PLEASE HELP!!! Stalling when warm and smoking alternator
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, PLEASE HELP!!! Stalling when warm and smoking alternator in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I bought my Grandma's Cadillac last week and although I knew it had a few problems its been more than ...
    boysatt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

PLEASE HELP!!! Stalling when warm and smoking alternator

I bought my Grandma's Cadillac last week and although I knew it had a few problems its been more than I bargained for. Its a 1994 Seville with the 4.6 Northstar. I bought it knowing it had a coolant leak and shot AC compressor. I could not drive the car far because the AC compressor was chewing itself up.

Well I put on a Delco Reman AC compressor, new radiator and all new hoses in the cooling and heating system. Finally got to drive it for a bit, ran good with a steady miss, and would die occasionally. Checked the plugs and wires and found 2 plugs carbon tracking and wrong plugs installed. After new plugs and wires at $150+ it ran like a champ. Took it out for a drive and about 30 minutes later after car was at normal operation temp it started stalling out whenever I came to a stop or coasting to a stop.

Took it back home and after popping the hood with it run running I immediately noticed smoke coming off the front side of the motor, took me 1/2 hour to determin the alternator was smoking, it is working properly and charging fine, but smokes and when I used a laser themo gauge on it the outside casing was about 280-300 degrees. I took the belt off and no more smoking, I spun the alt over by hand and spun like new. Any ideas?

Also the car stalls and dies only after reaching operating temp, though the alternator was causing it, but still does it after removing the belt. The motor cannot seem to catch itself soon enough and just dies like you turned the key off. No check engine light either. Did th usual tests, no current codes in the computer, good vaccum, good fuel pressure, good compression, etc...

So I was frustrated with it for a while and let it sit for a 1/2 hour and decided to put it in the garage, it would not start, or it would only run for a second or 2, so I had to push it in. Now this morning, it started fine and ran perfect, not missing a beat, alternator not smoking yet. Not until it warmed up and the same problems again.

Any help would be awesome, its a really nice car and I already have sunk a grand into it, to get me this far.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! Stalling when warm and smoking alternator

Check the battery and cables. Just guessing that maybe the alternator is working too hard to try and charge the battery or the cables are corroded causing too much resistance assuming that the bearing felt good as you seemed to indicate.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.