How to install Nitrous the correct way! I need input - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How to install Nitrous the correct way! I need input in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; We'll be monitoring EGT's and air/fuel ratios (wideband O2) and load/vacuum via the Map sensor, through a controller that we ...
    Highline Cady is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Nitrous03DHS,AJtune,Corsa,Volant,3.71s,Grille,tinted,stall'd

Re: How to install Nitrous the correct way! I need input

We'll be monitoring EGT's and air/fuel ratios (wideband O2) and load/vacuum via the Map sensor, through a controller that we can look at through a laptop. We can wire in safety relays so that it shuts off fuel and nos instantaneously if something goes out of our predetermined specifications (A/F out of whack, EGT's to high ect).

Really don't know about the plugs though. Half the people say it's a must while the other half say it is not necessary on a "wet" system that we are using for our application. Either side holds their beliefs strongly. I do like the idea of the extra "insurance" however.

Anyway, once again, I appreciate all the input, none of it can hurt.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Wet system and stock plugs. Okay. Good luck. Monitor your EGT's carefully.

Actually Eldog, I won't be monitoring anything, we'll just set it up so that if certain limits are exceeded the go go juice won't work or will shut off immediately (spray and fuel). Take the responsibility completely out of my hands, probably a good thing.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    Protection

ZAVT-1
    Zeitronix Audio-Visual Warning and Trigger Box.

Loud 95dB audio buzzer with a bright red LED and a relay trigger signals the alarm.

APPLICATIONS
    • AFR too rich The alarm activates when too rich mixture is detected.
    • AFR too lean The alarm activates when too lean mixture is detected.
    • A combination of AFR too rich and AFR too lean alarms can be used to tune for a specific AFR window.
    • EGT too high The alarm activates when EGT exceeds a safe user selected level.
    • RPM too high Shift-light functionality with a bonus of audio alarm and a relay trigger.
    • TPS too high The alarm activates when TPS exceeds a selected level.
    • USER1 Input too high The alarm activated if a sensor connected to the USER1 input exceeds a selected level.
    • USER1 Input too low The alarm activated if a sensor connected to the USER1 input is lower than a selected level.
    • Relay trigger Open or close a relay circuit to activate or deactivate additional devices at a set warning level. Typically used to add a control to your boost setting, nitrous or alcohol injection and other devices capable of engine destruction.
    That would be it

The start

The billet plate

The end cut off

Ground off all of the tabs and bumps

Assembled

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1 View Post
    A wet system should not be considered due to port reversion effects. You can get gas puddling in the intake, uneven fuel distribution, torched pistons.......... bad stuff.

I was thinking about this from the start even before you mentioned this. This system is made for an LS1 and it has the same type of intake. I have my fingers crossed. We will see.

I had a conversation with Codewize about WOT and sucking up the oil in the bottom of the intake. Just think of oil the in the bottom of the intake and when you suck it up on WOT you could get a blue/black smoke cloud. Yeah that means that you might not be cleaning carbon, just the oil out of the intake.

Hydro-lock anyone? Now I plan on spraying fuel into it

NHRATA01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am

I was thinking about this from the start even before you mentioned this. This system is made for an LS1 and it has the same type of intake. I have my fingers crossed. We will see.

I had a conversation with Codewize about WOT and sucking up the oil in the bottom of the intake. Just think of oil the in the bottom of the intake and when you suck it up on WOT you could get a blue/black smoke cloud. Yeah that means that you might not be cleaning carbon, just the oil out of the intake.

Hydro-lock anyone? Now I plan on spraying fuel into it
    I disagree, I would use a wet kit over a dry kit on the N*, this way you know your jetting will always be correct.

I run a similar plate type kit as what you have there, except the plate is between the TB and the intake manifold, not on the MAF. Those MAF systems work well, my only concern would be I can't recall off the top of my head where the MAF is in relation to the TB on an N* (sorry I'm still relatively new to the motor). You'd want it to be a fairly straight shot into the intake, not going around a bend. The closer to the intake the better, so the fuel won't fall out of the mixture. I really don't see any chance of puddling with a ~100 shot as long as you're spraying at at least 3000 rpms. Seen people put 200hp hits through an LS1 intake without puddling, and thats quite a bit more fuel.

So I'd also make sure you have a window and WOT switch. There's a few nice controllers that work pretty well and do both. You can tap into the TPS signal so you don't have to fiddle around with a mechanical switch. I used this controller in my setup: http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...product_id=964
    Also has the option of gear lockout if you don't want to spray in first due to traction challenges. A fuel pressure safety switch is also a good idea and cheap insurance.

New pics

MAF installed

Air Box

Mess of wires

Switches

The all important Tank 1 of 2 (they are both full)

New pics

Air Box

The Green wire is for another relay that will only allow the N2O in 2nd and 3rd gears

So far I have about 20+ hours into it. Lot of work and planning. I think I had about 4 or 5 hours into just talking to Bert about it. Well talking Bert into dropping all this cash I should say.

You can talk someone into dropping their pants and bending over. If they aren't happy in the end it is no good.
    Bert is already happy and he hasn't pushed the bottom yet. He is 100% confident in all the protection I have installed. I think the total dollar amount of the protection is getting close to the total of the N2O kit

The N2O will only be applied at WOT, in 2nd and 3rd gears, with AFR no leaner that 12.8 to 1, and the EGT not over 850° C.
    I may run that EGT a little cooler

BTW Bert the Purge Valve works great

SWEEEEET!!! I know that's your favorite part.

Looks good. To bad it's going to rain all weekend. Oh well, what was I expecting. Got to love it up here.

NHRATA01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am

Well, I really wouldn't bother with a relay for gear lockout, believe me buying a programmable controller is much easier from a wiring standpoint. Also wouldn't have spent the money for 2 bottles. With that sized shot one is fine for about 8 pases. However you really need a bottle warmer for running a wet kit. Consistent bottle pressure is key to maintaining the proper air/fuel ratio on a wet shot. If the pressure drops you are going to be way rich with the jetting. You'll also get more out of the bottle as it runs down.

Oh and by the way AJ, a million thanx again for undertaking yet another project in the goal of creating the fastest N* powered, FWD Deville on the planet. Like how I said that, Marks can have the fastest Seville (STS), I just want the fastest Deville. Maybe we'll meet at a show someday and can have some fun with some Fords. Can't wait to start dialing her in, I'm getting anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    Well, I really wouldn't bother with a relay for gear lockout, believe me buying a programmable controller is much easier from a wiring standpoint. Also wouldn't have spent the money for 2 bottles. With that sized shot one is fine for about 8 pases. However you really need a bottle warmer for running a wet kit. Consistent bottle pressure is key to maintaining the proper air/fuel ratio on a wet shot. If the pressure drops you are going to be way rich with the jetting. You'll also get more out of the bottle as it runs down.
    Had an extra bottle laying around.

Thanks for the info though, maybe I'll look into a bottle warmer soon, it's just starting to nickel and dime me to death and it's not even out of the shop yet, nor have I settled up with AJ yet so I've already blown a bunch of $ and a bunch more to come I'm sure.

But I appreciate all the input and ideas that are expressed by those in the know, and look forward to posting some pretty impressive timeslips(for the car) soon, keep the info coming it is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.