Root Cause of Head gasket Failure and a Fix? - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Root Cause of Head gasket Failure and a Fix? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by caddypit Very informative, I have a 95 sts, timeserts where done about 90,000 mile ago and it’s ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Root Cause of Head gasket Failure and a Fix?

Quote Originally Posted by caddypit View Post
    Very informative, I have a 95 sts, timeserts where done about 90,000 mile ago and it’s now leaking again, with your history in this problem would it be possible to do additional repairs at this point? I used to be a machinist so do as much as possible myself if possible and if having the specialty tools Thanks
    Talk directly to Jake at www.northstarperformance.com or Norm Huhn at www.huhnsolutions.com

These are the guys who make the studs and inserts from scratch - they have the real answers.

Inkredible is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 91 Deville

MaduraMi,
    did you pull your engine out the top or bottom?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Inkredible View Post
    MaduraMi, did you pull your engine out the top or bottom? Mark
    He hasn't been here in a long time.............

It sounds daunting, but for the home DIY, dropping the whole drivetrain makes the most sense. You can stud the block without removing the engine from the cradle. If the lower end is tight there's no sense taking the engine completely apart.

You will need a real GM/Helm service manual - lots of settings and torque work to pay attention to.

Inkredible is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 91 Deville

Hi Sub,
    I was curious how he did it. I know that it can be done in the car with studs, but I have heard that the engine has to be tipped forward, and wanted to find out if that was true. I have a chance to buy a nice 2000STS for cheap that has a blown HG. And anyways, can they all be done with the engine coming out the top is what I want to know. Does the FSM say to take the engine out from the bottom?
    Mark

Carroll Cadillac is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): '00 SLS, '65 CoupeDev, '96Dev, '89Eldo, '01DTS, etc...

• The finest Northstar Head Stud to date, correctly engineered to be installed at the correct depth.
    • No multiple types of studs to deal with.
    • No confusion or complications.
    • No expensive Jig plate to buy.
    • Installation takes less time.
    • Full tech support, we will always answer the phones or return your call within minutes.
    • Studs shipped immediately!!! (2-3 day priority)
    • Unlimited stock on hand.
    My studs.jpg
    • There is an alternative to both Timeserts and the studs in question.
    • In collaboration with the leading head stud manufacture, ARP, and based on GM's technology of proper depth.
    • There is NO other stud more reliable or easier to install.
    • Less expensive and over engineered to out perform all other manufacturers.
    These studs are being sold world wide, with a lifetime warranty and they are completely utilitarian.
    We have provided the complete specs on these studs for your convenience.
    Why? Because Cadillac's is our hobby, and making it affordable to own one is our goal.
    We are Cadillac Clubs Northwest and do what we do for the love of the car.

Call or email us anytime for a consultation or feel free to stop by our Cadillac Ranch.
    Come and visit our Cadillac restoration department where Cadillac's is all we do!

Carroll Custom Cadillac
    http://carrollcustomcadillac.com
    503-895-2124
    6610 NW 299th ST
    Ridgefield WA 98642
    mtflight and mtflight like this.

Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)

but ultimately, there is a cause of the failure... overheating mainly (right)

These parts dont just fail without some sort of precipitating factor.... yes?

phoenix.rj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 sts

I have a 97 STS. Two years ago ,it At 120,000k, it started using coolant through the exhaust at a rate of a gallon per 30 k. since the cost was prohibitive for a 13 year year old car, $6k-$10k, I took a chance on a formula out of California for $300. Although, I'm not a certified mechanic, I have work on about every aspect of cars, including repairing many heads throughout my 63 year, so I never believed in a cure out of a bottle. In this case, I love the car and to repair the "right way" was out of the question, so I tried a product called Thermo Gasket, and to my surprise - IT WORKED. Today I have over 150,000k on it, live in a cold climate, Canada, and my car is runs like a clock. I keep my eye on the coolant and have to add about a liter every 6 to 9 months. I can live with that.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Tankboy, overheating is a symptom not a cause ... the cause is the whole reason for this thread
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by Tankboy40 View Post
    but ultimately, there is a cause of the failure... overheating mainly (right) These parts dont just fail without some sort of precipitating factor.... yes?
    You have the cart before the horse: Overheating for some reason will NOT cause the head bolt hole threads in the block to fail; rather, the threads disintegrate for one of several reasons, one or more bolts lose clamping pressure, the gasket begins to fail, exhaust gas enters the cooling system and blows off coolant, leading to water pump cavitation and subsequent overheating.

The exhaust gas, in and of itself, does not overheat the engine. I believe the open deck design is contributory to gasket failure. Even though the head gaskets incorporate a stainless steel fire ring, perhaps the block (each cylinder) should also have been O-ringed - read up on the procedure.

Black Beauty DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DTS

I'm wondering if anyone knows if any lab tests were done to determine how corrosive the Dexcool becomes if left in the cooling system for 5 years or more. I know that it becomes more acidic, but test results would help to prove if this is one of the leading causes of thread failure.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Not that I have ever heard of, but that does not mean much.

nyukcubed, Your post and coolant question has been moved to a new thread in the advice section, down about 8 threads below this one. "2000 STS coolant problems".

You'll get far more exposure and advice if you keep your questions out of the "sticky" posts.

1stkobefan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac DTS

Thanks for the info.

I need to know what's a decent/avg price for head gasket replacement on an 02 DTS?

Is this something I should have done by a GM/Cadillac service center ONLY?

If I understood correctly the inserts aren't necessary if the block itself isn't damaged and the 2003 or later bolts are used? But if there block damage the inserts have to be used?

Inserts or studs are used regardless - the head gaskets fail due to cylinder block bolt hole thread failure, not the other way around.

A head gasket job at a Cadillac dealer will easily run $4,500 ++++.

Try to get in touch with either Jake at www.northstarperformance.com or Tim at www.carrollcustomcadillac.com or Norm at www.huhnsolutions.com and find out if there is/are shops in your area doing the work and using their head stud/insert (bulletproof) kits. Usually half the dealer pricing.

Go back and read Post #159 - plus as much of this thread as you can ........... it's all in here.

jamie1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS

In looking at the 'solutions', huhnsolutions uses inserts, northstarperformance and carroll use studs with large threads for the block. Other than huhn giving you the option of studs or bolts, any reason to choose one or the other?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.