99" Sts, Rough Idle When Cold. Help!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99" Sts, Rough Idle When Cold. Help!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi guys, I have a 99 sts with 80k miles. The engine shakes terribly on cold start ups until it ...
    VIPERRACING is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

99" Sts, Rough Idle When Cold. Help!!!

Hi guys, I have a 99 sts with 80k miles. The engine shakes terribly on cold start ups until it warms up. It looks as if it has a broken motor mount from how bad it shakes. I have no clue whats wrong with it. Can someone show me a pic of the were the egr valve is so that I can make a block off plate for it. Thanks for any and all help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 99" Sts, Rough Idle When Cold. Help!!!

Block off the EGR and you wind up with incredible ignition knock. Better to fix the real problem.

Any trouble codes come up ? If the engine shakes until it warms up, then there's a problem with some emission contol function which drops off when the system goes closed loop.

No codes. Will I still get knock if I keep it plugged in so that the computer still reads it after I block off the egr? thanks for all your help.

Highline Cady is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Nitrous03DHS,AJtune,Corsa,Volant,3.71s,Grille,tinted,stall'd

Could be pistons, generally referred to as "piston slap." That kind of can come and go. Sounds like a ford diesel at times. As I think about it however I think that problem was more common on 02-03's. Cams were known to give a lousy idle, the fix=replacement cams.

Hope it's nothing that serious, good luck.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Piston slap aka cold carbon rap is noisy, but doesn't cause a rough idle. I think there may be a picture of the EGR valve in the Tech Tips tutorial on cleaning it, but DON"T block it.

Is your coolant level holding steady?

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Naw saw this symptom for almost a year with a partially lifted head, would allow just enough of a compression drop to miss until everything warmend up and sealed itself up, do yourself a favor, go down to a radiator shop and get a dye test of your coolant for hydrocarbon (combustion gasses) presence in your coolant. If you have an air compressor you can do a leak down test which is far more accurate and may tell you if you have a problem with an intake, exhaust valve, piston ring or head gasket...

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    Naw saw this symptom for almost a year with a partially lifted head, would allow just enough of a compression drop to miss until everything warmend up and sealed itself up, do yourself a favor, go down to a radiator shop and get a dye test of your coolant for hydrocarbon (combustion gasses) presence in your coolant. If you have an air compressor you can do a leak down test which is far more accurate and may tell you if you have a problem with an intake, exhaust valve, piston ring or head gasket...
    This is exactly what the car is doing. It only has a very rough idle on cold start ups or after it sits for a couple of hours after driving it and then it clears it self out after it warms up. Im totally baffled and frustrated. I just bought a new dts also. I really think that these engines are junk and that gm is ripping us off. For god sacks, 80k miles and its already starting to have problems like this, what a piece of shit. The bad thing is I buy all my cars new and I know that they have never been driven hard or abused. Oh well, thank you to all that has chimed in, you guys rock.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.