Northstar Rant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Rant in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This is to all the Northstar haters First Gen engines had some problem. Second Gens had less The third Gen ...
    AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Northstar Rant

This is to all the Northstar haters

First Gen engines had some problem.
    Second Gens had less
    The third Gen less say the RWD version had less
    The fourth Gen 06+ FWD had even less

At the dealership I work at we reseal case halve I would say about 5 to 1 over head gaskets!
    Yeah the head Gaskets are not the most common expensive fix.
    See the thing is people will just add oil and not even think about it. I pull some cars in and they leave a huge puddle. Maybe 1 or 2 a year are that way. Adding coolant does not have the same efect

I have only seen a few bottom end failures. I was just talking about this at work last week. The other tech were acting like I was loony.
    Yeah I have seen a few people bottom out the oil pan on something and keep driving! That is the only bottom end failures we see

If you buy a 2008 Northstar you are getting an engine that has many updates from the 1993 version. If you buy a 2008 SBC in an Imp SS it is not the same as the 1993 SBC. If it was then a 2008 Imp SS would be junk!

Take a look at a 1993 STS (top of the line) and compare it to a 2008 CTS (base model)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: Northstar Rant

They had a problem with cam and lifter they fixed in in 2000

The had some head gaskets concerns. They tried a fix in 2000 and then they stepped it up again in 2004.

They had a Crank sensor problem They fixed that in 2006

GM has been on top of this engine.
    Back in 1993 to 1999 the length of time that it took to go from concept to production was a lot longer than it was in 2006 or today. Just look at that 2008 CTS.

Like I have said before it is part of the on going evolution.

IMSAnorthstar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

So it sounds like most all of the problems have been worked out with the Northstar now ? ..... Too Bad, because that invariably signals the end of a product line then the engine that replaces it goes through the same process all over again. makes NO sence to me.

In

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    GM has been on top of this engine.
    They had to be, they shit it out didn't they?

lenny lincoln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Watch it ! watch what you say about the death star, you may be banned or limited on posting here. Some of the family secrets should not be talked about. The cadillac North star is the best car motor to own

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    They had to be, they shit it out didn't they?
    I see your one of those "I'd love to have one but I'm afraid to purchase one" type of guys. There's nothing wrong with that but do you believe the problem was solved in the 2000+ design?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You're quite mistaken, Destroyer and lenny.

There aren't any family secrets, much the opposite. 99% of the questions and posts arriving in CF are taken at face value and answered to the best of a lot of abilities. Sometimes answered completely, sometimes more on the advice and recommendation side of the coin. The Northstar, as in every other automobile engine ever designed, has its share of bugaboos and idiosyncrasies. That's why we're all here. To find out how, why, when and to trade fixes. Amateurs and professionals, all on the same field. That's the beauty of CF.

It's the other 1%, the flaming idiots, agitators, and "I love ME" squatters that throw up smoke and mirrors and harm other's learning and troubleshooting efforts.

Ask yourself "Where do I fit in here.....?".

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I don't know how many times in my life I've encountered people who were not smart enough to understand the inner workings of a device and therefore had more trouble with it than the next guy. Their solution was not to improve their own knowledge and skills to the required level but to criticize and belittle the article in question. In the end everybody else could recognize them for the losers they were and enjoy a lot of insiders laughs at their expense. Some people come to CF to enhance their Cadillac experience, others to wallow in their sour grapes.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Sub, what percent of post here over the years have been about NS leaking or over heating? enough said, doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure the crazy idiosyncracies of the north stars here. And Dkoz, I know all about the workings of many "inner workings of a device's " both human and mechanical. I am a life long mechanic and a trained human Doctor. And I understand that if you buy a North star you will have to replace the head gaskets or reseal the cases to a tune of $3500 or do it yourself , I have the tools and capabilities. But I dont think Any state of the art motor that is SO great should require that much attention. If I wanted to stand out and expect such high maintance cost I would of bought a exotic car. Hell even heavily tromped on at every light Corvettes last longer than these moving couches and still out resale them.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny lincoln View Post
    Sub, what percent of post here over the years have been about NS leaking or over heating? enough said, doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure the crazy idiosyncracies of the north stars here. And Dkoz, I know all about the workings of many "inner workings of a device's " both human and mechanical. I am a life long mechanic and a trained human Doctor. And I understand that if you buy a North star you will have to replace the head gaskets or reseal the cases to a tune of $3500 or do it yourself , I have the tools and capabilities. But I dont think Any state of the art motor that is SO great should require that much attention. If I wanted to stand out and expect such high maintance cost I would of bought a exotic car. Hell even heavily tromped on at every light Corvettes last longer than these moving couches and still out resale them.
    Please tell us what you hope to accomplish hanging around here. If I'd wanted to own a sheet metal pachyderm I'd have bought a Lincoln. If you're really a doctor, surely you remember your pledge to first do no harm. I'm sorry to tell you that you're giving everybody here a pain in the ass.

At least the Northstar problems are all fixable. The only thing you can do for a Lincoln is two aspirins and lots of rest. It'll always be sick.

What do you call a Lincoln in the car crusher?
    A mercy killing.

To do no harm is to inform the unfortunate. You can pump up all the owners you want owning a 06 with a warranty. You dont have to get your fingers wet. But you can talk a good talk and tell the family that buys a 2000 Ns that it will be a good reliable vehicle for them and they can finance it at 7.5% and not to worry. I can suggest a lincoln purchase and not worry can you? Pachyderm Lincoln, Why mess with a good thing? If you want to be different why not wear your underwear on your head? because you'd appear stupid. I feel that after conversing with the authority here for the last week that most of you wear your underwear on your heads.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny lincoln View Post
    To do no harm is to inform the unfortunate. You can pump up all the owners you want owning a 06 with a warranty. You dont have to get your fingers wet. But you can talk a good talk and tell the family that buys a 2000 Ns that it will be a good reliable vehicle for them and they can finance it at 7.5% and not to worry. I can suggest a lincoln purchase and not worry can you? Pachyderm Lincoln, Why mess with a good thing? If you want to be different why not wear your underwear on your head? because you'd appear stupid. I feel that after conversing with the authority here for the last week that most of you wear your underwear on your heads.
    The problem with that is that if you always buy second, best never in your lifetime will you ever own anything worth a damn. It is better to have loved your Caddy and lost than to never have experienced it at all. With a Lincoln you have five paper bags over your head in case the first four break. You're treated like you have Hanson's disease. You're an object of pity.

Lenny, are you sure you're a doctor? The only doctors I know that own Lincolns are proctologists.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

AJ....watch out.

Be very careful of what, when, why you post.

GM does monitor these sites.

I'm a 27 year GM employee. I have been personally talked to about intenet postings by GM people systems.

I am UAW. So I am protected. U are dealership. Watch out. They could drop u like heartbeat.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by AlBundy View Post
    I see your one of those "I'd love to have one but I'm afraid to purchase one" type of guys. There's nothing wrong with that but do you believe the problem was solved in the 2000+ design?
    No, no, no. I had a '98 Deville and had all sorts of problems in the 10k miles I owned it (88k-98k). I let it go after the HG's went and I'm glad I did. My good friend and business partner had an '01 which also had the HG's go. He actually paid $4200 for the repair and then traded it in and got $6k. He should have just sold it needing the repairs or kept it after that but whatever. Bottom line is he just didn't trust the car after all the grief it gave him since owning it and he didn't want his wife driving it either. Everything from shaking on the highway, to ABS problems and loose trim inside to head gaskets and motor mounts and his had around 70k when he got rid of it. The car disgusted him as my '98 disgusted me. Never knew about pellets or purge lines or timeserts and all that before owning that car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.