97 Deville w/ N* Battery(?) problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 97 Deville w/ N* Battery(?) problems in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok to start off hear are my symptoms -No elecetrical Power -Battery gets good charge reading when hooked up to ...
    bushe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

97 Deville w/ N* Battery(?) problems

Ok to start off hear are my symptoms

-No elecetrical Power
    -Battery gets good charge reading when hooked up to charger
    -Car gets half power when hooked up the charger

Ok now some background, 97 deville 195k miles, 1st new battery put in 4 month ago about two weeks ago woke up one morning and got a no start. Put the car on the battery charger let charge for one day next day car ran fine doing errands and stuff throughout the day, but next morning no start again, so went back to Walmart and got a warranty replacement battery. Put battery in, but no start, but the car was getting power. Next day i searched online and found something about reprogramming the key smart chip by having ing on for 10 then off, then on again for 10 .... did that and car cranked but still no start so put it on the charger and within a few minutes in started right up. Car ran fine for about 3 days and woke up this morning and no start or power to the car again. When i hook the charger to the battery it reads that it is about 14volts and the car gets power in the dash but its flickering. Not sure what to try at this point any direction would be great thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 97 Deville w/ N* Battery(?) problems

Make sure that the cables are clean and tight.

The cables are tight I am sure of that maybe corrosion, but I cleaned them earlier this week it was dark when I did it so i guess i could have not gotten all of it, but could it re-corrode that fast? thanks

No, but if there was a lot of corrosion it could have gotten under the insulation, so check it closely.

Ok used baking soda and water on the battery and im still getting nothing unless the battery is hooked up to the charger. Also now when the charger is connected I get a click click click every few seconds coming from the right above the driver side wheel well where all the fuses are. I am lost on this I thought maybe it was a bad ground but I regrounded part of it and it still does the same thing. Oh and thanks for the help ranger hopefully i will get her running again.

See if you can locate that click. Maybe a bad relay? Not sure, but I think I recall a starter enable relay.

Sounds/feels like the click is coming from the inadvert power relay. Maybe its a bad relay, but can this relay cause enough trouble that the car gets no power at all(dash, seats, windows, etc), thanks for the help.

Not sure. Swap it with another relay to eliminate it.

Replacing the relay made me be able to get the car back running but after I replaced it the car would run fine for a day and the battery would die overnight. After alittle searching I found that the Power antenna stopped working and was constantly draining power from the car, so I just unplugged the antenna and everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks for your help Ranger even though it turned out to be something dumb, I appreciate your help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.