2000 SLS uses 1qt oil every 500mi - Should I be worried???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2000 SLS uses 1qt oil every 500mi - Should I be worried??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi Everyone, we bought a 2000 SLS last October with about 83,000 miles on it and for the past several ...
    fleetwood96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 DTS III;05 DTS;02&03 STS;96 F/W Brm;85 F/W Brm

2000 SLS uses 1qt oil every 500mi - Should I be worried???

Hi Everyone, we bought a 2000 SLS last October with about 83,000 miles on it and for the past several months, it has been saying "Check oil level" on the DIC every 500 miles or so. The car doesn't drip any oil and there's no unusual smoke out the tailpipe, but I think it still must be burning oil. Other than than the expense and aggrivation of adding oil every few weeks, so I need to be worried about my engine blowing up or needing to have a major overhaul in the near future? I've been reading that a qt every 1000 is not unusual for Northstar engines, but this really does seem excessive to me. Any opinions out there? Also, if it does end up going south, does anyone know if it is an easy swap to take a 2000 (or newer?) base Deville or DHS engine (the 275hp version) and put it in the SLS, or do I need another SLS engine to make the swap easily. Also, I wasn't sure if a newer than 2000 engine would work properly or if there are enough subtle changes (transmission, computer, chassis, etc) to avoid putting something newer than what the car was designed for. Thanks-- Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: 2000 SLS uses 1qt oil every 500mi - Should I be worried???

The first thing you need to do is give it some wide open throttle blasts as outlined in the "Technical Archive".
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Yep, that's excessive. Your catalytic converter is processing the burnt oil (but this won't last forever and eventually will foul it). It does sound like you may have the dreaded 'carboned up' piston rings and it might be corrected or helped by following "dk's" suggestion for the throttle blasts. GM also makes a good decarbonizer that should help with carbon deposits/problems.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The engine is not going south. Take it out and drive it like you stole it, as advised.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Yeah, using a quart of oil every 500 miles is a good thing. Wonder when the Japanese manufacturers will catch on to this clever engineering. See, by using a quart of oil so frequently you get to ADD another NEW quart therefore you are constantly replenishing the motor with fresh oil. Neat huh?

fleetwood96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 DTS III;05 DTS;02&03 STS;96 F/W Brm;85 F/W Brm

I have read about the Wide-Open-Throttle starts every once in a while helping to keep the engine clean. The car now has 88k on it so I was concerned about running it hard with that many miles. I'll also check into the de-carbonizer. Is that stuff the kind you run through the gas tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Yeah, using a quart of oil every 500 miles is a good thing. Wonder when the Japanese manufacturers will catch on to this clever engineering. See, by using a quart of oil so frequently you get to ADD another NEW quart therefore you are constantly replenishing the motor with fresh oil. Neat huh?
    Back under the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by fleetwood96 View Post
    I have read about the Wide-Open-Throttle starts every once in a while helping to keep the engine clean. The car now has 88k on it so I was concerned about running it hard with that many miles. I'll also check into the de-carbonizer. Is that stuff the kind you run through the gas tank?
    85K is no milage at all. WOT is the answer for your problem.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by fleetwood96 View Post
    I have read about the Wide-Open-Throttle starts every once in a while helping to keep the engine clean. The car now has 88k on it so I was concerned about running it hard with that many miles....
    Your engine is just comfortably broken-in at that mileage. My engine is treated to agressive WOT therapy at least once per month!

If I see a serious cloud in the mirror, I repeat the therapy until the cloud does not appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The engine is not going south. Take it out and drive it like you stole it, as advised.
    You are encouraging him to beat on his car, and this will solve problems by doing what?. How will blowing out carbon make his car not burn oil?. This isn't sarcasm, I really want to know!. I understand the benefits of WOT once in awhile but not how it can fix burning oil. If its the rings WOT would only make things worse. Seriously guys, the answer to every problem in this forum is always "check the purge line" or "WOT". Sometimes things aren't so simple.

You are encouraging him to beat on his car, and this will solve problems by doing what?. How will blowing out carbon make his car not burn oil?. This isn't sarcasm, I really want to know!. I understand the benefits of WOT once in awhile but not how it can fix burning oil. If its the rings WOT would only make things worse. Seriously guys, the answer to every problem in this forum is always "check the purge line" or "WOT". Sometimes things aren't so simple.
    Destroyer, it's a real shame that your propensity to mouth off on every subject under the sun prevents you from doing your own research in the most obvious places. I direct your attention to the section at the top of the page labeled "Cadillac Technical Archive" and the appropriate section, http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#noil

I suggest that you read this entire department through as it will answer a lot of your questions.

Destroyer, I apologize for getting on your case but you and LennyLincoln are a disruptive influence on the guys that have a genuine concern about getting the most out of their cars and the guys that are trying to help and educate them. You throw out opinions but you haven't done your research or established your credentials. As a distraction you're all negatives. Read the technical information available on the site, listen to the guys with years of Cadilac experience and your ignorance and inexperience may be remediated.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I would strongly advise the OP to leave this twisted thread, do as dkoz advised in #11, and spend the evening calling back CF threads of interest. There are many good and valid reasons for the advice given your oil consumption question. You are, in no way, the first Northstar owner to ask about excessive oil usage. GM and CF members have literally written books on the subject, and you have been steered in generally the right direction by those who own Cadillacs of various vintage.

After having spent the better part of an afternoon going back in history to read a cross section of the Destroyer's posts, it's obvious that he haunts CF in order to live up to his oft-used smiley: "stir the pot".

Perhaps the best tack would be to totally ignore, pro or con, his generated distortion and get on with CF's primary goal: constructive criticism and transfer of information on Cadillac ownership.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You've been around here long enough to know the answer. Your problem is that you don't come here to learn anything or to help anyone out. Your sole purpose for being here seems be to bash Cadillacs and start arguments. I have no interest in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You've been around here long enough to know the answer. Your problem is that you don't come here to learn anything or to help anyone out. Your sole purpose for being here seems be to bash Cadillacs and start arguments. I have no interest in that.
    All I'm asking is how WOT fixes oil burning. Blowing out carbon? Yes, but how does it fix burning of oil?. The thread is about his motor using a quart of oil every 500 miles, why would WOT fix that?.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.