Root Cause of Head gasket Failure and a Fix? - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Like Tree4Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Root Cause of Head gasket Failure and a Fix? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Not really. Either way will get the job done. Studs are far better if you are going to pull the ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Root Cause of Head gasket Failure and a Fix?

Not really. Either way will get the job done. Studs are far better if you are going to pull the heads again, but nobody ever plans on doing THAT twice.

P.S.
    Timesert also offers the coarser thread pitch. That would be their Bigsert.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Could someone please direct me to the thread about rwd or awd Northstar head bolt issues compared to fwd Northstar head bolt issues. Thanks. Or please give you're opinion on the matter.

97EldoCoupe is offline Owner of Northstar Performance
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Not really. Either way will get the job done. Studs are far better if you are going to pull the heads again, but nobody ever plans on doing THAT twice.

P.S.
    Timesert also offers the coarser thread pitch. That would be their Bigsert.
    Not correct. The pitch remains at 1.5mm, unless you're using the M11x2.0 inserts, than the external thread pitch remains at 2.0mm.

Timesert has a patent on their inserts, that the external and internal threads are synchronized. You can't synchronize threads unless the same pitch is maintained externally and internally.

The coarser the threads, the less chance of thread failure again. That's why most inserts are considered a band-aid fix. Sometimes they hold, sometimes they don't.

M11x2.0 was an improvement. But it's far from the fix.

Nothing will beat a stud as far as accurate torque/clamp load distribution. Nothing will beat coarse threads in aluminum. Nobody want's something that is "almost as good as factory" or "might work". You want something that will not fail.

http://www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php (patent pending).

jamie1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS

Looks like my son is one of the 'lucky' ones, car is starting overheat, losing coolant, white smoke when cold, seems to go away as it warms up, (for now). It's an '98 STS, 136k on it. We've recently changed out the radiator, alternator, power steering pump, tires, now this. Trying to decide if it's worth going with a remanufactured engine, not sure who even has them that are done right, probably nearing $5,000 for the whole job, right? And he's at college, just great!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Read back through this thread. Many options already posted.

virginiacaddi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Is their any insert that you can put in after shop has just done insert job head gasket failed in two days or is their any cheaper way to get kit for studs (wich my new mechanic believes is a better idea) any cheaper since Im only redoing the back head gasket that was leaking???? And if so can you install the studs and get heads on when the motors still in?? Since I just paid a guy 1400 when he didn't follow the procedure of my warranty CARS PROTECTION PLUS and my claim got denied AND was left with a car tore apart and a job that cost 1400 and a warranty company and a mechanic that screwed me over ..its been a nightmare and a expence I that has put me in debt so I need a good permenent cheaper stud solution...please anyone

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by virginiacaddi View Post
    Im only redoing the back head gasket that was leaking????
    This screams for trouble. It's like replacing body parts on a car that has a frame damage. Do it right this time, and the car will last.
    97EldoCoupe likes this.

jamie1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS

Quote Originally Posted by virginiacaddi View Post
    Is their any insert that you can put in after shop has just done insert job head gasket failed in two days or is their any cheaper way to get kit for studs (wich my new mechanic believes is a better idea) any cheaper since Im only redoing the back head gasket that was leaking???? And if so can you install the studs and get heads on when the motors still in?? Since I just paid a guy 1400 when he didn't follow the procedure of my warranty CARS PROTECTION PLUS and my claim got denied AND was left with a car tore apart and a job that cost 1400 and a warranty company and a mechanic that screwed me over ..its been a nightmare and a expence I that has put me in debt so I need a good permenent cheaper stud solution...please anyone
    If I understand you correctly, inserts were installed and then failed? Depending on the insert size, I'd think there might not be enough material left to drill, tap and install a stud. From what I've read, (after stepping into an ongoing 'conflict' between the two stud kit vendors, I did a lot of reading), studs require the engine to be removed on a N*, pretty common on most cars, I've installed studs on a couple of V8s, (no N*s). Sorry to hear about you're issues, sounds like you're getting hit big time, sucks.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Depending on the insert first used, you might be able to rebuild the engine using studs from a couple of suppliers discussed in several threads OR use Norm Huhn's NS300L inserts - www.huhnsolutions.com

The big question - determined by a GOOD Northstar mechanic - "Is there enough block metal left to allow the larger diameter stud threads or NS300L threads to have sufficient "bite" in the newly cut block threads ?"

IF you can use studs, the engine probably has to come out of the car - there is no way to rotate it forward far enough to allow the right (rear) head to slip down over the studs. Some have opined that it might be possible to land the head (with the engine in the car) and then screw in the studs - but that precludes the necessary use of the head alignment locator dowel pins.

"Cheaper" - Unfortunately, good machine work is NOT cheap - neither are good parts. When I stud a marine Olds 455 it adds about $450 to the final price (about $7,500).

97EldoCoupe is offline Owner of Northstar Performance
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Jim, it does work to stud the engine in the car. On some models easier than others. I've never done it; but my customers have done it and told me it was tight but it worked.

Personally it's just as easy to pull the engine. But for those who just cannot, it does work.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

^^^ yep - that's why I posted the cautions.

That method isn't something that the once-in-a-while shadetree mechanic should attempt. Too much room for error, both during the necessary hole drilling/tapping and the actual stud+head insertion.

........... and my back wouldn't let me do it now, anyway ........... (I could hang Evrett upside-down with a chain fall, though ......)

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post

........... and my back wouldn't let me do it now, anyway ........... (I could hang Evrett upside-down with a chain fall, though ......)

BAHAHAHAHAHA, i Dont think my back would be able to handle that.

P.S. Thanks for spelling my name right.
    Replacing the Head Gaskets on a Northstar? Use our SureGrip Cylinder Head Stud Kit!

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP

you can do it all night Evrett lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.