Where to find new camshafts?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Where to find new camshafts? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 1995 aurora and need a new camshaft that drives the water pump. My water pump siezed and ...
    93greeneldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Where to find new camshafts?

I have a 1995 aurora and need a new camshaft that drives the water pump. My water pump siezed and when it did it broke the end that drives it off the camshaft. Nobody local has one in their junkyard and my deal cannot find a new one. Does anybody here have one they might want to sell? Could I use a camshaft off of a 4.6? If so, which motor would work? Any leads is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: Where to find new camshafts?

Quote Originally Posted by 93greeneldo View Post
    I have a 1995 aurora and need a new camshaft that drives the water pump. My water pump siezed and when it did it broke the end that drives it off the camshaft. Nobody local has one in their junkyard and my deal cannot find a new one. Does anybody here have one they might want to sell? Could I use a camshaft off of a 4.6? If so, which motor would work? Any leads is appreciated.
    The camshaft is the same as a 4.6L VIN Y 275hp

I will look for a new one at a supplier I have

any leads? anyone?

any leads? anyone?
    I have to call today.

any results?

any results?
    YES I got an answer.
    I called a major supplier. When I was at the facility a couple of years ago they had 4'X4'x4' bins full of raw cams. This is a performance manufacturing company that I thought was mostly making SBC parts, but I saw a full bins labeled Isuzu and another labeled Mits.
    I called a few days ago and talked to a new guy. He said NO we don't do Northstar cams.

I called back yesterday and asked to talk to the other guy that had been there for years. I was transferred to John Steely
    I asked him for his email address and sent him all the cam specs that I have listed.

I have a source for used cams (scrap). I asked if they can be reground if they don't have any or a source for new cores.

Sorry for the delay. I had lost Johns email address. I have to get cams for my car before I stick the blower on.

If they don't do them now can I talk them into making them? hmm

Maybe the new guy did not know that they have some.

I will hear back from John this morning. He has always been good like that. He made up some GM 2.2L "cam in block/non ecotec" circle track cams for me on the spot. Three days from design to my door.

GM cams are like $400 to $500 correct?
    The race cam I had him build for me cost $175 including shipping.

Im really looking for more like a used cam to save money. I am going to start putting new or reground parts on the car i mine as well replace the engine as it will be cheaper. Anyone have a wrecked car or a blown motor they want to sell parts off of?

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I see entire cylinder heads on e-bay for cheap sometimes

I have been looking there but as of yet I havent found anything. Is there anybody in the southeast wisconsin area that has a blown engine or dead engine that i can beg borrow or steal a camshaft off. I have to go to detroit next week, anybody in that area? any junkyards where their might be one of these cars in?

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

There's a million of them to choose from at www.car-part.com for $75 or less. What's the problem?
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

I searched on camshafts this morning and there was no listings. Not that there are no N*, there's plenty but I would not be surprised if most yards do not want to put the time into pulling them because its a bitch of a job unless the motor is out. I expect they also may only part down cooked motors - with the demand for N* it many be a rare thing.

Thanks for showing me that car part website, for some i couldnt find it before, there are a bunch listed now i just gotta get one pulled off for me. On a side note, my mechanic said it would only be three hours or so to swap the camshaft, is he right< i was planning on doing it myself, or am i getting in over my head?

Thanks for showing me that car part website, for some i couldnt find it before, there are a bunch listed now i just gotta get one pulled off for me. On a side note, my mechanic said it would only be three hours or so to swap the camshaft, is he right< i was planning on doing it myself, or am i getting in over my head?
    Did you get my PM?

ya but havent called yet been busy, gotta go to detroit to pivk up another car. any comments on the degree of difficulty replacing the camshaft?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.