could this be anything else?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, could this be anything else? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; my 2000 deville is overheating after about 15 mins but im not losing any antifreeze from what it seems.....i changed ...
    killacoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville dts, 2007 sts v8

could this be anything else?

my 2000 deville is overheating after about 15 mins but im not losing any antifreeze from what it seems.....i changed the waterpump and the t-stat the bottom hose goin to the radiator seems to be staying kinda cold or atleast not as hot as the rest i changed the t-stat twice already. everyone is telling me its the head is most likely the casue and that its getting presurized but i have no other signs of head failure. is there anything else it could be??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: could this be anything else?

Is the thermostat facing in the correct direction ? If you're not overheating and blowing coolant out the pressure cap then it wouldn't appear to be a head gasket. The only sure way to find out is to have a coolant sample test done by a dealer or radiator shop. You can also buy a test kit at some large auto parts houses. There's 5/8" a purge line going from near the thermostat housing to the upper side of the surge tank. With the car cold and the cap off, does the purge line spit coolant when you start/idle the car ? If not, it's plugged and the system is probably airbound somewhere. .......and, is the water pump belt and tensioner in good condition and functioning properly ?

i am overheating the belt is spinning and the tstat is the right way

if the head was bad wouldnt i be losing coolant from the overfill......is the surge tank the same as the overfill?

krimson_cardnal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96DeVille

Re: submariner - Check purge line. If you're concerned about the head do a coolant check. It will confirm combustion gases in the coolant or not. K_C

the only cause for gases in the coolant is the head?

krimson_cardnal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96DeVille

Yes. The coolant system is sealed. You should not see any loss and you're not. HG failure typically leaks combustion gases into the cooling gallery, also pushing coolant out of the system overflow. No other way the gases can get there, thus the value of testing. You can also check cylinder compression, but as a first step the coolant check seems like a quicker and easier option.

What symptoms of over heating are you having? As sub pointed out, could be air lock. Check that purge line while you tackling the coolant test. Both DIY tasks. K_C

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.