96 Cad DeVille Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 96 Cad DeVille Questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 96 Cad deVille that quit on me while running 70 mph down an Interstate. Got it restarted ...
    Seeker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

96 Cad DeVille Questions

I have a 96 Cad deVille that quit on me while running 70 mph down an Interstate. Got it restarted and stalled again. My mechanic installed a new ECM and it did the same thing and its back in the shop. I've read several threads on the CPM and the CKP. My question - since its in the shop should I replace ALL of these at once just to be on the save side.

Another question: How good is the overall reliability of the 96 Cad deVille? I have already pulled the motor from my deck lid as it no longer worked. I'd just as soon close that myself any way.

A thought to ponder on as well: What happens to all this gadgetry when we get hit with a huge EMP? There are so few horses and bicycles around these days!!

Thanks! Jesse

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: 96 Cad DeVille Questions

'96 CKP sensors were pretty reliable, but they are a possibility.

Trunk pull down motor is an easy fix. Switch or brushes most likely.

Well, both of my CKP sensors were replaced and the engine actually runs a bit smoother, however, this still cut out on me when I was doing about 50 mph going to work (22 mi drive) but I drove home with no problem.

I'm still worried that this engine dying is still a problem. Any suggestions other than possibly replacing the CPM sensor?

Could this be some other electronics problem NOT associated with these three sensors?

Seeker

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

No codes? Might check the battery cables for corrosion and tightness.

misfit6794 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT

Have you ever changed the fuel filter? Could be clogged, or it could be a failing pump.

I wouldn't say they aren't reliable, its just when they break, it starts to get expensive. Also do a search on the forum for "headgasket"

I had this checked out again and drove it to work and it died just as I was pulling up to a light. Luckily I was able to push it off to the side with no problem, but just could not get it re-started. Another tow job!!

This time I got the following codes from the mechanic: PC 0717H, PC1599H, and IP1910H. The first to have to do with a "low idle" from what I can determine from the listings, however, I never did find the IP1910H code in the listing.

No, I haven't changed the fuel filter yet, and the batter linkages is O.K. as I only recently installed a new battery, with very clean terminals and cables.

Any ideas as to why this engine is still just quitting on me?

Someone told me that the dealer analysis equipment picks up more than a handheld piece of equipment. Is that true? My mechanics device seemed to be a pretty good piece of equipment.

Thanks!

JESSE
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Well, both of my CKP sensors were replaced and the engine actually runs a bit smoother, however, this still cut out on me when I was doing about 50 mph going to work (22 mi drive) but I drove home with no problem.

I'm still worried that this engine dying is still a problem. Any suggestions other than possibly replacing the CPM sensor?

Could this be some other electronics problem NOT associated with these three sensors?

Seeker

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.