I can go out looking for a race. I can't have the controller shutting off the nitrous when I'm trying to run a mustang. LOL

This must be stock.

RPM----Spark---Air Fuel Ratio (:1)
    666 ----- 10 ----- 14.7
    1924 ---- 19 ----- 12.8
    3276 ---- 18 ----- 12.8
    3357 ---- 18 ----- 12.8
    4120 ---- 18 ----- 12.8
    5246 ---- 21 ----- 12.8
    6358 ---- -4 ----- 12.7
    4615 ----- 6 ----- 12.8
    4948 ----- 8 ----- 12.8
    5304 ---- 13 ----- 12.8
    5680 ---- 17 ----- 12.8
    6038 ---- 18 ----- 12.8
    6316 ---- 19 ----- 10.5
    5455 ----- 7 ----- 10.5
    4683 ----- 8 ----- 10.5
    4800 ----- 9 ----- 10.5
    4923 ---- 11 ----- 10.5
    5053 ---- 11 ----- 10.5
    5161 ---- 11 ----- 10.5
    5275 ---- 11 ----- 10.5
    5079 ---- 25 ----- 14.7
    3299 ---- 22 ----- 14.7
    3057 ---- 21 ----- 14.7
    2936 ---- 21 ----- 14.7

Rain rain and more rain. Living in the Midwest this summer really blows. Yet another time the track was closed do to rain. We'll get it there yet, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    WE Need New Plugs Bert!
    I installed a shorter gap plug (.040) and one range cooler. That seemed to help with the lean condition. I installed a non platinum plug just to test them. I will need to install some platinum plugs for a LS1. That comes out as the same heat range as stock and the .040 gap.

This is the new plugs one range colder and gapped to .040
    This is 79 frames/ticks to complete the run. the IAT reading was 80 deg
    This had NO N2O

This is spraying N2O
    This was 10 minutes after the first run
    This was 40 frames. Yes 1/2 of the top
    This had less Knock Retard

Hey guy's This is how fast this car is!
    Both of these are framed out at 80 frames. They are ran up to 102 and 103, so about the same mph.

Maybe I need to work on the Data Collection rate and recording length, but it fly's. I am using some new software and I need to figure it out

NO N2O (the total recording length is 140 frames)

N2O RUN (the total recording length is 81 frames)

Can we start a pool on what the fasted the car will run at the track?

I am in @ 12.98

Yeah a 4300+ car down the track in 12.9

This thing is FAST

I have a Stock 99 PCM in my Fiero and we left a light together. I saw his rear bumper.
    Yeah I was starting in second

Now I can trick the Stock PCM and run a 12.58 in the Fiero. If I don't trick it, but still enable 1st gear starts I run a 13.3 to 13.6.

We were out on the test road and lined up. I gave Highline a jump by about a car. He almost drove away from me. I caught him and then me fuel cut kicked in at 90 mph for some odd reason. He blew by me.

SO!
    anyone

We actually ran the place we get N2O out of N2O.
    I bet we ran over 25 10lbs bottles through it already

We have used allot. Getting to the track tommorrow if it doesn't rain again, it's not supposed to.

My guess: low to mid 13's? Find out tommorrow, barring weather, again

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

You'll probably trap around 102, but times will be 13.6 or so. I think you'll be traction limited. Depends on the track.

Consider switching to NGK Iridium plugs. I am running TR7-IX's which is a couple ranges colder than stock (pre 99 engine). I know I give AJ a lot of crap, but I don't want to see your car blow up because he's never worked with nitrous before. Much colder plugs are needed to prevent preignition. None of your gauges will detect preignition. Well, except for the EGT. You'll see it drop for a bit, but by then it will be too late because you'll be blowing oil smoke out your exhaust. The iridium plugs also have a finer tip which makes jumping the gap easier. Really useful for a stock ignition system.

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    Now I can trick the Stock PCM and run a 12.58 in the Fiero.
    Drugs are bad, mmmkay.

We wanted to try a shorter gaped plug. I thought that as long as we are testing plugs let try one range cooler.

Lyndon has stated that the Stock plugs are fine. He has a dyno and has played with N2O a lot.

The EGT's only go up about 50°c on a full run over stock.

I say 12.89 to 12.99

You can look at this over on the LS1TECH forum also.
    I get some help from the Aussie LS1 guys also. BIG HELP on the? Yeah you know

Nitrous Express LS1 MAF kit installed on

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1 View Post
    You'll probably trap around 102, but times will be 13.6 or so. I think you'll be traction limited. Depends on the track.

Consider switching to NGK Iridium plugs. I am running TR7-IX's which is a couple ranges colder than stock (pre 99 engine). I know I give AJ a lot of crap, but I don't want to see your car blow up because he's never worked with nitrous before. Much colder plugs are needed to prevent preignition. None of your gauges will detect preignition. Well, except for the EGT. You'll see it drop for a bit, but by then it will be too late because you'll be blowing oil smoke out your exhaust. The iridium plugs also have a finer tip which makes jumping the gap easier. Really useful for a stock ignition system.

Drugs are bad, mmmkay.
    Yeah we had traction problem. I Think the first run he hit 105 and I think a 14.9, but spun out of the hole.

So I let Highline play on a few more runs and then installed the 200hp jets. he had a 14.8. hmmmmmmmm WTF
    I checked the bottle temp and PSI. I sent him out again and he hit 14.2. we ran out of gas That makes sense on the 13.8 on 200 hp jets vs 13.9 on 125 jets. He did not have any safety cut out problems

No No No, 1st run was 13.959 @ 102.52, we did have traction problems Eldo. What was weird was that it was bad out of the hole (off the nitrous) also. I was flipping the switch in first after 4,000 rpm's and spinning the tires again, shifting at 6700 and spinning the tires again, which kinda surprised me (at the track), but then again, it didn't.

On the second run I tried to "feather" it out of the hole, to avoid tire spin, and did, until engagement, again. So not as much tire spin but it still hurt, and ran a 14.087 @ 101.99mph.

3rd run was the best but still traction limited, this time we lowered the front tires to 18psi and did a big smoky burn out. Still spun/wheel hopped of the line and spun again after the initial engagement of nitrous, and again on the shift, but ran a 13.883 @ 105.46. Then we were basically out of juice because of the purging/jet change and runs, but we didn't know it until after the jet change and on the next run figured it out 1/2 way down the track, that timeslip, a 14.2 @ 99.1 confirmed it.

(On a total side note: Have any of you ever been to a track where they didn't sell nitrous? Or is that common? It was annoying.)

Well reached 2 out of the 3 goals. 1) To break into the 13's. 2) Break 100mph. 3) Bust a 13.5 or better. 2 for 3 ain't bad, it's baseball season.

Here's #'s of her best run w/o nitrous, which was actually at the Midwest Cadillac Meet earlier this year, and then today's best run with the gas.

60' 2.259--------- 2.270
    330 6.252--------- 6.164
    1/8 9.509--------- 9.171
    MPH 75.9---------- 82.9
    1000 12.296-------- 11.737
    1/4 14.659-------- 13.883
    MPH 95.23--------- 105.46

She's got more in her, on a nicer day, on a nicer track, with less gas and more nitrous!

I'll keep you guys posted, next time I'm bringing both bottles, and maybe some slicks!

Oh, and she ran great, both on the juice and on the way there and home. We've run it allot just could never get to the track, I'm going back Friday, but it's supposed to rain, surprise.

We left for the track with 7/8+ of a tank of gas
    WTF we all make mistakes.

Highline filled the tank of the DHS a couple of weeks or so ago, but the way things came up he was driving other car.
    His sisters C5 came in for service. We had T-storms with possible hail warnings for a couple of day prior to that, so he had his truck. I had his truck and he needed a truck, so he had his moms T-blazer SS. He heard some snapping noise in it, so he had been driving it for about a week. Highline came back to Crest after a few years not working. The rumor is he was semi retired. Anyway I wasn't working and they had other techs on vacation, so he never got his moms SS looked at after a week.
    Highline takes care of any problem that his families car have. Oil changes, squeaks and rattle, Tires and brake, Performance exhaust systems, I think he even fills the gas on his moms cars. He is a #1 type of son.

Hey his is just a little goofy. He wants to go fast and NO RATTLES
    He gets that from his mom She drive a C6 and a T-blazer SS

Oh yeah HighLine is in Sales at the dealer, so if you want that new or used Cadillac let him know. They sell to people all over the Midwest and Canada

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.