2002 Deville poor gas mileage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2002 Deville poor gas mileage in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 2002 that was great on mileage until about 6 months ago there was a factory recall to ...
    Sam Mize is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2002 Deville poor gas mileage

I have a 2002 that was great on mileage until about 6 months ago there was a factory recall to replace a fuel sensor. Since then my mileage has dropped about 4 to 5 miles per gallon. I've taken my car back to the dealer several times and they say there is nothing wrong. How can I get this corrected. The car has 25,000 miles on it.
    Thanks
    Sam

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 2002 Deville poor gas mileage

Are you basing the fuel economy comparison on the electronic AVG MPG or on actual fill data at the pump??

Any changes in your driving style or schedule...?? Just a little more city driving can dramatically affect the average.

One thing to do is to fill the tank and reset the electronic data on the fuel data center. Run thru several tanks of fuel and keep records of the fuel added. Fill the tank at the same station and pump in the same manner to compute the total fuel used and actual average MPG. Compare this to the electronic data over this same time period. If the numbers match closely then the system is probably working correctly and the change in fuel economy would more likely be attributed to driving schedule, weather, tires, brakes, etc.... If the numbers do NOT match closely then it is an indication that unmetered fuel is entering the system and would indicate a problem that can be diagnosed. Something like the fuel pressure regulator could be seeping fuel internally and causing rich operation due to the unmetered fuel entering the system. This would show up in differences in the actual vs. electronic MPG.

Any change in tires or tire inflation? Different tires/low pressure can cause dramatic changes in fuel economy also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.