clogged radiator?????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, clogged radiator????? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1998 deville n* 109k bought this car for my son 3 mos ago. he used it twice and it heated ...
    1st time cadddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

clogged radiator?????

1998 deville n* 109k
    bought this car for my son 3 mos ago.
    he used it twice and it heated up on him, so he decided he wasn't going to use it, and thought it be best that he use my 07 yukon
    finally had a chance and good weather to look at it today (n.e. pa)

first checked colant level took 1 gal 50/50 dex
    let idle for over 1 hr. temp made it up to 222 then down to 199 (fans came on at 220)
    felt around hoses and rad all seemed to be even heat.
    shut it down and cooled, checked coolant level, took another qt.
    started it again this time noticed small amount of steady white smoke out tail pipe, outside temp was 42, attributed it to condensation.

took for long local drive (15 mi.) got up to 205 and dropped to 185.
    decided to try it on the highway.
    got on it a bit and temp come right up to 255.
    started down long hill (5mi, 4 1/2 % grade) dropped down to 170
    decided to try and climb back up, bad move, climbed to 245 and held steady to top then overheated.

while sitting there on the side of the road feeling stupid, (no phone, coffee, or cigerettes.) i felt that the radiator was ice cold, further the lower rad hose was warm but no where near 275, the t stat housing was red hot but the hose was not nearly as hot.

after cooling i drove back home at low speed, stopped for a new t stat.
    flushed system and replaced t stat.

now it seems to be running steady around 200, locally, too scared to take it back on the highway.

sound like a clogged radiator????

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

Re: clogged radiator?????

Have you drained the coolant (intentionally)? If it looks crappy you may have a clogged radiator, but that tends to be a less common issue judging from post histories. You did the t-stat already, I would check the water pump belt and tensioner, (driver's side end of front camshaft cover, under a black shield) R&R if necessary and head for the highway. Bring cell phone, smokes and mechanic lubricant, maybe pack a lunch.

krimson_cardnal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96DeVille

Check 3/4" cross over coming off the thermo housing to the expansion tank as well. At cold idle pull the end going to the tank, you should see a flow, if not it's clogged, clear it if needed. 200 local is not a problem. My 96DeVille runs 207 +- local and high way. Small spikes are not necessarily a problem - unaccounted for loss of coolant is. What your seeing could be air lock. Have you felt the heater hoses going through the fire wall, both should be hot. Do like chubby says and be sure to bring your ciggies. K_C

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I don't like the sound of continually having to add coolant.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.