No 24x Refrence Signal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, No 24x Refrence Signal in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am getting a SERVICE VEHICLE SOON on my info center display after the last arctic cold snap.Its a 4.6 ...
    JimLucky is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 93 eldo Z

No 24x Refrence Signal

I am getting a SERVICE VEHICLE SOON on my info center display after the last arctic cold snap.Its a 4.6 93 ELDO ,my PCM codes are PO25,PO23,PO30.The engine runs ok with an occasional miss at idle other than that the enginel has good power and accelerates fine. I took to a friend at NAPA and they did a diagnostic check and said they got the same codes and found all cylinders are getting a week spark signal.

He was also shocked when he puled a plug and found cheap MOTOR CRAFT
    Plugs and wires.This was the previous owners Tune Up.That he was telling me about when I repurchased the car 2 years ago.

TOM at NAPA recomenns a new ICM and possible one or all coil packs be replaced saying cheap plugs are known to burn out ICMs and coils.Then move on to to other codes if they are still present.Of course all replacement parts would be AC/DELCO including NEW PULGS .
    I have also found that it could be the PCM.

Am I on the write track with this repair before I START BUYING PARTS?
    Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: No 24x Refrence Signal

Seems like nobody wants to touch my post so Ill update it.From my research thus far .The shop manual says it could be caused by three things.ICM,PCM,or
    crank sensor.$25 for a crank sensor which will be my first shot.

I find it hard to believe the ICM is failing as well as the car is running.

PCM will be my second shot.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Not ignoring you. Just no ideas. Sorry. Maybe one of the techs will chime in.

zbuickman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): northstar ignited Big Block

Ok sorry Ive been out for a hile. Ill take this one on . If the ICM is not putting out the 24X signal there is one of 4 possabillities. as mentioned before 1 bad ICM but at over $400 this would be the last thing Id throw at it. or any 1 of these three sennsors. crank A, crank B, or your cam sensor. if you lose any one of these three your ICM will drop out the 24x signal prompting a MIL. Your car will still run fine as any two of the three sensors are needed for funcionality. if you are still recieving a cam out puse from your ICM then that would further narrow it down to crank A or B. and since these are the same part or further only $40 just buy both and be done

Happy motoring

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Very interesting info, zbuickman - thanks for that. I think I read that you may have to take the car to the dealer to have the crank sensor offset re-calibrated if you change them? Maybe someone else can add something about that.

I finally got a break in the weather and found a ICM junk yard $80 w 4coils on it nice deal considering $650 for the shot new.Guaranty for 3 mo.Just threw in the
    IMC only, p025 code is gone.

The bad ICM was causing the following codes,
    p025
    p023
    p030

Thanks everyone for your help and helping me keep my car out of the shop!!!

I also installed the correct spark plugs AC/DELCO Professional platnium .

In the process the starter started failing and did the intake manifold board trick not having to disconnect the throttle body parts.Very easy it was nice not to have to crawl under the car for a starter R&R.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.